Seriously No Politics ×

Manti Temple Open House

I believe they have preserved the original artwork.  With an open house, you usually see more of the temple than when you are there for a session.  I believe it is worth the drive.

Thursday, March 14, through Friday, April 5, 2024.
All are invited to tour the Manti Utah Temple. Admission is free. Online reservations are recommended.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/featured/manti-utah-open-house?lang=eng

Edited by sunstoned
On 3/21/2024 at 12:38 AM, Tacenda said:

I would love to go to this, as my parents were sealed there.

I would have liked to go to this open house, too, but when I broached the subject with my wife, she said "See you! Have fun!" :D 

2 hours ago, Stargazer said:

I would have liked to go to this open house, too, but when I broached the subject with my wife, she said "See you! Have fun!" :D 

Well, my three hour drive compared to your transatlantic is understandable. 😆

Edited by Tacenda

Husband is taking my niece next week since I am not up to going and her parents don’t live in the US, so we try to fill in at times (they got to be good friends when they drove around for days, cramming in the hours she needed for getting her driver’s license).  Grandkids might go with them, but they usually take off during school holidays.  I will let you know what he reports (we have talked about the murals being preserved).

Edited by Calm

I attended the open house, today.  Even though it was cold and a over two hour wait for those without reservations, it was worth it to me.  I hadn't been through that temple since 1978, when I was young.  It is extraordinarily beautiful.  I loved it and felt the almost five hour roundtrip drive and the long wait to get in was worth it.  I think what an unusual building to have been built in the late 19th century in a rural county.   Just loved it.

So appreciate you letting us know about the wait. My husband was planning next week when it is spring break and I bet it will be worse.  He is not that great at waiting, but better if prepared. 

Are you having to stand or are there places to sit?  His back isn’t that great.

Edited by Calm

Are open houses shorter now?  Seems like they should have planned for more than 3, 4? weeks given the uniqueness of Manti. 

Edited by Calm
6 hours ago, Calm said:

Are open houses shorter now?  Seems like they should have planned for more than 3, 4? weeks given the uniqueness of Manti. 

The St. George open house was Sept 15 to Nov 11.  That's almost 2 months.  The Red Cliffs Temple (the new one in St. George) was a month (Feb 1 to March 2).  I think they didn't expect a lot of people going to Manti.

2 hours ago, webbles said:

The St. George open house was Sept 15 to Nov 11.  That's almost 2 months.  The Red Cliffs Temple (the new one in St. George) was a month (Feb 1 to March 2).  I think they didn't expect a lot of people going to Manti.

I wonder if there is any chance they will extend it.  I may call.

On 3/29/2024 at 12:27 AM, Calm said:

So appreciate you letting us know about the wait. My husband was planning next week when it is spring break and I bet it will be worse.  He is not that great at waiting, but better if prepared. 

Are you having to stand or are there places to sit?  His back isn’t that great.

I just visited today. We arrived a little after 9am and had a 5 hour wait in the standby line.  If you don't have tickets, you should arrive even earlier if you want a shorter wait.  At the beginning of the line, there is no where to sit but half way through, you can sit on the planter edges.  You can also have some of your party sit in the car till you are almost at the end.

1 hour ago, webbles said:

All the people I met were volunteers and don't have any say in that decision.

Thought they might have heard gossip

It took them 4.5 hours today wait time (did not include the drive).  Must not have been tiring because he hit the UVU game afterwards (the bane of my existence….his brain goes into off mode when he thinks “game!”; this time he forgot to text he was back and not driving in the dark up from Manti)

My husband channeled me and took chairs.  People were in awe.***

He made sure it was okay.

If you don’t have camping or lawn chairs, think about bringing a blanket or cushion to sit on.

***I am shocked no one else appears to have thought of this.  And Peter and I only sat in a concert/game line once when we were dating.  I don’t usually wait in lines.  Did for the Cardston Temple Open House.  I might have waiting a bit to get into the first Star Wars opening in San Francisco.  I don’t remember that though.  Took my younger brother and sister so I doubt it.

I would suggest a local merchant make a couple of extra bucks by providing chairs by the hour except for the whole Christ driving out the money changers thing. 😛 

Edited by Calm
12 minutes ago, Calm said:

It took them 4.5 hours today wait time (did not include the drive).  Must not have been tiring because he hit the UVU game afterwards (the bane of my existence….his brain goes into off mode when he thinks “game!”; this time he forgot to text he was back and not driving in the dark up from Manti)

My husband channeled me and took chairs.  People were in awe.***

He made sure it was okay.

If you don’t have camping or lawn chairs, think about bringing a blanket or cushion to sit on.

***I am shocked no one else appears to have thought of this.  And Peter and I only sat in concert/game lines once when we were dating.

I would suggest a local merchant make a couple of extra bucks by providing chairs by the hour except for the whole Christ driving out the money changers thing. 😛 

Wow, they sure underestimated the days needed for that open house. What brought them out in droves I wonder. Possibly the luckily kept artwork?

Edited by Tacenda
8 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

Wow, they sure underestimated the days needed for that open house. What brought them out in droves I wonder. Possibly the luckily kept artwork?

Probably. 

My son’s ward went down Friday or Saturday (not everyone went, a bus load). They had tickets though. They called and were told to expect a two hour wait. He said they doddled because of it and when they arrived they got to go straight in. Not sure exactly how that worked (maybe it was two hours after their scheduled time and the wait had been overestimated so by the time they got there it wasn’t that long).  I assume the tickets had to mean something.