Book Of Mormon Word: "Jews"

O-Brother

Is the word "Jews" in the Book Of Mormon a literal translation from ancient records?

I believe it is. At least most of the time.

Nephi made it clear that he knew the difference between "Jew" as a political name and "Jew" as a tribal name. Both are correct in the appropriate contexts.

Others of the Book of Mormon prophets made similar distinctions.

There may have been place where Joseph was unable to find an English word to convey the precise concept of a Nephite word and had to settle for "Jew", but even there, I believe there would have been no significant loss in understanding.

One wonders why this is such an interesting (to you) question.

Lehi

Is the word "Jews" in the Book Of Mormon a literal translation from ancient records?

In many places, I think it's in reference to nationality (of the kingdom of Judah). Not to tribal identity (of just the tribe of Judah).

Yes, for the people of Judah.

My question is about the word "Jew" or "Jews" Did Joseph simply use the English equivalent from the language he was translating from? I was just wondering whether he may have had the option to call those people Judeans instead of Jews. The word Jew didn't come up until ~1775. The 1611 edition of the KJ Bible does not contain the word "Jew" so I was just curious. No big deal.

My question is about the word "Jew" or "Jews" Did Joseph simply use the English equivalent from the language he was translating from? I was just wondering whether he may have had the option to call those people Judeans instead of Jews. The word Jew didn't come up until ~1775. The 1611 edition of the KJ Bible does not contain the word "Jew" so I was just curious. No big deal.

I don't know where you heard that, as it simply is not true.

Here is Matthew 2:2 from the 1611 edition. Note the phrase king of the Jewes.

My link

Also, do read the Merchant of Venice.

Archived