Jos. Smith On The Gift Of Tongues

Joseph Antley

"Tongues were given for the purpose of preaching among those whose language is not understood; as on the day of Pentecost, etc., and it is not necessary for tongues to be taught to the Church particularly, for any man that has the Holy Ghost can speak the things of God in his own tongue as well as another; for faith comes not by signs, but by hearing the word of God" (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, 148-49).

Does anyone know the actual source for this quote and when the Prophet said/wrote it? I know in the early days of the Church, especially in Kirtland, speaking in "tongues" and giving "interpretations" were fairly common, weren't they? I remember reading accounts of people after being baptized coming out of water speaking in tongues.

However I'm not familiar with any instances when the Prophet spoke in tongues. Do you know of any?

However I'm not familiar with any instances when the Prophet spoke in tongues. Do you know of any?

If I remember right Truman G. in one of the tape sets mentioned a time when Joseph Smith was talking to some Indians with the help of a government translator. JS realized the guy wasn't translating correctly, so he spoke to them in their own language.

Archived