Seriously No Politics ×

On 4/7/2024 at 7:00 PM, Kenngo1969 said:

President Susan H. Porter, Primary General President

• Our Heavenly Father Loves You; You are His Child; He Knows You; He Wants to Bless You

• Prayer is a special Gift that Our Heavenly Father Has Given Us

• “Ask, and Ye Shall Receive”

• Pray to Know

• “Heavenly Father, are You really there? Do you really hear and answer every Child’s prayer?”

• You can come to know for yourself that Your Heavenly Father is real, that He is there, that He is listening, and that He loves you

• Ashley: “I am not alone. I have Christ”: Her prayer was answered with someone to play with ;-D

• Best question to ask Heavenly Father is not “Why … ?” but “What … ?”

• Pour out your heart to your Heavenly Father, and then listen

• Pray to Grow

• Heavenly Father loves us so much that he sent Jesus

• Christ loves us so much that He died so that we could repent

• “Praying to Heavenly Father has helped me”

• Pray, and then move forward

• Pray to Show

• For help to show Heavenly Father’s love to others

• Heavenly Father doesn’t force anyone to make a choice

• Her patriarchal blessing told her the best thing she could do for her family, especially her non-member father, was to be an example

• After her father died, the Spirit told her that he wanted to receive the ordinances of the Gospel: She started praying for that blessing as a child, and received it as a grandmother

• “I know He is there. I know He loves you”

Her talk was very excellent! I have a small personal connection with President Porter. I've never met her, but I was a full-time missionary in Germany while her late husband was serving his full-time mission -- we were never companions, but I did have a couple of exchanges with him. He was a spiritual giant (and very tall, too) then, and later as a general authority, too. Obviously he married a spiritual giantess! 

58 minutes ago, Stargazer said:

Her talk was very excellent! I have a small personal connection with President Porter. I've never met her, but I was a full-time missionary in Germany while her late husband was serving his full-time mission -- we were never companions, but I did have a couple of exchanges with him. He was a spiritual giant (and very tall, too) then, and later as a general authority, too. Obviously he married a spiritual giantess! 

Superkuhl, meiner Bruder! ;) :D 

On 4/6/2024 at 9:35 PM, Kenngo1969 said:

I imagine so.  God tends to enlighten each of us in proportion to our ability and willingness to receive light.  See also Doctrine and Covenants 50:24:

Thank you. I don't have the feature to click on THANK YOU yet.

On 4/6/2024 at 9:29 PM, Kenngo1969 said:

I am not referring to anything.  These are notes of addresses delivered by others.  You're welcome to read the talk, Sir, when it becomes available.

Thank you.  I'll look forward to checking it.

On 4/7/2024 at 11:57 PM, InCognitus said:

It seems Paul had a similar experience:  "At midday, O king, I saw in the way a light from heaven, above the brightness of the sun, shining round about me and them which journeyed with me."  (Acts 26:13)

Thank you. 

2 hours ago, Calm said:

That was fast. :shok:  If memory serves, it used to take about a week.

6 minutes ago, Kenngo1969 said:

That was fast. :shok:  If memory serves, it used to take about a week.

It has been Tuesdays or maybe Wednesday for quite a few years iirc.  I don’t get to watch live because I am usually asleep or unable to focus so it’s something I have paid attention to.  Saturday morning and afternoon were both up by midnight last time, but just morning this time.  I remember feeling great because I finished watching conference by Monday, almost as good as if I watched it live when typically I never finished (speeding it up was a game changer for me).  Didn’t make it this time, but hopefully by Sunday. (This weird weather is making my brain think it wants to hibernate)

Edited by Calm
1 hour ago, Calm said:

It has been Tuesdays or maybe Wednesday for quite a few years iirc.  I don’t get to watch live because I am usually asleep or unable to focus so it’s something I have paid attention to.  Saturday morning and afternoon were both up by midnight last time, but just morning this time.  I remember feeling great because I finished watching conference by Monday, almost as good as if I watched it live when typically I never finished (speeding it up was a game changer for me).  Didn’t make it this time, but hopefully by Sunday. (This weird weather is making my brain think it wants to hibernate)

Good luck! :friends: 

Did anyone else notice how many times "temples" and temple covenants were discussed in this General Conference?  

I did a count of the word "Temple" Tuesday evening when the conference transcripts came online (not counting "Temple" in the talk title), and this is what I came up with:

Session Speaker Title Temple
Sat AM Jeffrey R. Holland Motions of a Hidden Fire 1
  J. Anette Dennis Put Ye On the Lord Jesus Christ 8
  Alexander Dushku Pillars and Rays  
  Ulisses Soares Covenant Confidence through Jesus Christ 27
  Jack N. Gerard Integrity: A Christlike Attribute  
  Henry B. Eyring All Will Be Well Because of Temple Covenants 29
Sat PM David A. Bednar “Be Still, and Know That I Am God” 3
  Massimo De Feo Rise! He Calleth Thee  
  Brent H. Nielson A Record of What I Have Both Seen and Heard 6
  Jose L. Alonso Jesus Christ at the Center of Our Lives  
  Gerrit W. Gong All Things for Our Good 11
  Michael T. Nelson In Support of the Rising Generation  
  Quentin L. Cook Be One with Christ 1
Sat PM2 Shayne M. Bowen Miracles, Angels, and Priesthood Power 3
  Steven R. Bangerter Foreordained to Serve  
  Andrea Muñoz Spannaus Faithful to the End  
  Matthew L. Carpenter Fruit That Remains 3
  Dieter F. Uchtdorf A Higher Joy  
Sun AM Ronald A. Rasband Words Matter 4
  Susan H. Porter Pray, He Is There 1
  Dale G. Renlund The Powerful, Virtuous Cycle of the Doctrine of Christ 1
  Paul B. Pieper Trust in the Lord  
  Patrick Kearon God’s Intent Is to Bring You Home 1
  Brian K. Taylor Swallowed Up in the Joy of Christ  
  Dallin H. Oaks Covenants and Responsibilities 17
Sun PM D. Todd Christofferson The Testimony of Jesus 2
  Taylor G. Godoy Call, Don’t Fall 5
  Gary E. Stevenson Bridging the Two Great Commandments 1
  Mathias Held Opposition in All Things  
  Neil L. Andersen Temples, Houses of the Lord Dotting the Earth 28
  Mark L. Pace It Is Wisdom in the Lord That We Should Have the Book of Mormon  
  Russell M. Nelson Rejoice in the Gift of Priesthood Keys 27
    Total Mention of the word "Temple" 179

Out of 32 talks, 20 of them talked about the temple one or more times.  And the word "temple" was mentioned 179 times in all of General Conference.

Edit:  Sorry about the formatting for those who try to view this on a smart phone, I tried to skinny it up, and it didn't work out too well.

Edited by InCognitus
21 minutes ago, InCognitus said:

Edit:  Sorry about the formatting for those who try to view this on a smart phone, I tried to skinny it up, and it didn't work out too well.

What would happen if landscape mode was enabled?

And how often was Jesus mentioned besides the prayer, I'll bet it's not nearly as much especially as Him being the Savior, without covenants or works being mentioned. Elder Uchtdorf and Patrick Kearon's conference talks were wonderful I hear, still need to listen to all of conference. My son got married, had family in town, and then my mother-in-law's funeral. 

Edited by Tacenda
1 hour ago, Tacenda said:

And how often was Jesus mentioned besides the prayer, I'll bet it's not nearly as much especially as Him being the Savior, without covenants or works being mentioned. Elder Uchtdorf and Patrick Kearon's conference talks were wonderful I hear, still need to listen to all of conference. My son got married, had family in town, and then my mother-in-law's funeral. 

Since the purpose of the temple is to make covenants with God, which includes with Christ, why the distinction?

Trying to become people who can be one with Christ eternally is not focusing on Christ in your view?

If you spent a lot of time planning a birthday party for your child as close to the way you understood your child had asked you to do it and someone criticized you for not talking about your child enough during the planning, would that make sense to you?

Edited by Calm
19 minutes ago, ZealouslyStriving said:

Ward Radio comes across to me the few times I have watched it as shock jocks and therefore, I have a hard time taking their descriptions of others seriously.  Perhaps just link to what you see as push back instead of letting others define what is push back for you?

Edited by Calm
16 minutes ago, Calm said:

Ward Radio comes across to me the few times I have watched it as shock jocks and therefore, I have a hard time taking their descriptions of others seriously.  Perhaps just link to what you see as push back instead of letting others define what is push back for you?

Sure...

https://open.spotify.com/episode/0yY4GHAWy9EB8MVvKxe1YI?go=1&sp_cid=b4c4dad43656a23fedf3d870eae7b54f&utm_source=embed_player_p&utm_medium=mobile

5 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

About to go on a walk, what in particular did you want people to address?

I was merely suggested that Elder Carpenter's talk (particularly the part about having your sealing cancelled cancels the promises associated with that covenant) would stir up controversy. It was merely an observation. I wasn't trying to make anything of it.

52 minutes ago, ZealouslyStriving said:

I was merely suggested that Elder Carpenter's talk (particularly the part about having your sealing cancelled cancels the promises associated with that covenant) would stir up controversy. It was merely an observation. I wasn't trying to make anything of it.

I think that was an easy prediction! 

If my husband leaves me and we get divorced, he can marry again in the temple eventually.  I cannot under any circumstance unless I am granted a temple unsealing by strangers who do not know me.  That  reality has put a lot of young newly single women in a very difficult category as undateable in our church.  That’s not the only challenge.  If a young single woman is sealed, her husband leaves her, and she remarries, she cannot get re sealed and the children she has with her new husband will be automatically sealed to the first husband.  That seems painful to me..  I think anyone touched by these realities would have something to say following this talk.  HE MAY BE CORRECT but there will be things people will say.  Of course.   

I know a woman who had to move heaven and earth to have her sealing broken,  by men who knew nothing of her absolute heartache in her marriage.  Women are not given many rights to those types of decisions for themselves., even though we are the ones that have ALLLLLLLL the information.   

My sister could not get her sealing cancelled even when her exhusband refused to let her get the kids baptized unless she would sign away their child support.

He had also told her as he was leaving the finalization of the divorce that she was his eternally.

He was abusive in the marriage to her and afterwards abusive to her and the kids (one was born after the divorce and the other was an infant before).

There are men who use their sealing with their ex as a weapon of abuse.

And yet no cancellation.

My sister is no longer a member.  I don’t know if the cancellation made the difference, her temple sealing did not help as fsr as I can tell to keep her in and I know definitely hurt.

Edited by Calm
2 hours ago, Calm said:

My sister could not get her sealing cancelled even when her exhusband refused to let her get the kids baptized unless she would sign away their child support.

He had also told her as he was leaving the finalization of the divorce that she was his eternally.

He was abusive in the marriage to her and afterwards abusive to her and the kids (one was born after the divorce and the other was an infant before).

There are men who use their sealing with their ex as a weapon of abuse.

And yet no cancellation.

My sister is no longer a member.  I don’t know if the cancellation made the difference, her temple sealing did not help as far as I can tell to keep her in and I know definitely hurt.

Wow, I guess it helps to not believe in that situation actually holding true, such as her being with that awful man eternally and the thought that he tried to get her to sign away child support is sickening.  

Edited by Tacenda
1 hour ago, Tacenda said:

Wow, I guess it helps to not believe in that situation actually holding true, such as her being with that awful man eternally and the thought that he tried to get her to sign away child support is sickening.  

He would have to change dramatically in order for him to qualify even for the Terrestrial Kingdom, so at that point he was just fooling himself.  It wasn’t that he had changed since his temple marriage, it was that he was lying to himself and others from the beginning about who he was (a selfish, spoiled, undisciplined, angry, prideful little boy) No one who knew of the situation assumed his covenants were somehow still valid, but that doesn’t mean it still didn’t hurt.  I wish my dad had been there as I think he might have come back with “ as if you are really getting into the Celestial Kingdom”.

I know blessings can get restored when repentance is true and deep, but if any mortal actions have eternal consequences, imo breaking the marriage covenant does and both partners have to be wholeheartedly wanting to restore it and I don’t believe every spouse who has been betrayed by a partner will want to restore the relationship as they will often have moved on and found someone different who then grows with them.  Others who have worked with the spouse or who still love at least the version of that person who they married may want that marriage back even if they have rejected the version the original marriage twisted into.

Edited by Calm

I had a neighbor who was sealed to her husband and he died.  I don't know if she chose not to pursue a cancelation or had it denied, but it was always an issue in her current marriage, especially after she had a child with her second husband.

I have a man in my extended family who died soon after he was married. After much prayer and a lot of heartache she chose to ask for a cancelation so she could be sealed to the new husband she would now spend the bulk of her life with.  This was terribly hard on the immediate family of the man who died.

I had another friend who was married to a man who didn't treat her well.  They divorced after children. Somewhere in it all she quit going to church. She married again to a man who was not a member of the church. Decades later, then in her 80s she started coming back to church. Not long after her husband died. She so wanted to be sealed to her beloved. She arranged for close friends to have his work done and asked for a sealing cancelation. Her ex, even though happily (as far as my friend could tell) married refused to let go of the sealing. It took a lot of work, but somehow while still living she managed to have it canceled and I was there to see the glow on her face when she was sealed to her deceased husband with a close friend as proxy.

There is a reason why women struggle with this issue. 

Edited by Rain