Barkers, Heisers, And Gees: Oh My!

J Green

I was perusing the new catalog for the AAR/SBL annual conference (Nov, San Diego) and saw a few items of interest:

Barker will be presenting Melchizedek, Priest of God Most High on Monday afternoon (19 Nov) as part of Latter-day Saints and the Bible Consultation (S19-72). Also presenting in this group are David Seely, Dana Pike, Taylor Halverson, Donald Parry, and Alden Thompson.

Heiser will be recognized as the Northwest Region regional scholar for his paper on and Yahweh and El in Deut 32 and Psalm 82.

John Gee will be presenting An Egyptian Version of Atramhasis? as part of the Assyriology and the Bible Section (S19-55) on Monday, 19 November.

So despite protest from critics here and elsewhere, it seems as if 1) Barker is content to examine LDS thought vis-a-vis her own OT Weltanschau, and 2) John Gee keeps behaving like a scholar recognized in his own field. All that aside, it looks like a terrific conference. I just don't imagine the Army will pay for me to attend workshops and lectures on textual criticism and Deuteronomistic history.

Barker will be presenting Melchizedek, Priest of God Most High on Monday afternoon (19 Nov) as part of Latter-day Saints and the Bible Consultation (S19-72). Also presenting in this group are David Seely, Dana Pike, Taylor Halverson, Donald Parry, and Alden Thompson.

Poor Lady, she had no idea she was gonna have to deal so much with those satanic corrupted marmons.

As a member of said organization, I am very excited because I just got my hands on The Great Angel. This is my first Barker book and my only complaint is that I wish had more time.

Sargon

What's the registration fee?

Members of SBL or AAR:

Super-Saver (May 16â??Sept 15) $ 135

Advance (Sept 16â??Oct 15) $ 165

Regular (Oct 16â??Nov 20) $ 210

Non-Members:

Super-Saver $ 275

Advance $ 325

Regular $ 375

Then there are the transportation, food, and lodging costs . . .

The registration and housing packet can be found here.

Members of SBL or AAR:

Super-Saver (May 16–Sept 15) $ 135

Advance (Sept 16–Oct 15) $ 165

Regular (Oct 16–Nov 20) $ 210

Non-Members:

Super-Saver $ 275

Advance $ 325

Regular $ 375

Then there are the transportation, food, and lodging costs . . .

The registration and housing packet can be found here.

I observe that a full membership to SBL is only $65.

Even better, it's $25 to be a student member of SBL ($30 for AAR), which makes one eligible for the $70 student registration. It appears that a "student" is anyone with a current student ID.

I was perusing the new catalog for the AAR/SBL annual conference (Nov, San Diego) and saw a few items of interest:

Heiser will be recognized as the Northwest Region regional scholar for his paper on and Yahweh and El in Deut 32 and Psalm 82.

John Gee will be presenting An Egyptian Version of Atramhasis? as part of the Assyriology and the Bible Section (S19-55) on Monday, 19 November.

So despite protest from critics here and elsewhere, it seems as if 1) Barker is content to examine LDS thought vis-a-vis her own OT Weltanschau, and 2) John Gee keeps behaving like a scholar recognized in his own field. All that aside, it looks like a terrific conference. I just don't imagine the Army will pay for me to attend workshops and lectures on textual criticism and Deuteronomistic history.

I was hoping there wouldn't be anything interesting to compel me to get off of work. :::sigh:::

The abstract from the SBL page on this paper says this:

Melchizedek, Priest of God Most High

Program Unit: Latter-day Saints and the Bible

Margaret Barker, Cambridge University

The figure of Melchizedek in Genesis 14 has taken a wide variety of variant forms in Jewish and Christian literatures. His many connections with the temple, kingship, priesthood, peace, and other functions will be examined as background to the understanding of Melchizedek in the Latter-day Saint tradition.

I'll be be very interested to see this study. I did a little reflecting on Melchezidek issues in a couple of my essays, though I certainly felt like a lot more could be done.

Kevin Christensen

Pittsburgh, PA

I recently had an anonymous scholar post on my blog that Metatron, Melchizedek, Michael, and the Messiah are all the same person. I thought that was interesting, though I do't see how it can be substantiated. He has a pretty good argument though showing the various ways to read the evidences available to us.

I just don't imagine the Army will pay for me to attend workshops and lectures on textual criticism and Deuteronomistic history.

Ha, I suppose if you reclassed to chaplain or chaplain assistant, you might not get laughed out of the building if you requested funds for a tdy for that.........at least then you could claim it was job related. :P

I recently had an anonymous scholar post on my blog that Metatron, Melchizedek, Michael, and the Messiah are all the same person. I thought that was interesting, though I do't see how it can be substantiated. He has a pretty good argument though showing the various ways to read the evidences available to us.

Hey, Kerry

This scholar's argument really only stands on seeing a word as a title versus a name. Some merit to that, and he is consistent in (apparently) saying that it should never be read as a name, but that last thought really isn't mainstream, is it? Don't most text critics look at context and other factors to decide both individually and intertextually how they should be read? It would be nice if he added to the idea somehow . . . .

Just some thoughts out loud.

The post on your blog sounds alot like the use of metonyms attributed to The Book of Mormon as well.

I just somehow can't get past the point that Michael, Metartron, and Messiah are all mentioned, talked about, and talk with others as different individuals with different missions however. I dunno, I haven't been able to get the time to really sink my teeth into it all yet.

Archived