Mosiah, Moshiah, Hebrew And The Bom

Olavarria

One of the constantly recurring themes in the Book of Mosiah is deliverance. Salvation thru the then coming Messiah, Deliverance from bondage by God. But what is a Mosiah? Is it a hebrew word? If so what does it mean? I must give credit to DCP for pointing this out long ago.

Word of the Month

Savior מושיע (moshiah)

Many who are embracing the Hebrew language of the Bible will often use the Hebrew words for key Biblical words instead of the English. Some examples are, shalom, ruach hakodesh, kehilat, torah, and many more. While I believe this to be a great idea I often see some errors in how the Hebrew is applied.

Isaiah 43:11 (RSV) I, I am the LORD, and besides me there is no savior.

A common mistake is made with the "savior". If you look this word up in a concordance you will find that this word is #3467 in Strong's Dictionary and is identified as the Hebrew word ישע (yasha). Because of this many believe the Hebrew word yasha means "savior" and this is not true. The word ישע (yasha) is a simple verb meaning "to deliver." When the letters י, ו and מ are added to the verb a more complex verb is formed and more specifically a hiphil participle verb. A hiphil verb is causative and would mean "cause to deliver." A participle is a verb of present or continuous action meaning "delivering." A hiphil participle verb combines both of these meaning "causing to deliver".

In Biblical Hebrew there is a fine line between verbs and nouns and both can be used to describe an action or a person, place or thing. The word moshiah can be used in the sense of an action as in Deuteronomy 28:29 where it is translated as "save" but literally means "causing to be delivered." The same word can be used as a noun as in Isaiah 43:11 where it is translated as "savior" but literally means "one who is causing to be delivered."

The word moshiah (as a noun) is generally translated two different ways as shown below.

Judges 3:15 (RSV) But when the people of Israel cried to the LORD, the LORD raised up for them a deliverer, Ehud, the son of GeraAs the words savior and deliverer are the same Hebrew word there appears to be a contradiction between these two verses. If God is the only savior how can there be another savior such as Ehud? A good understanding of what the word moshiah means is critical in proper interpretation of the Hebrew Bible. As the verb moshiah is a hiphil verb meaning "to cause to be delivered" we can see that God is one who "causes to be delivered" and this can be done by the hand of God himself or by sending another to be the agent of the deliverance. Israel's deliverance is caused by God, the one and only moshiah, who sent Ehud.

One other point to make concerning the word moshiah. Remember that this verb/noun is written in the participle form. God is not one who has delivered (past tense) and he is not the one who will deliver (future tense) he is the one who "IS DELIVERING" (present tense).

http://www.ancient-hebrew.org/emagazine/020.html

Moshiah in the Book of Mormon

Omni 1: 12, 14-20, 23

12 Behold, I am Amaleki, the son of Abinadom. Behold, I will speak unto you somewhat concerning Mosiah, who was made king over the land of Zarahemla; for behold, he being warned of the Lord that he should flee out of the land of Nephi, and as many as would hearken unto the voice of the Lord should also depart out of the land with him, into the wildernessâ??

Further reading will show that the land of Nephi was eventually overrun by lamanites.

The Book of Mosiah

1) King Benjamin prophesies of Jesus Christ

2)The delverance of the people of Limhi

3)The miraculous deliverance of the Alma'sChurch of God, the people of Helam from the bondage of Amulon and his lamanites.

4)Alma the Younger's experience with the angel. He is told Moshiah27:16) "Now I say unto thee: Go, and remember the captivity of thy fathers in the land of Helam, and in the land of Nephi; and remember how great things he has done for them; for they were in bondage, and he has delivered them. "

Alma Jr's experience is further described in the giganto-chiasm of Alma 36 as a deliverance from bondage, refering to the deliverance of his fathers people, as recorded in Book of Moshiah.

The Book of Moshiah

The Book of "One who is Delivering"

One of the constantly recurring themes in the Book of Mosiah is deliverance. Salvation thru the then coming Messiah, Deliverance from bondage by God. But what is a Mosiah? Is it a hebrew word? If so what does it mean? I must give credit to DCP for pointing this out long ago.

Word of the Month

Savior מושיע (moshiah)

Many who are embracing the Hebrew language of the Bible will often use the Hebrew words for key Biblical words instead of the English. Some examples are, shalom, ruach hakodesh, kehilat, torah, and many more. While I believe this to be a great idea I often see some errors in how the Hebrew is applied.

A common mistake is made with the "savior". If you look this word up in a concordance you will find that this word is #3467 in Strong's Dictionary and is identified as the Hebrew word ישע (yasha). Because of this many believe the Hebrew word yasha means "savior" and this is not true. The word ישע (yasha) is a simple verb meaning "to deliver." When the letters י, ו and מ are added to the verb a more complex verb is formed and more specifically a hiphil participle verb. A hiphil verb is causative and would mean "cause to deliver." A participle is a verb of present or continuous action meaning "delivering." A hiphil participle verb combines both of these meaning "causing to deliver".

In Biblical Hebrew there is a fine line between verbs and nouns and both can be used to describe an action or a person, place or thing. The word moshiah can be used in the sense of an action as in Deuteronomy 28:29 where it is translated as "save" but literally means "causing to be delivered." The same word can be used as a noun as in Isaiah 43:11 where it is translated as "savior" but literally means "one who is causing to be delivered."

The word moshiah (as a noun) is generally translated two different ways as shown below.

Judges 3:15 (RSV) But when the people of Israel cried to the LORD, the LORD raised up for them a deliverer, Ehud, the son of GeraAs the words savior and deliverer are the same Hebrew word there appears to be a contradiction between these two verses. If God is the only savior how can there be another savior such as Ehud? A good understanding of what the word moshiah means is critical in proper interpretation of the Hebrew Bible. As the verb moshiah is a hiphil verb meaning "to cause to be delivered" we can see that God is one who "causes to be delivered" and this can be done by the hand of God himself or by sending another to be the agent of the deliverance. Israel's deliverance is caused by God, the one and only moshiah, who sent Ehud.

One other point to make concerning the word moshiah. Remember that this verb/noun is written in the participle form. God is not one who has delivered (past tense) and he is not the one who will deliver (future tense) he is the one who "IS DELIVERING" (present tense).

http://www.ancient-hebrew.org/emagazine/020.html

Moshiah in the Book of Mormon

Omni 1: 12, 14-20, 23

12 Behold, I am Amaleki, the son of Abinadom. Behold, I will speak unto you somewhat concerning Mosiah, who was made king over the land of Zarahemla; for behold, he being warned of the Lord that he should flee out of the land of Nephi, and as many as would hearken unto the voice of the Lord should also depart out of the land with him, into the wildernessâ??

Further reading will show that the land of Nephi was eventually overrun by lamanites.

The Book of Mosiah

1) King Benjamin prophesies of Jesus Christ

2)The delverance of the people of Limhi

3)The miraculous deliverance of the Alma'sChurch of God, the people of Helam from the bondage of Amulon and his lamanites.

4)Alma the Younger's experience with the angel. He is told Moshiah27:16) "Now I say unto thee: Go, and remember the captivity of thy fathers in the land of Helam, and in the land of Nephi; and remember how great things he has done for them; for they were in bondage, and he has delivered them. "

Alma Jr's experience is further described in the giganto-chiasm of Alma 36 as a deliverance from bondage, refering to the deliverance of his fathers people, as recorded in Book of Moshiah.

The Book of Moshiah

The Book of "One who is Delivering"

I can easily refute this theory in several ways. [tic]

1- Joseph Smith was an idiot savant, like rainman.

2- JS learned of the word Mosiah, and its meaning, from Professor Sexais, because he might have known the professor his entire life, and then had him appear on the scene in Nauvoo, so as not to expose the secret early.

3- The name Mosiah is actually part of the lost 116 pages of Solomon Spaulding's work, which contains all the BoM parallels.

4- Sidney Rigdon learned about the meaning of "Mosiah" from Alexander Campbell, who had opportunity as a preacher to talk with many Jews, thus becoming familiar with their language. He then told Rigdon, who in turn, told Joseph.

5- Joseph Sr. had some dreams about a salamander named Mosiah who was also a mailman and newspaper delivery boy.

6- Joseph Smith was actually fluent in Hebrew, and took the name from the Hebrew Bible he hid under the table in his lap during the translation of the plates; which were actually a hollowed out box of tin containing the Spaulding manuscript, the Dogberry papers, and the Golden Pot.

So much for the "Mosiah" theory!

:P

Archived