"Nother Article On Mormonism

selek1

http://townhall.com/columnists/stephensmoot/2012/04/15/the_truth_about_mormonism

I found the article to be remarkably balanced- despite the tip of the hat to Matt Slick and CARM...

The comments, of course, are the usual gamut of the sensible, the ignorant, and the lunatic fringe.

I think some of the writing could have been tightened up a bit:

O’Neill explains (which is necessary, because Stone does not) that the baptisms are not conversions and that recipients are not considered members of the Church. “The practice is based on a biblical understanding that baptism is a rite essential for salvation, together with the Church’s belief in the inviolate ability of a person to choose for themselves whether or not to accept and ratify, in the hereafter, the baptism performed on their behalf.” Stone did quote a Church spokesman as saying that the practice did not have official sanction.
The final sentence should have been clearer, as it suggests (to the cursory reader) that baptism for the dead is unsanctioned, rather than the proxy baptism of specific groups.

I also found the following to be extraordinarily salient:

One of the largest misconceptions is that Mormons are a single unit of voters that will automatically line up behind one of their own. Media types generally, and falsely, assume that groupthink predominates (or should predominate) over individual choices. Traditional teachings of Mormonism frown upon unthinking acceptance of a political leader. One verse from the Mormon Book of Mosiah states, “Now I say unto you, that because all men are not just it is not expedient that ye should have a king or kings to rule over you”

Given the tone and tactic of most of the recent media coverage, I found this article to be remarkably well-balanced.

What say you?

Not a bad article. But get ready for the good, the bad, and the unrecognizable between now and November. The closer we get to that date, the more we won't recognize our own religion in what will be thrown out there.

As an aside, it would be fascinating to track U.S. baptismal rates per missionary in the coming seven months vs. a "normal" year.

Archived