Hebrews Building Pyramids

Zakuska

Over the past several months I've heard it argued by critics (some where on the miriad of boards/threads I peruse) that because the people who built the Pyramids where not slaves, but paid engineers, architects et al. that this some how invalidates the Bibles claims of the Exodus.

This is a classic Strawman argument. The critics seem to be rebutting Hollywoods portrail of the exodus rather than the text itself.

The only thing the Bible claims that the Hebrews built in Egypt where...

Ex 1

11 Therefore they did set over them taskmasters to afflict them with their burdens. And they built for Pharaoh treasure cities, Pithom and Raamses.

And as everybody knows... these cities where made from mud bricks not hewn stone.

Over the past several months I've heard it argued by critics (some where on the miriad of boards/threads I peruse) that because the people who built the Pyramids where not slaves, but paid engineers, architects et al. that this some how invalidates the Bibles claims of the Exodus.

This is a classic Strawman argument. The critics seem to be rebutting Hollywoods portrail of the exodus rather than the text itself.

The only thing the Bible claims that the Hebrews built in Egypt where...

Ex 1

11 Therefore they did set over them taskmasters to afflict them with their burdens. And they built for Pharaoh treasure cities, Pithom and Raamses.

And as everybody knows... these cities where made from mud bricks not hewn stone.

You can thank Cecil B. DeMille for injecting this thought in our psyches. The problem is most people would rather view the reflection than the image itself. Why read the Bible when we can watch the movie instead?!

You can thank Cecil B. DeMille for injecting this thought in our psyches. The problem is most

people would rather view the reflection than the image itself. Why read the Bible when we can

watch the movie instead?!

There were at least a couple of Holywood creations showing Hebrews building pyramids -- but as

I recall, no such structures were built in and around the 18th or 19th Egyptian Dynastic periods, when

we might expect to find Semitic peoples in the Nile Delta (and much later as far south as Aswan).

Possibly some "Asiatics" were slaves, or indentured by their own people in bartering for grain, etc.

There was at least one reign of Semitic people in the Lower Kingdom -- who may or may not have been

the rulers of the biblical "Joseph in Egypt" period. Probably most of the "Asiatics" were mere migrant

workers and periodic interlopers. Kings of the 18th Dynasty, like Amenhotep III may have funded

a few such groups as Egyptian-dominated colonists over into the Sinai, Negev and southern Palestine.

Did they ever build any pyramids? I'd say no. Pyramids were built by people who loved their kings.

UD

Neither here nor there, but Michael Barsoum of Drexel University released a study earlier this year that argues that the blocks of the pyramids were cast limestone, not quarried limestone. You can find his presentation here.

That presentation is quite fascinating! :P

Did I correctly hear him say that the Egyptians were making 70 MPa concrete??! As in 10,000 PSI? That's quite impressive.

I note that he was only claiming that some of the blocks were cast, specifically the very outer and inner linings, and the top 2/5th's or so of the pyramid, but that the bulk of the pyramid was rough-cut limestone filler.

Did I correctly hear him say that the Egyptians were making 70 MPa concrete??! As in 10,000 PSI? That's quite impressive.

I note that he was only claiming that some of the blocks were cast, specifically the very outer and inner linings, and the top 2/5th's or so of the pyramid, but that the bulk of the pyramid was rough-cut limestone filler.

There are a few of the outer layer stones yet extant just below ground level on (I think) the great pyramid;

as well as some others near the top.

Were these cast from a fluid mixture? I doubt it -- but am open to the idea that "concrete" of one

sort or another existed long before Roman engineers popularized it as a building material.

An interesting subject. I'm also fascinated by L. Sprague de Camp's book "The Ancient Engineers."

UD

There are a few of the outer layer stones yet extant just below ground level on (I think) the great pyramid;

as well as some others near the top.

Were these cast from a fluid mixture? I doubt it -- but am open to the idea that "concrete" of one

sort or another existed long before Roman engineers popularized it as a building material.

An interesting subject. I'm also fascinated by L. Sprague de Camp's book "The Ancient Engineers."

UD

He was talking about the lining, just inside the outer layer of stone. His proposition is that the outer facing is genuine, carved stone block, the next few layers that give the structure much of its structural integrity are cast stone, there is a large amount of stone fill, and the inside again uses cast stone as a lining supporting the cut stone interior.

Also, that the top half (I eyeballed it as 2/5th's) of the pyramid was cast blocks all the way through, except for the facing.

He was talking about the lining, just inside the outer layer of stone. His proposition is that the outer facing is genuine, carved stone block, the next few layers that give the structure much of its structural integrity are cast stone, there is a large amount of stone fill, and the inside again uses cast stone as a lining supporting the cut stone interior.

Also, that the top half (I eyeballed it as 2/5th's) of the pyramid was cast blocks all the way through, except for the facing.

Heck! Now you've gone and gotten me interested!

Let's tear one of the things apart one dark night, when the site guards are sleeping, and see for outselves.

UD

Right, SolarPowered. The idea that all the blocks were cast has been around awhile but not very credible. This idea seems more modest and based on science. Also, the idea of casting the upper half actually strengthens the argument for ramps because it relegates the use to the lower part of the strucure.

Archived