Claiming Christ

J Green

I just received a Baker Publishing Group catalog that included the following book promo:

Claiming Christ: A Mormon-Evangelical Debate

Robert L. Millet and Gerald R. McDermott

(November 2007, 240 pages)

In Claiming Christ, respected scholars Gerald McDermott, and evangelical, and Robert Millet, a Mormon, engage in a back-and-forth exchange comparing evangelical and Mormon views on one of the most significant issues dividing and uniting the two faiths: the identity of Jesus. Topics covered include sources of authority, the Trinity, Christ's passion and atonement, the Gospels and The Book of Mormon, the church and the sacraments, salvation in Christ, and the fate of the unevangelized. Throughout the conversation the authors exhibit genuine respect for one another, seeking to clear up misconceptions and find common ground even as they dig deeply into each faith's texts and traditions. The result is a fair, thoroughly researched analysis that will be a valuable resource for students in college and seminary apolgetics courses, pastors, and lay readers.

Anyone heard any reviews about this yet?

I'm looking at the reviews on the back cover at Amazon.com. I like this one by John Stackhouse:

â??It is difficult to imagine two scholars from the mainstream of Mormonism and the mainstream of orthodox Christianity better suited to engage in such a frank and fair debate over the person of Jesus, the heart of each faith. This book is deeply valuable for the ways in which it will advance the emerging dialogueâ??rather than the traditional mutual recriminationâ??between members of these two groups. It is also significant as a model of constructive and critical dialogue among members of different faiths at a time in our society when such dialogue can be drowned out by simplistic screamers on all sides.â? â??John G. Stackhouse Jr., author of No Other Gods before Me? Evangelicals and the Challenge of World Religions

The phrase "simplistic screamers" describes well the Shaffinators of the world. I'll be interested to read the book.

I just found an interview with McDermott here on Moorehead's Musings. His is the very last item on the page, and he touches on the book in the last question.

Also, on the Reformed Baptist Thinker blog found here, John Moorehead states in a comment that he provided some 'editorial feedback':

At 1:47 PM, John W. Morehead said...

I have found McDermott's books very helpful and refreshing pieces of scholarship for theological reflection and missional praxis. Since the McDermott and Millet book has not been read yet, even though some have found other books by these two disappointing, I would encourage readers to withhold judgment until the volume is available. I had the privilege of reading an advance copy of drafts of chapters as the project developed and I provided editorial feedback, and I think the reader will appreciate this effort.

Lastly, this is billed as the link for the full text of the introduction at Brazos Press, but I'm having trouble loading it.

This book's arrival in November will be much appreciated, as it

will give me something to read while the much of the rest of the

family is watching football...or a parade. After years of having

to endure both, I will save it until then.

Thanks for announcing it.

...even though some have found other books by these two disappointing, I would encourage readers to withhold judgment until the volume is available....

What other books have Millet and McDermott put out?

This book's arrival in November will be much appreciated, as it

will give me something to read while the much of the rest of the

family is watching football...or a parade. After years of having

to endure both, I will save it until then.

Blasphemy! This is the most glorious time of the year! Recant, heretic! :P

I just found an interview with McDermott here on Moorehead's Musings. His is the very last item on the page, and he touches on the book in the last question.

Also, on the Reformed Baptist Thinker blog found

Thank you for the link to Moorehead's Musings. What a thoughtful and insightful blog. I especially enjoyed the comparison he makes between the approach of certain groups (Joesphlied.com, Mohammedlied.com, etc.) and the Monty Python & the Holy Grail witch scene...priceless.

His comments on the need for a respectful approach to those of other religions, and the need to be an example of Christian values and teachings were refreshing and appreciated. Made me appreciate our own Rhinomelon even more.

Thank you for the link to Moorehead's Musings. What a thoughtful and insightful blog. I especially enjoyed the comparison he makes between the approach of certain groups (Joesphlied.com, Mohammedlied.com, etc.) and the Monty Python & the Holy Grail witch scene...priceless.

His comments on the need for a respectful approach to those of other religions, and the need to be an example of Christian values and teachings were refreshing and appreciated. Made me appreciate our own Rhinomelon even more.

Hi, Hearserve

I too appreciate those who actually engage in real conversation as opposed to the "simplistic screamers." The quote from Elder Ashton still serves us well:

When others disagree with our stand we should not argue, retaliate in kind, or contend with them. â?¦ Ours is to explain our position through reason, friendly persuasion, and accurate facts. Ours is to stand firm and unyielding on the moral issues of the day and the eternal principles of the gospel, but to contend with no man or organization. Contention builds walls and puts up barriers. Love opens doors. â?¦ Contention never was and never will be an ally of progress (in Conference Report, Apr. 1978, 10; or Ensign, May 1978, 7â??8).

I feel that this board can sometimes be a great forum for reason and friendly persuasion, so I too appreciate Rhinomelon and others who engage in understanding and constructive dialog as opposed to those who see this as another temple square forum in which to scream idiotically at passersby.

Hi, Aquilifer:

I don't know if these are complete, but you can find a list of Robet Millet's books here and McDermott's here (under Related Products).

Ah, ok, from the context of Reformed Baptist Peacher's comments, I mistakenly thought that maybe Millet and McDermott had co-authored some earlier works that weren't well-received. My bad. I certainly know of Millet's work. Thanks to your pointer, I might have to look into McDermott as well. :P

Hard to say, since the book isn't out yet. However, the introduction is available, and it's very promising. I love how Robert Millet closes his portion of the introduction:

One day each of us will stand at the bar of judgment and make our

profession before the Almighty. I rather doubt that the Master will give

to us a theological exam (although I certainly believe in the importance

of correct doctrine). Rather, God will want to know what we have done

with his Son and the extent to which we have been conformed to his

image (Rom. 8:29; 2 Cor. 3:18) and have begun to embody his divine

attributes and qualities. In that great day, charity will matter far more

than cleverness; character will be treasured far more than charisma.

Who and what we have become, how we have come to mirror our Lord

and Savior in his treatment of people, and the extent to which we have

become instruments and ambassadors of his peaceâ??these are the things

that will matter most.

That should be the motto for message boards like this. Sign me up for my copy!

Archived