Seriously No Politics ×

The Fellowship Of The Unashamed

Tanyan

Can you give the reference where Eyring "resurrected this quote". Sounds very Ev to me, and does not sound very much like something Eyring would quote.

Sounds verbose, and somewhat boastful to my ears. Along the lines of "My G-d is an awesome G-d" type of stuff. (see the other thread)

I like "Do it". Short, and to the point.

Elder Eyring, according to someone who says they talked to him, denied ever using the quote. I've personally read as many of Elder Eyring's talks as I can find, as I am an Eyringite, and have never seen it, or anything approaching its cadence.

Yeah, Bluebell, I don't think, actually, given your last response, that we are actually arguing over anything substantial that we disagree about.

I disagree, I believe the disagreement was largely over your comment here:

"I'm not convinced that such an expression of absolute faith and conviction, and commitment to something is really praiseworthy, or wise."

Perhaps your comment was more of a scoffing of religion than something you truly believe, as demonstrated by your love for your daughter. True love for someone can carry through any trial, you can have absolute faith and conviction and loyalty to it- even if it is damaged by something like your daughter killing someone.

Otherwise, if you can demonstrate that under no circumstances is an expression of "absolute faith and conviction, and commitment to something" can be praiseworthy, or wise, the discussion would end.

I think Bluebell doesn't believe you truly believe that without exception. I would hope you don't.

I think Bluebell doesn't believe you truly believe that without exception. I would hope you don't.

I think seth defines what complete commitment etc. to a person is differently than i do-and both of our definitions are correct.

He seems to see the commitment expressed in the quote as an 'all ends justify the means' way of approaching the subject or cause one is commited to.

I see it as expressing the idea that a person will do whatever is beneficial for the subect or cause one is commited to.

The difference was outlined in his example of a serial killer daughter.

He felt he could not be 100% commited in such a case because he would turn her in to the police-thus breaking the ideal of all ends (agreeing with her no matter what) justify the means (keeping her from justice and allowing others to be killed).

For myself, using the same example, i feel i could remain 100% commited to such a child BY turning them in to the police-because i would be keeping in line with my definition of being committed to doing whatever was best and good for my child.

Therefore, argueing over who's idea of true commitment is more accurate is silly.

:P

I think seth defines what complete commitment etc. to a person is differently than i do-and both of our definitions are correct.

He seems to see the commitment expressed in the quote as an 'all ends justify the means' way of approaching the subject or cause one is commited to.

I see it as expressing the idea that a person will do whatever is beneficial for the subect or cause one is commited to.

The difference was outlined in his example of a serial killer daughter.

He felt he could not be 100% commited in such a case because he would turn her in to the police-thus breaking the ideal of all ends (agreeing with her no matter what) justify the means (keeping her from justice and allowing others to be killed).

For myself, using the same example, i feel i could remain 100% commited to such a child BY turning them in to the police-because i would be keeping in line with my definition of being committed to doing whatever was best and good for my child.

Therefore, argueing over who's idea of true commitment is more accurate is silly.

:P

kosher

Archived