Arson Fire at LDS Chapel in Hawaii

smac97

Here:

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will come up with about $2.5 million to replace or repair portions of a gymnasium, kitchen and offices at its Waianae church damaged by arsonists Tuesday, officials said yesterday.

The estimate was made by church officials who are here from church headquarters in Salt Lake City to survey various building projects in Hawaii, including a new chapel in Kalaeloa, said Ruben Paet, Makakilo Stake president of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Honolulu police are canvassing the area looking for witnesses. They believe the fire was started by more than one person, Detective Gary Lahens said, "because the fire was started in different areas."

Investigators have recovered some evidence and are looking for a laboratory to conduct tests on them, he said.

-Smac

Wow that sucks.

I served in Waianae on my mission. Its a very poor / rough part of Hawaii, but it was my favorite area. I have many fond memories of that chapel.

Waianae is a "tough neighborhood" on leeward Oahau. Community of Christ has an

extensive facility there -- but it has been an uphill struggle to bring in folks from the

local community.

Possibly the fire was set to destroy evidence in a burglery -- I've heard of such

things in that area before. It is not a neighborhood where you can expect to leave

your car unlocked overnight and still have the car's stereo (or even the car) the next day.

Sad...

UD

• 4 weeks later...

Sad. Apparently the person has not read the 11th article of faith.

The Articles of Faith - #11:

We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.

If the arsonists had been raised that way, they most likely would not have done this.

T-Bone

So outsourcing has even permiated the LDS building programs? Sad. I wonder if anyone builds anything based on the best craftsmen unless you have a gazillion dollars to restore a car or something.

Archived