Seriously No Politics ×

Is there a covenant about wearing temple garments in the temple, if not, was there?

49 minutes ago, mfbukowski said:

So we should run around in a basketball uniform with garments on?

I don’t see why not, but my answer is no.  I also don’t see need to wear them in other scenarios that include significant heat and discomfort.  

1 minute ago, MustardSeed said:

also don’t see need to wear them in other scenarios that include significant heat and discomfort.

If wearing garments are meant to create a similar sense to the peace and refuge of the temple, significant discomfort seems counter productive 

6 hours ago, Calm said:

It was always weird to me that it was no issue to see the top of the men’s garment and so many men are casual about being able to see the garment bottoms with shorts and yet women had to hide every last glimpse of them.  Even seeing them in the underarm of a capped sleeved top was a big no, no.

But that parallels the different standards of exposure for men and women generally speaking.  Boys letting their underwear show was sloppy and lazy for my grandparents.  Girls wearing a bra on the outside was risqué, might as well be a stripper even if there was little skin exposure of the torso.

I have a friend who is married to a guy from a devout LDS family in Utah and when I stayed at her house, he would walk around in the evening with only his shorts and his garment top like a tee shirt. I always thought this was rather odd behavior. 

40 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

I don’t see why not, but my answer is no.  I also don’t see need to wear them in other scenarios that include significant heat and discomfort.  

Steve Young never wore them playing football, so if it’s good enough for him, it’s good enough for me:) 

On 4/1/2024 at 4:38 PM, MustardSeed said:

Ahh the hallowed “athletic events.” 

This is what I was replying to, you guys.

My point was that OBVIOUSLY one SHOULD NOT wear garments during sports activities for several reasons.

That is totally obvious.

It is not that of we exempt wearing garments because we are so involved in sports that we exempt them.

So my answer was total sarcasm.

I'm out of the thread.  Have fun.

1 hour ago, MustardSeed said:

And so we agree.

My reply was sarcasm.  It would be totally absurd to wear them in those situations, but not because sports are important to us.

Ok that's it for me 

1 hour ago, Peacefully said:

I have a friend who is married to a guy from a devout LDS family in Utah and when I stayed at her house, he would walk around in the evening with only his shorts and his garment top like a tee shirt. I always thought this was rather odd behavior. 

My dad would mow the lawn with his pants and garment top.  It was a closed in backyard so very private, but I don’t think it would make a difference. 

4 hours ago, Tacenda said:

Well, are young women allowed to wear sleeveless shirts playing volleyball? Being sincere, out of the loop.

Sure!

1 hour ago, Calm said:

My dad would mow the lawn with his pants and garment top.

Man, those must have been those bullet proof steel garments. I heard they were very tough, but who knew you could mow your lawn with them!

Did he attach them to a string trimmer motor?

10 minutes ago, mfbukowski said:

Man, those must have been those bullet proof steel garments. I heard they were very tough, but who knew you could mow your lawn with them!

Did he attach them to a string trimmer motor?

You and my husband would have fun together….

11 hours ago, Calm said:

Oh my gosh…living a long life has little appeal to me unless medical discoveries speed up.

:(  I  understand why you would feel that way. I expect that upon arrival of the Millennium all of us will get a health boost to 100%. That's what I'm counting on, anyway.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, mfbukowski said:

This is what I was replying to, you guys.

My point was that OBVIOUSLY one SHOULD NOT wear garments during sports activities for several reasons.

That is totally obvious.

It is not that of we exempt wearing garments because we are so involved in sports that we exempt them.

So my answer was total sarcasm.

I'm out of the thread.  Have fun.

I think everyone should be active all day, like in sports, and then not wear them. ;) Joking of course! 

Edited by Tacenda
9 hours ago, mfbukowski said:

And so we agree.

My reply was sarcasm.  It would be totally absurd to wear them in those situations, but not because sports are important to us.

Ok that's it for me 

I’m aware. 
My original comment was regarding my experience that while some people do wear their garments under their exercise clothes (I personally cannot imagine ever) , it is perfectly acceptable for people to not wear garments under their sports uniforms. However, we have been told that we have to wear garments when we work in the yard. I’ll tell you right now when I am hauling gravel and spreading it I am sweating a lot more than when I go for a run.

rather than be told the specifics of where I don’t need to wear them(“athletics” etc) - I would like to be trusted to make my own personal decisions about what I wear when I wear it.  

i have long felt that humans worship sports.  Our religion, no exception IMO. 

Edited by MustardSeed
6 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

I’m aware. 
My original comment was regarding my experience that while some people do wear their garments under their exercise clothes (I personally cannot imagine ever) , it is perfectly acceptable for people to not wear garments under their sports uniforms. However, we have been told that we have to wear garments when we work in the yard. I’ll tell you right now when I am hauling gravel and spreading it I am sweating a lot more than when I go for a run.

rather than be told the specifics of where I don’t need to wear them(“athletics” etc) - I would like to be trusted to make my own personal decisions about what I wear when I wear it.  

Here in Phoenix I sweat a lot more walking down the street in the summer time than when I'm getting a workout at the gym. 

2 hours ago, MustardSeed said:

I’m aware. 

I had a neighbor growing up that would wear her swimming suit while working in the yard, she was a devout member, haha! Maybe she was planning on going swimming right after. :)

While repairing my roof, I slipped, and the friction of sliding on my back against the shingles pulled my t-shirt up, scratching my back but then I stopped sliding just before I hit the edge. It was a miracle to me,- what stopped me just before going over?    Guess.

Right!

A half-driven nail got stuck in my garment top and stopped my slide.

Here in LA we have a large Latino population who come from sub-tropical countries.  They are experts on outdoor activity in hot weather.  I often see folks running or working wearing what seems to me to be extra-heavy clothing considering the heat.   Why would they do that?  Because when that extra layer becomes wet with perspiration or soaked in water before putting it on, it creates a built-in "swamp cooler" effect as the water evaporates.  

Try soaking and wringing out your g's before putting on your top layer of clothing on a hot day.

I cannot understand people who would robotically follow a rule that they believed came from God because "mommy told them to".

Grow up folks!  Pray and make your own decisions!   Follow the spirit, not mommy!

3 hours ago, MustardSeed said:

Not all humans, just sheep who do not think for themselves.

36 minutes ago, mfbukowski said:

Try soaking and wringing out your g's before putting on your top layer of clothing on a hot day.

And does that work in humid climates?  I am guessing not, but perhaps?  I have only lived in Illinois and Kansas for humidity (the humidity I experienced in California along the coast was nothing compared to those two states) and never tried that but I have walked around in high heat and humity while 9 months pregnant and my gs being almost soaking wet were not cooling at the time.

Women also can’t do that to keep the bottom half cool.  They need not too dry, not too wet though more dry than wet is typically better for certain parts of our anatomy.

Edited by Calm
14 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

A slower form of human sacrifice with a lot more merchandising.

When it comes with head trauma, you aren’t far wrong, imo.

Edited by Calm
6 hours ago, MustardSeed said:

I would like to be trusted to make my own personal decisions about what I wear when I wear it.  

The Handbook agrees with you.