Seriously No Politics ×

Polygamy

The Humanist

Just how is the man in the polygamous marriage perfecting himself, losing the "natural man?"  How was he becoming more Christ like and humble?

How is the man in a monogamous marriage perfecting himself and becoming more like Christ?

This practice caused men to degrade women, neglect the fathering of children, place women even farther below them, desire wife after wife in some cases, take more wives than they could care for, obsess about building their kingdoms,  and in some cases neglect the women to the point of starvation.

I disagree. This practice did not CAUSE those men to act like that, no more than marriage causes a man to beat his wife.

If our Prophets and apostles couldn't do it right, then who can?

Should God give us only commandments we can actually manage to do? He gave the United Order too, and the members failed at this one too. Does that mean that God shouldn't have given those commandments, or that He is responsible for the failures, or that the principles are evil to start with? No.

If you read the teachings of the apostles and Prophets of polygamy, humble is that last word that comes to mind.

HOw can anybody excuse the bragging and degrading comments made by our leaders, the men called of GOd to speak in his name?

Did I say I excused them?

Please don't say the man had to put up with all those women.  I think it's a terrible comparison to make when I hear it.  THe men were hardly even around to hear complaining.

I can say it, but not in that sense. Have you ever asked a caring man what he thinks of polygamy? I have, and the answer is revealing. Take my husband for example: he is horrified at the idea of ever having to take a second wife. Why? Because it's hard enough making just one happy. He just can't imagine having to make another woman happy, it would be too much for him. He's not worried about himself, he's worried about his wives: he knows that having two of them would mean they wouldn't be happy, and not making his wives happy would be worse than death for him. Did you ever consider this side of polygamy?

Del

Del March  writes,

Then I suppose you also think monogamous marriage is a man-made institution, and definitely not a God-given principle? 

A monogamous marriage is a principle of God. From the beginning God joined a man and a wife. The Bible does not reveal that God joins a man and many wives.

The unity of a man and a wife developed under the Old Law that is why polgomy is found in the Old Testament. In the New Testament it is always a man and a wife.

Polygamy is contrary to the equal personal dignity of men and women who in matrimony give themselves with a love that is total and therefore unique and exclusive.

Polygamy is contrary to conjugal love which is undivided and exclusive. Conjugal love involves a totality, in which all the elements of the person enter - appeal of the body and instinct, power of feeling and affectivity, aspiration of the spirit and of will. It aims at a deeply personal unity, a unity that, beyond union in one flesh, leads to forming one heart and soul; it demands indissolubility and faithfulness in definitive mutual giving.

- For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.(Eph 5:31)

As I said earlier, my understanding is that polygamy is not about one man marrying several women, it's about one man marrying one woman several times. Each time, that one man and that one woman become one flesh.

But anyway, I don't have any problem with monogamy, as I believe it is the general rule given by God. Polygamy should only be when God commands it.

Del

Del March  writes,

As I said earlier, my understanding is that polygamy is not about one man marrying several women, it's about one man marrying one woman several times. Each time, that one man and that one woman become one flesh.

Do you have any scripture support for "it's about one man marrying one woman several times"?

In eternity when all of his wives and he are together would you consider this "one flesh" .... would this relationship be a polgamous or monogamous relationship if he is with of all his wives?

Polygamy should only be when God commands it.

Polygamy was not "commanded" in the Old Testament.

Do you have any scripture support for "it's about one man marrying one woman several times"?

What is polygamy, if not one man performing several marriages with one different woman each time? Thus it's not one man marrying several women at the same time, as a group, it's several women marrying separately the same man. Each time, the marriage is between one man and one woman.

In eternity when all of his wives and he are together would you consider this "one flesh" .... would this relationship be a polgamous or monogamous relationship if he is with of all his wives?

We don't know anything about eternal marital relationships. Conjecturing about them is pointless.

Del

Del March writes  

Thus it's not one man marrying several women at the same time, as a group, it's several women marrying separately the same man.

It sounds like a group ...

Do you believe that "many shall be one flesh" describes the same unity as "two shall be one flesh (Eph 5:31)"

Archived