Seriously No Politics ×

Length of the Lost Scroll of Horos

William Schryver

Sounds to me like someone being arbitrarily dismissive. I'll leave it to our readers to make their own judgment.

Readers who want to make their own judgment would do well to click on that last link you provided and read my statements in context. They will find that what I have written is not "arbitrary". Rather, it is based on a correlation of eyewitnesses' statements against each other and against the physical evidence, as well as on careful considerations on the nature of memory. Nothing that I have said is out of keeping with normal historical methods.

Furthermore, you seek to cultivate an image here of one who is always taking the "high ground," and yet you do not hesitate at all in your willing derision of Professor Gee, myself, and others

Willing derision, hmm? That's interesting. I believe that your and Dr. Gee's conclusions are severely afflicted by confirmation bias, (as you must feel about me), but I don't believe I've gone around willingly deriding you. If and when I do, I'll thank you to point it out so that I can correct my attitude. It is easy to get overly heated in debates where disagreement is strong and often personal, but I have done my best to avoid seeing disagreement with myself as cause for "derision", your accusation notwithstanding.

yet you routinely stand silent when someone like myself is subjected to far worse treatment at the hands of your "good friends" elsewhere in cyberspace.

I have more than once called my "good friends" on the carpet both publicly and privately for behavior that I feel is unbecoming. But as I find that it is almost never taken to heart, I have given up trying. Ultimately, others' behavior is not my responsibility. I can only take responsibility for my own actions. Incidentally, you are hardly innocent of provocation. Like Dr. Peterson, you seem to enjoy the grit of personal combat. Farbeit from me to rob you of that.

In short, you are fooling no one. You have now developed the reputation among the upper-echelons of LDS apologetics as one who will shake your hand kindly, smile to your face, speak soft words in your presence, and then characterize you as a blathering, bumbling fool when out of your presence.

I wonder where folks in the "upper-echelons of LDS apologetics" got that idea.

Best,

-Chris

CS:

I believe that your and Dr. Gee's conclusions are severely afflicted by confirmation bias, (as you must feel about me), but I don't believe I've gone around willingly deriding you.

"Confirmation bias" is, without a doubt, a problem everyone must deal with. I am sometimes inclined to wonder who suffers most from its effects: the apologist or the critic. Of course, that is a question that defies a simple -- and convincing -- answer. But I am confident that I have observed it frequently at work among anti-Mormon critics.

... I don't believe I've gone around willingly deriding you. If and when I do, I'll thank you to point it out so that I can correct my attitude. It is easy to get overly heated in debates where disagreement is strong and often personal, but I have done my best to avoid seeing disagreement with myself as cause for "derision", your accusation notwithstanding.

No doubt it's one of those "eye of the beholder" kinds of things. :P

I wonder where folks in the "upper-echelons of LDS apologetics" got that idea.

Mostly from observing, in silence and from a distance, your comments in online forums.

What you do is not hidden nor unknown to those referenced thereby. They read Sun Tzu, too. ;)

According to Nemesis, the board has a bug which is causing my problem. http://www.mormonapologetics.org/index.php...mp;p=1208656962

Incidentally, I think your post would be better suited to the thread in the Pundits forum. Why don't you PM Nemesis and request Pundit status? I would say you seem to qualify for that high and exalted station in life. :P

Why thank you Will, that's the nicest thing anyone here has ever said to me. ;)

Chris keeps telling me how irenic and magnanimous you are; I guess I should start believing him.

Actually, I've always believed that no man may take the pundit honor unto himself, but rather that a man must be called of moderators, by punditry, and by the laying on of permissions by those who are in authority, to preach the rules and administer in the ordinances thereof.

According to Nemesis, the board has a bug which is causing my problem. http://www.mormonapologetics.org/index.php...mp;p=1208656962

Why thank you Will, that's the nicest thing anyone here has ever said to me. :P

Chris keeps telling me how irenic and magnanimous you are; I guess I should start believing him.

Actually, I've always believed that no man may take the pundit honor unto himself, but rather that a man must be called of moderators, by punditry, and by the laying on of permissions by those who are in authority, to preach the rules and administer in the ordinances thereof.

Heck with the board bug. Just make a photobucket account and upload the images there. Why encumber the MADB board hard drives when there is empty cyberspace elsewhere? That's what I say.

As for being called of moderators, etc., heck with that, too. Those kinds of rules don't apply in this kingdom. You must presume to ask, and your request will, or might, or won't be granted.

Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:

For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and upon him with even modest grasp of the mother tongue, who in meekness sucketh up to the moderators, shall the unction of punditry be applied.

Archived