References To The Book Of Lehi In The Book Of Mormon

Jerubaal

Tonight, while reading the Book of Jacob, I noticed these two passages, which refer back to a revelation received by Lehi, something to the extent that his descendents should only practice monogamy:

2:34

And now behold, my brethren, ye know that these commandments were given to our father, Lehi; wherefore, ye have known them before; and ye have come unto great condemnation; for ye have done these things which ye ought not to have done.

3:5

Behold, the Lamanites your brethren, whom ye hate because of their filthiness and the cursing which hath come upon their skins, are more righteous than you; for they have not forgotten the commandment of the Lord, which was given unto our fatherâ??that they should have save it were one wife, and concubines they should have none, and there should not be whoredoms committed among them.

I was wondering what you folks made of these references to a revelation received by Lehi.

And, and before someone else says it and the thread gets derailed on the matter, <insert rhetorical question about how an unlearned farmboy like Joseph Smith couldn't possibly have written such a consistent, self-referencing narrative, or something like that> (Not that I necessarily disagree with such a statement, but I've seen too many threads derailed over it).

Are you asking about polygamy or whether this could be considered evidence that the book of Lehi really existed in the Golden Plates?

These scriptures don't really reference a book, per se, but it would make sense that Lehi would have kept record just like Nephi did.

I don't know that we can necessarily infer that the things referenced were in the Book of Lehi that was lost. They might have been. But, remember that the Book of Lehi was part of Mormon's abridgement, so there were likely things that Lehi wrote and said that weren't included in the Book of Lehi. In fact, there were probably many such things that weren't included in the abridgement.

A book with an online response to LDS views on Jacob 2:30 is online at the Restorationbookstore. Joseph Smith Fought Polygamy by Richard and Pamela Price represents an alternative to LDS polemic views on Jacob 2. http://www.restorationbookstore.org

The revelation could have been in the Book of Lehi, but it could also be unrecorded, or recorded in another book. Knowledge of such a revelation could be passed on down through oral tradition also. I think it would likely be found in the Book of Lehi though. Though the Book of Mormon could just be 19th century fiction, and a real Lehi never existed to give such a revelation. The book would then be Joseph Smith commenting on a social issue of his day polygamy using the story of an ancient anti-polygamy revelation.

Joseph Smith wasn't unlearned as some have represented him as being. If he was inspired by God in producing the Book of Mormon he was still quite intelligent. If he wrote the book as fiction pretending to be inspired he was greatly gifted in his literary abilities.

Tonight, while reading the Book of Jacob, I noticed these two passages, which refer back to a revelation received by Lehi, something to the extent that his descendents should only practice monogamy:

2:34

3:5

I was wondering what you folks made of these references to a revelation received by Lehi.

And, and before someone else says it and the thread gets derailed on the matter, <insert rhetorical question about how an unlearned farmboy like Joseph Smith couldn't possibly have written such a consistent, self-referencing narrative, or something like that> (Not that I necessarily disagree with such a statement, but I've seen too many threads derailed over it).

:P<_< Sorry Jeru, Im a fundamentalist. If Lehi told his people to go from a polygamist culture to a monogamist one, then he must be a fallen prophet :unsure::ph34r:

:angry:

Archived