Seriously No Politics ×

Nevada temple problem

Amending my previous comment slightly about the Las Vegas Temple only using half of its rooms.  Speaking with my dad last night (he's a temple worker), and not only are only half the rooms used because of lack of demand, but a lot of sessions are also done solely by temple workers, because there are no other members there.

Just in case anyone wanted to spend as much time utilizing the already existing temple, as advocating for a new one.

2 minutes ago, Doctor Steuss said:

Amending my previous comment slightly about the Las Vegas Temple only using half of its rooms.  Speaking with my dad last night (he's a temple worker), and not only are only half the rooms used because of lack of demand, but a lot of sessions are also done solely by temple workers, because there are no other members there.

Just in case anyone wanted to spend as much time utilizing the already existing temple, as advocating for a new one.

But the traffic is going to be CRAZY at Lone Mountain. 🤔

11 minutes ago, ZealouslyStriving said:

The traffic concerns are one of the sillier arguments against it.  If there's a nearby Applebee's though, I can understand being worried about a much longer wait time whenever the youth do baptisms for the dead.

Don't even bother going for the all-you-can-eat boneless wings.

(I'm not bitter... nope, not me.  Only got 3 servings, in a 50 minute span... but that's cool.)

6 minutes ago, blackstrap said:

How many Stakes in Las Vegas ?

In the valley, I think there are 27.  Then there's two in Mesquite (I guess that's a coin-toss on whether to go to St. George or Vegas... but I think St George is still out of commission), and one in Logandale.  Not sure if Pahrump has one.  Pahrump is in a different county (Nye), but is maybe a 1.75hr drive to the Vegas temple (takes about an hour to drive from my work by the LV airport to Pahrump).

Is it hard to be a Pit Boss and keep a recommend ? 😈

One of my favorite EQ Presidents was a club bouncer, lol.  Absolute sweetheart Tongan dude.  Made the mistake of going to the gym with him once... I've never known regret quite like that.

I've also known a few card dealers, and bartenders too.  I guess as long as you aren't partaking in the vices, it's all good.  Maybe there's a bishop or stake president who has withheld a recommend because of someone's profession, but for the most part it's just kind of "Do you obey the word of wisdom yourself... then you're groovy."

1 hour ago, ZealouslyStriving said:

This one always makes me laugh. I stopped going to the actual Lone Mountain because of existing traffic and crowds. To me at least, it started to feel like Red Rock. No one will notice the temple traffic. 

30 minutes ago, morgan.deane said:

This one always makes me laugh. I stopped going to the actual Lone Mountain because of existing traffic and crowds. To me at least, it started to feel like Red Rock. No one will notice the temple traffic. 

As part of my job, I have to create a form that's meant for VA appraisers whenever a new project is started.  A question on the form is whether the property is within 1000 feet of a heavily traveled road.  In 20 years, I've never been able to answer "no."

If anyone is curious to watch the planning commission meeting, here you go.  The part that deals with the temple starts 2:43:00.

And if you are curious to view the plan proposed for the temple, you can go to https://lasvegas.primegov.com/public/portal, search for the "Planning Commission" in the archival section (bottom half of the page), find the May 14 meeting, and download the Packet (it has 6283 pages).

4 hours ago, webbles said:

If anyone is curious to watch the planning commission meeting, here you go.  The part that deals with the temple starts 2:43:00.

And if you are curious to view the plan proposed for the temple, you can go to https://lasvegas.primegov.com/public/portal, search for the "Planning Commission" in the archival section (bottom half of the page), find the May 14 meeting, and download the Packet (it has 6283 pages).

I sat through the whole meeting. I think it's going to be a go. But who knows. 

It seems to me the Church is the author of its own "persecution" in this case.   The Church needs to work with residents of each location to see what makes sense.   I see no indication of people complaining about a temple being build but the size.  I heard in my ward that the Church has gone to a more cookie cutter approach to temple building just as they do with ward buildings.  This approach saves money.  The church can build now 4 temples for the price of 3 temples from prior times by going to these cookie cutter temples.  Don't have to pay architects as much for designing individual temples.That is sad because I think having unique temples makes them more interesting and solves a lot of these issues.  Its not like the church has a money issue.   One thing is for sure,  this will no bring an increase in converts to the church for a long time in those areas.   A temple is still a temple even if the spire goes up 30 feet.   The church needs to stop the nonsense.

Edited by carbon dioxide
15 hours ago, carbon dioxide said:

I heard in my ward that the Church has gone to a more cookie cutter approach to temple building just as they do with ward buildings.  This approach saves money.  The church can build now 4 temples for the price of 3 temples from prior times by going to these cookie cutter temples.  Don't have to pay architects as much for designing individual temples.That is sad because I think having unique temples makes them more interesting and solves a lot of these issues

Most temples are "cookie cutter design".  First time it was done was the Ogden and Provo temple.  Then there is the six spire design (including the current Las Vegas temple).  The "cookie cutter design" has changed over the years but a bunch of temple will be built with the current design. A few temples are still uniquely designed.  https://churchofjesuschristtemples.org/library/designs/ has a timeline of the various designs used.

10 hours ago, webbles said:

Most temples are "cookie cutter design".  First time it was done was the Ogden and Provo temple.  Then there is the six spire design (including the current Las Vegas temple).  The "cookie cutter design" has changed over the years but a bunch of temple will be built with the current design. A few temples are still uniquely designed.  https://churchofjesuschristtemples.org/library/designs/ has a timeline of the various designs used.

Not all temples are based off the same design but I would say a growing percentage are among the newer ones.   There may be minor changes to make them a little different. 

Edited by carbon dioxide
16 minutes ago, carbon dioxide said:

Not all temples are based off the same design but I would say a growing percentage are among the newer ones.   There may be minor changes to make them a little different. 

I think the issue is the number of temples.  Previously, when we had the 6 spire design, it only affected about 10 temples.  It lasted from 1984 till 1987 and there was 1 or 2 temples during that same time period that had a different design.  So, it didn't look so "cookie cutter" because only 10ish temples were built like that.  During the early 2000s, when the smaller temples were being built all over the place, they all had the same design.  There were about 40 of those temples. But at the same time, there were a few larger temples built that broke the mold.  I think it started to feel a little "cookie cutter" then because of the number small temples built.  But now, President Nelson has announced over 160 temples.  Even with the multiple designs that they have, it is going to feel "cookie cutter" just because the vast number of temples.

2 minutes ago, webbles said:

I think the issue is the number of temples.  Previously, when we had the 6 spire design, it only affected about 10 temples.  It lasted from 1984 till 1987 and there was 1 or 2 temples during that same time period that had a different design.  So, it didn't look so "cookie cutter" because only 10ish temples were built like that.  During the early 2000s, when the smaller temples were being built all over the place, they all had the same design.  There were about 40 of those temples. But at the same time, there were a few larger temples built that broke the mold.  I think it started to feel a little "cookie cutter" then because of the number small temples built.  But now, President Nelson has announced over 160 temples.  Even with the multiple designs that they have, it is going to feel "cookie cutter" just because the vast number of temples.

And a lot of the temples are prefabricated now offsite and brought in to be assembled.  Those seem to be made more in mass than we previously had.

On 5/17/2024 at 4:45 PM, carbon dioxide said:

It seems to me the Church is the author of its own "persecution" in this case.   The Church needs to work with residents of each location to see what makes sense.   I see no indication of people complaining about a temple being build but the size.  I heard in my ward that the Church has gone to a more cookie cutter approach to temple building just as they do with ward buildings.  This approach saves money.  The church can build now 4 temples for the price of 3 temples from prior times by going to these cookie cutter temples.  Don't have to pay architects as much for designing individual temples.That is sad because I think having unique temples makes them more interesting and solves a lot of these issues.  Its not like the church has a money issue.   One thing is for sure,  this will no bring an increase in converts to the church for a long time in those areas.   A temple is still a temple even if the spire goes up 30 feet.   The church needs to stop the nonsense.

Interesting.  That's shorter than most church steeples (including the steeples on many LDS churches that have them).  

25 minutes ago, bluebell said:

And a lot of the temples are prefabricated now offsite and brought in to be assembled.  Those seem to be made more in mass than we previously had.

The site I linked earlier ( https://churchofjesuschristtemples.org/library/designs/ ) only lists 10 temples that have been modular.  I do think many announced temples will probably use the modular design, though.

I think the modular concept is pretty cool, though.

Edited by webbles
On 4/28/2024 at 9:16 AM, california boy said:

Or do you think people just hate the Mormon Church.  If that is the case then maybe the Church should find out why. 

Just because something is popular doesn't mean it's good. Just because something is unpopular doesn't mean it's bad. I believe this is part of the persecution non members don't like to admit exists. 

4 hours ago, rodheadlee said:

Just because something is popular doesn't mean it's good. Just because something is unpopular doesn't mean it's bad. I believe this is part of the persecution non members don't like to admit exists. 

I am not sure that explains why some believe there is an intense dislike for the Church. This might explain why you feel that dislike is justified. But that is a different issue 

19 minutes ago, california boy said:

I am not sure that explains why some believe there is an intense dislike for the Church. This might explain why you feel that dislike is justified. But that is a different issue 

It doesn't need to be justified, it just is.  It goes with the territory.