David Bokovoy Posted March 23, 2009 Posted March 23, 2009 In my mind, one of the strongest pieces of evidence in support of the authenticity of the Book of Mormon is the story of Lehi's interaction with the divine beings in 1 Nephi 1. In addition, by juxtaposing Isaiah's encounter with the council in Isaiah 6 with Lehi's vision in the BofM, as Latter-day Saints, it would appear that we can interpret the Lord of Host seated upon the throne as a reference to God the Father and the seraph who cleanses Isaiah as Jesus Christ (this in spite or in addition to the suggestion offered in the LDS footnotes). For those interested, this is the topic of the latest audio discussion on my website. It's going to be about a six part series. Call it a linger longer Sunday discussion. best,-DB
e=mc2 Posted March 23, 2009 Posted March 23, 2009 In my mind, one of the strongest pieces of evidence in support of the authenticity of the Book of Mormon is the story of Lehi's interaction with the divine beings in 1 Nephi 1. In addition, by juxtaposing Isaiah's encounter with the council in Isaiah 6 with Lehi's vision in the BofM, as Latter-day Saints, it would appear that we can interpret the Lord of Host seated upon the throne as a reference to God the Father and the seraph who cleanses Isaiah as Jesus Christ (this in spite or in addition to the suggestion offered in the LDS footnotes). For those interested, this is the topic of the latest audio discussion on my website. It's going to be about a six part series. Call it a linger longer Sunday discussion. best,-DBHeh...... great minds think alike. I shall come and listen........
Sargon Posted March 23, 2009 Posted March 23, 2009 In my mind, one of the strongest pieces of evidence in support of the authenticity of the Book of Mormon is the story of Lehi's interaction with the divine beings in 1 Nephi 1. In addition, by juxtaposing Isaiah's encounter with the council in Isaiah 6 with Lehi's vision in the BofM, as Latter-day Saints, it would appear that we can interpret the Lord of Host seated upon the throne as a reference to God the Father and the seraph who cleanses Isaiah as Jesus Christ (this in spite or in addition to the suggestion offered in the LDS footnotes). For those interested, this is the topic of the latest audio discussion on my website. It's going to be about a six part series. Call it a linger longer Sunday discussion. best,-DBI look forward to listening!I've always been interested in the way that Lehi is described as being very tired after his vision. This reaction is similar to how Joseph described his reactions to various visions that he had. Are there any examples in ANE literature similar to this?
Confidential Informant Posted March 23, 2009 Posted March 23, 2009 David:I love your stuff, but I can't help but wonder how your unabashed support for the Book of Mormon plays w/ your scholarly collegues? Do they discredit your work in anyway? Make snide remarks? How are you treated in your professional circles?C.I.
Sargon Posted March 23, 2009 Posted March 23, 2009 David, do you ever have opportunity to discuss this stuff with your institute students? Do they show any interest?
David Bokovoy Posted March 23, 2009 Author Posted March 23, 2009 David, do you ever have opportunity to discuss this stuff with your institute students? Do they show any interest?Are you kidding me?! They can't help but feel interested. I'm pretty reserved in the audio discussions. In person, I'm bouncing off the walls when discussing the divine council. Imagine, if you will, the Backyard Professor on speed!
David Bokovoy Posted March 23, 2009 Author Posted March 23, 2009 Hello CI,David:I love your stuff, but I can't help but wonder how your unabashed support for the Book of Mormon plays w/ your scholarly collegues? Do they discredit your work in anyway? Make snide remarks? How are you treated in your professional circles?C.I.As long as I'm focusing on interpreting the BofM through the lenses of the Hebrew Bible and the Ancient Near Eastern without addressing the issue of ancient authenticity, my observations are never met with any objection in academic circles. Once, however, we take these links and use them to argue that the BofM is an authentic translation of an ancient source, the argument is clearly met with a healthy degree of skepticism.
e=mc2 Posted March 23, 2009 Posted March 23, 2009 Are you kidding me?! They can't help but feel interested. I'm pretty reserved in the audio discussions. In person, I'm bouncing off the walls when discussing the divine council. Imagine, if you will, the Backyard Professor on speed!***************************OH MY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!********************************************
Bill Hamblin Posted March 23, 2009 Posted March 23, 2009 Are you kidding me?! They can't help but feel interested. I'm pretty reserved in the audio discussions. In person, I'm bouncing off the walls when discussing the divine council. Imagine, if you will, the Backyard Professor on speed!As far as I can tell from his videos, he is on speed.
e=mc2 Posted March 23, 2009 Posted March 23, 2009 As far as I can tell from his videos, he is on speed.It's because of my new haircut isn't it? I KNEW IT! I told my dad (a retired barber) to stay calm, but NO! Or........ is it the new glasses? No, no, that won't work, they don't add to my eye color....... Um, is it because ......oh heck, there is simply no way to combat this.........
urroner Posted March 24, 2009 Posted March 24, 2009 When I first started looking on the internet for academic stuff defending the Church, I basically found Lord "My hair is flowing and my mouth is overflowing" Kerry's site and I thought I was in seventh heaven. The stuff I find now just blows me away even more.People, life is good.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.