Hiram Page's Peep Stone Revelations

consiglieri

In 1830, Hiram Page purported to receive revelations through a "peep stone," emulating Joseph Smith's use of a "seer stone."

(I think the difference between a "peep stone" and a "seer stone" depends upon the truth of the revelations received.)

But what did these "revelations" of Hiram Page contain?

I have never run across anything divulging their contents.

It may be that D&C 28 offers a clue; that at least one thing contained in Hiram Page's revelations was the location of the city of Zion.

In the context of D&C 28, where the Lord is upbraiding Oliver Cowdery and commanding him to take Hiram Page aside and advise him that his revelations are not of God, we have the following:

D&C 28:9: "And now, behold, I say unto you that it is not revealed, and no man knoweth where the city Zion shall be built, but it shall be given hereafter."

My question is why should this language be in section 28 unless one of the items spoken of in the Hiram Page revelations was the location of the city of Zion, at what presumably would be an incorrect (and likely local) place?

Any thoughts?

All the Best!

--Consiglieri

In 1830, Hiram Page purported to receive revelations through a "peep stone," emulating Joseph Smith's use of a "seer stone."

(I think the difference between a "peep stone" and a "seer stone" depends upon the truth of the revelations received.)

But what did these "revelations" of Hiram Page contain?

I have never run across anything divulging their contents.

It may be that D&C 28 offers a clue; that at least one thing contained in Hiram Page's revelations was the location of the city of Zion.

In the context of D&C 28, where the Lord is upbraiding Oliver Cowdery and commanding him to take Hiram Page aside and advise him that his revelations are not of God, we have the following:

D&C 28:9: "And now, behold, I say unto you that it is not revealed, and no man knoweth where the city Zion shall be built, but it shall be given hereafter."

My question is why should this language be in section 28 unless one of the items spoken of in the Hiram Page revelations was the location of the city of Zion, at what presumably would be an incorrect (and likely local) place?

Any thoughts?

All the Best!

--Consiglieri

There is a small possibility that that may be true, but the evidence is not overwhelming. Most of the revelation is in fact directed at Oliver Cowdery, and how he should ensure that he does overstep his bounds, rather than relating specifically to the Hyrum Page affair.

I believe this is possibly from an early draft of church history ( I'll try to substantiate it for you):

"To our great grief however we found that Satan had been, lying in wait to deceive, and seeking whom he might devour. Brother Hiram Page had got in his possession a certain stone <by> which he obtained certain revelations concerning the upbuilding of Zion the order of the Church and so forth, but which were entirely at variance with the order of Gods House, as it is laid down {both in ancient and our modern} in the scriptures. and our own late revelations."

Not too disimilar from what is written as the heading for D&C 28

"EARLY SPECULATION AS TO SITE OF NEW JERUSALEM. When it was made known that the New Jerusalem was to be built in America, the saints began to wonder where the city would be. Hiram Page, one of the witnesses of the Book of Mormon, secured a

I belienve this is possibly from an early draft of church history ( I'll try to substantiate it for you):

"To our great grief however we found that Satan had been, lying in wait to deceive, and seeking whom he might devour. Brother Hiram Page had got in his possession a certain stone <by> which he obtained certain revelations concerning the upbuilding of Zion the order of the Church and so forth, but which were entirely at variance with the order of Gods House, as it is laid down {both in ancient and our modern} in the scriptures. and our own late revelations."

Not too disimilar from what is written as the heading for D&C 28

"EARLY SPECULATION AS TO SITE OF NEW JERUSALEM. When it was made known that the New Jerusalem was to be built in America, the saints began to wonder where the city would be. Hiram Page, one of the witnesses of the Book of Mormon, secured a

Thanks for the cites, Pale Rider!

Because your reference to an early draft of Church history is not pellucid on the subject, I wonder how it is that Joseph Fielding Smith came up with something so specific: "Among the things he attempted to make known was where this city was to be built."

I also like your speculation as to why it was Oliver was directed to correct the problem with Hiram . . .

. . . right before Oliver was ordered to go on a 1,300 mile hike to meet with the Indians on the American frontier.

All the Best!

--Consiglieri

You're welcome Consiglieri,

It wouldn't be unreasonable to imagine Joseph Fielding Smith being privy to the information as family history that was simply passed down to him. Again, speculation on my part.

Archived