Seriously No Politics ×

Deseret News: "‘Make keeping covenants cool again’: Exploring the stories of ex-ex-Latter-day Saints"

‘Make keeping covenants cool again’: Exploring the stories of ex-ex-Latter-day Saints

Ashly Stone never imagined how her life was about to change when she tried heroin. “I was sick without it,” she remembers — “totally emotionally unstable.”

“Needing a substance to be able to function is a really rough way to live,” she remembers. This was a long journey from her happy upbringing as a “good kid” in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. As Ashly recounted on the “All In Podcast,” she was eventually estranged from most people in her life — with the exception of her father.

“I don’t know how he didn’t give up on me, to be honest. … But he just didn’t. He always took my calls.”

Toward the end of her 15th rehab, a text message arrived from a friend at a previous treatment center. “Ashly,” he wrote, “if you read the Book of Mormon every single day, I promise you will never go back to your old life.” 

“I couldn’t even imagine a life where I could live sober,” she recalled thinking. “That was so far from the realm of possibility.” But, she concluded, “I have nothing to lose.”

Ashly is now married and a mother of two young children. Eleven years later, she hasn’t missed a day reading the Book of Mormon, and she hasn’t touched drugs or alcohol either. 

Very cool.

Today, she runs with Lauren Rose the “Come Back Podcast,” which shares stories of people coming back to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Although it isn’t even two years old, the podcast already has 1.2 million downloads across podcast platforms, and thousands of subscribers on YouTube

Has anyone listened to this podcast?  If so, any thoughts about it?

Among the total episodes are 80 different stories of people coming back to faith, including 21 stories of people who came back to the faith after grappling with substance abuse or other addictions. There are also stories of people who once embraced critical narratives about the church or its history, and others who worked through significant health and emotional challenges.

"{Coming} back to the faith after grappling with substance abuse or other addictions" and "{People returning after having} worked through significant health and emotional challenges" are, for me, understandable narratives.  

I am a bit more intrigued by the "people who once embraced critical narratives about the church or its history" narratives.  I have many loved ones in this category.

Several years after returning, Ashly and Lauren began to notice online stories of people stepping away from their faith. “I need to stand up and say something about my story,” Ashly remembers thinking at the time. 

“If it wasn’t for the church and the gospel of Jesus Christ, my life would still be in shambles today. Coming back to Christ and the church saved my life.”

“But now there are all these people that are bashing the church and saying all these things,” Ashly said, reflecting on how different her own experience had been. “Being in the gospel adds this depth to life … adding spiritual experiences in your life is such a beautiful thing.”

“It’s actually really cool to come back to church, and jump in with both feet,” she said. 

In an interview with the Deseret News, Ashly and Lauren joked about their hopes that their podcast will amplify the message: “Let’s make keeping covenants cool again.”
Ashly and Lauren aren’t alone in their work. Fiona Givens, who has co-authored “The God Who Weeps” and the “Christ Who Heals” with her husband Terryl, confirmed she is preparing an anthology of stories from people who have returned to the faith. Brigham Young University-Idaho professors Sarah and Eric D’Evegnee have also reviewed a number of “return narratives” now aggregated on the Faith is Not Blind website. 

I am glad there is a clearinghouse for these narratives.

Challenging departure stereotypes

Contrary to the presumption that “once you leave, you don’t come back,” professor Sam Hardy at Brigham Young University points to three different datasets that suggest a significant subset of people who leave do come back. 

In Hardy’s own 2023 nationally representative survey of 12,030 U.S. adults, he estimates that of the 35% of the sample who reported stepping away from religion, 22% had reconverted. And in the National Study of Youth and Religion, professors at the University of Notre Dame and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill followed a nationally representative sample of thousands of American teenagers across a decade starting in 2002. Out of 2,207 teenagers who first identified as committed to their faith, 11% reported stepping away three years later. But after another three years 36% had come back. 

A similar longitudinal study by professors at Brigham Young University, The Family Foundations of Youth Development, followed 1,600 families from Utah, Arizona and California starting in 2016 (61% identifying as Latter-day Saint). Of those teenagers who reported being religious at first, 10% stepped away two years later. Of that subgroup, 19% came back within another two years. (These shorter-term studies don’t account for people who return to faith after longer spans of time, or who leave again after coming back).

Very cool.  Heartening.

Becoming new

Not everyone celebrates these decisions to return. Lauren described a variety of emotions from some nonreligious friends and family. That included some who weren’t sure how to act around her, telling her at one point, “you aren’t you.”

“But I was,” she said. “I was just a happy version of me ... I was finally starting to heal.”

Lauren spoke of moments early on where she felt scared about returning to church, “I can’t believe I’m going to do this,” with thoughts like, “You can’t be a nice Latter-day Saint girl. That’s not who you are.”

But she outgrew those worries, eventually concluding: “I can choose whoever I want to be ... every person can … that’s how they become who they are.”

I am curious how often this happens, where some in the "community" of former (and often estranged, and hostile) Latter-day Saints become unhappy at one of their number returning to the Church.

Anyway, the whole article is worth a read.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

-Smac

2 hours ago, smac97 said:

‘Make keeping covenants cool again’: Exploring the stories of ex-ex-Latter-day Saints

Very cool.

Has anyone listened to this podcast?  If so, any thoughts about it?

"{Coming} back to the faith after grappling with substance abuse or other addictions" and "{People returning after having} worked through significant health and emotional challenges" are, for me, understandable narratives.  

I am a bit more intrigued by the "people who once embraced critical narratives about the church or its history" narratives.  I have many loved ones in this category.

I am glad there is a clearinghouse for these narratives.

Very cool.  Heartening.

I am curious how often this happens, where some in the "community" of former (and often estranged, and hostile) Latter-day Saints become unhappy at one of their number returning to the Church.

Anyway, the whole article is worth a read.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

-Smac

There is an article in the March Liahona with several similar stories.

22 hours ago, smac97 said:

Probably roughly proportional to those members who are often estranged and hostile to the “world” end up being happy when one of their number decides they would be happier outside the church.

Edited by The Nehor
6 hours ago, The Nehor said:

Probably roughly proportional to those members who are often estranged and hostile to the “world” end up being when one of their number decides they would be happier outside the church.

There's probably a lot of truth to this. 

20 hours ago, smac97 said:

In Hardy’s own 2023 nationally representative survey of 12,030 U.S. adults, he estimates that of the 35% of the sample who reported stepping away from religion, 22% had reconverted.

First, I’m ecstatic that Ms Stone was able to turn her life around and that she found meaning in her life. 

But, second, wow! Secularism has a 78% convert retention rate? I wonder how that compares to your church?

49 minutes ago, SeekingUnderstanding said:

First, I’m ecstatic that Ms Stone was able to turn her life around and that she found meaning in her life. 

But, second, wow! Secularism has a 78% convert retention rate?

Secularism is a religion?

Is Atheism a religion as well?

49 minutes ago, SeekingUnderstanding said:

I wonder how that compares to your church?

I'm not sure the comparison works very well.  "Secularism" has two primary definitions/meanings:

1. secular spirit or tendency, especially a system of political or social philosophy that rejects all forms of religious faith and worship.

2. the view that public education and other matters of civil policy should be conducted without the introduction of a religious element.

If you are intending to compare being a Latter-day Saint to the first definition, I think that doesn't work very well because "secularism" in that sense is a "system of political or social philosophy that rejects all forms of religious faith and worship," and so is not aptly compared to an ideological/philosophical community or system that is, by definition, "religious."  This "secularism" is not a "community" in any meaningful sense.  It has no leadership, no set of doctrines (other than to reject religious ones), no mechanism for joining or leaving it, no organized proselytizing or "retention" efforts, no property, etc.

Alternatively, if you are applying the second definition, then that also does not compare well.  "Secularism" in that sense is, in many ways, endorsed by the Church.  The Constitution's Establishment Clause is rooted in this sort of secularism, and it is that clause - and the broader notions of religious liberty embedded in the Constitution - that facilitated the Restoration.  But this definition also doesn't work in a secularism-v-Mormonism context.  Neither definition really allows for an apples-to-apples comparison.

Thanks,

-Smac

On 2/27/2024 at 7:21 PM, smac97 said:

I saw an instance of that occur on this very board many years ago. I can't remember both screen names, but I think one might have been Don Bradley. Don't remember the other one at all, but when Don (or whoever it was) confessed he was coming back, the response from the other person had a very distressed and betrayed sounding tone. 

Some crabs do truly feel betrayed when another one escapes the bucket. Others are glad if the escapee is truly happy over it. 

4 hours ago, Stargazer said:

I saw an instance of that occur on this very board many years ago. I can't remember both screen names, but I think one might have been Don Bradley. Don't remember the other one at all, but when Don (or whoever it was) confessed he was coming back, the response from the other person had a very distressed and betrayed sounding tone. 

Some crabs do truly feel betrayed when another one escapes the bucket. Others are glad if the escapee is truly happy over it. 

Works both ways as I’ve seen it. 

On 2/28/2024 at 11:03 AM, SeekingUnderstanding said:

But, second, wow! Secularism has a 78% convert retention rate? I wonder how that compares to your church?

In a strange way, the church has most certainly “retained” many of its former members who think they’ve moved on, because it’s obsessively lodged in their brains 24/7. It would be interesting to learn if there are any psychologists who believe this vicious cycle inability to move on can in any way be conducive to emotional healing and mental wellbeing? But I must say that at least from my untrained perspective it seems reasonable to believe that incessantly scratching at the scabs of unhealed wounds is a bad idea.

But could there be something else going on? Could it be that the spirits of those who’ve outwardly abandoned the faith still yearn so deeply to be connected to the living God and his saints that the unconscious mind realizes playing the role of a message board antagonist is better than being cutoff from the Lord and his people altogether? I’m reminded of Korihor who with supreme confidence adamantly insisted that he knew there was no God, only to later frankly confess that in his heart of hearts he always knew that God did indeed exist, even as his lips were denying him. This demonstrates one of the most important insights from the scriptures, that the fleshy mind of fallen man and the spirit child of God that resides within are, more often than not, at odds.

Edited by teddyaware
45 minutes ago, teddyaware said:

In a strange way, the church has most certainly “retained” many of its former members who think they’ve moved on, because it’s obsessively lodged in their brains 24/7. It would be interesting to learn if there are any psychologists who believe this vicious cycle inability to move on can in any way be conducive to emotional healing and mental wellbeing? But I must say that at least from my untrained perspective it seems reasonable to believe that incessantly scratching at the scabs of unhealed wounds is a bad idea.

But could there be something else going on? Could it be that the spirits of those who’ve outwardly abandoned the faith still yearn so deeply to be connected to the living God and his saints that the unconscious mind realizes playing the role of a message board antagonist is better than being cutoff from the Lord and his people altogether? I’m reminded of Korihor who with supreme confidence adamantly insisted that he knew there was no God, only to later frankly confess that in his heart of hearts he always knew that God did indeed exist, even as his lips were denying him. This demonstrates one of the most important insights from the scriptures, that the fleshy mind of fallen man and the spirit child of God that resides within are, more often than not, at odds.

Indeed. I made a pact with Satan himself in a secret ritual to be a thorn in your side bwa ha ha!

Alternatively, maybe if Latter-day Saints and other Christians minde their own business instead of attempting to legislate their narrow view of morality, some of us could more easily leave Mormonism in the past. 

Either one could be true. Who knows 🤷‍♂️

8 hours ago, MustardSeed said:

Works both ways as I’ve seen it. 

Yes, but we usually only hear about one of the ways - when there's a deconversion.

On 2/28/2024 at 9:03 AM, SeekingUnderstanding said:

Yes but secularism has an expiration date.  Once expired, it just gets worse and worse.

4 hours ago, Stargazer said:

Yes, but we usually only hear about one of the ways - when there's a deconversion.

My wards have always made a big deal over returns.

15 hours ago, carbon dioxide said:

Yes but secularism has an expiration date.  Once expired, it just gets worse and worse.

This kind of thinking and talking is why you’ve (collectively) lost 1/3 of those born and indoctrinated into religion (percentage per Hardy in OP). 

40 minutes ago, SeekingUnderstanding said:

This kind of thinking and talking is why you’ve (collectively) lost 1/3 of those born and indoctrinated into religion (percentage per Hardy in OP). 

1/3 you say? Interesting....🧐

On 3/2/2024 at 11:06 AM, SeekingUnderstanding said:

Alternatively, maybe if Latter-day Saints and other Christians minde their own business instead of attempting to legislate their narrow view of morality, some of us could more easily leave Mormonism in the past. 

threadjack alert:

This comment reminded me of something from a podcast I listened to months ago featuring Dr. Lisa Diamond (non-LDS U of U researcher who has taken a research interest in the intersection of LGBTQ+ issues and the LDS church). In this podcast, they talked about how common it is for LDS LGBTQ+ people to end up leaving the church (obviously not universal, as some stay affiliated). As they talked Dr. Diamond introduced the idea that, considering some of the difficulties the LDS LGBTQ+ people experience as they dissaffiliate, perhaps the church could come up with some pastoral strategies to help them disaffiliate so that the process was less difficult for them.

It's fairly well known that many who go through a faith crisis and end up disaffiliating go through a so-called "angry phase." Since hearing Dr. Diamond's suggestion, I've wondered if there was anything the church (either institutionally or we as believers, ministering brothers/sisters, home/visiting teachers, friends, neighbros, etc.) could do to make the process of disaffiliation easier and, hopefully, reduce the "angry phase." It should be obvious I don't believe it could be eliminated entirely, but could we reduce/mitigate some of the difficult outcomes for those who end up disaffiliating?

In my many years in the church, whenever we talk about ministering to doubters and those in faith crisis, we always assume that the end goal is to keep them affiliated "all-in" with the church. As such, it seems to me that we don't really know what to do with those who disaffiliate, or even those who end up on the "inside of the edge" (those who remain partially affiliated, but not "all-in."

For myself, as I go through my own process of deconstructing and possibly reconstructing my LDS affiliation, I find myself often thinking about the possibility of disaffiliation. If/when that happens, I really do not want to go through an "angry phase." Perhaps this question nags at me because, if I want to avoid an angry phase, I'm not sure I know how to avoid it, since there is no real support (from the church's perspective) for disaffiliation.

Anyway, just a random threadjack, if anyone wants to go down that tangent.

21 minutes ago, MrShorty said:

threadjack alert:

This comment reminded me of something from a podcast I listened to months ago featuring Dr. Lisa Diamond (non-LDS U of U researcher who has taken a research interest in the intersection of LGBTQ+ issues and the LDS church). In this podcast, they talked about how common it is for LDS LGBTQ+ people to end up leaving the church (obviously not universal, as some stay affiliated). As they talked Dr. Diamond introduced the idea that, considering some of the difficulties the LDS LGBTQ+ people experience as they dissaffiliate, perhaps the church could come up with some pastoral strategies to help them disaffiliate so that the process was less difficult for them.

It's fairly well known that many who go through a faith crisis and end up disaffiliating go through a so-called "angry phase." Since hearing Dr. Diamond's suggestion, I've wondered if there was anything the church (either institutionally or we as believers, ministering brothers/sisters, home/visiting teachers, friends, neighbros, etc.) could do to make the process of disaffiliation easier and, hopefully, reduce the "angry phase." It should be obvious I don't believe it could be eliminated entirely, but could we reduce/mitigate some of the difficult outcomes for those who end up disaffiliating?

In my many years in the church, whenever we talk about ministering to doubters and those in faith crisis, we always assume that the end goal is to keep them affiliated "all-in" with the church. As such, it seems to me that we don't really know what to do with those who disaffiliate, or even those who end up on the "inside of the edge" (those who remain partially affiliated, but not "all-in."

For myself, as I go through my own process of deconstructing and possibly reconstructing my LDS affiliation, I find myself often thinking about the possibility of disaffiliation. If/when that happens, I really do not want to go through an "angry phase." Perhaps this question nags at me because, if I want to avoid an angry phase, I'm not sure I know how to avoid it, since there is no real support (from the church's perspective) for disaffiliation.

Anyway, just a random threadjack, if anyone wants to go down that tangent.

I think the “angry phase,” along with the other phases of grief, loss, and other life adjustments are normal and should not be interfered with or disrupted unless they create some pathology. I believe the Church teaches members how to treat others and themselves (mostly by listening) under trying circumstances so they can pass through them without avoiding that which is normal and ultimately helpful in stabilizing the emotional impacts of struggle. The emotional resilience course consolidates these teachings. Discipleship helps us apply them.

Here's a good article addressing some of these questions from this month's Liahona: https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/liahona/2024/03/digital-only-young-adults/can-i-belong-at-home-when-my-family-doesnt-accept-the-gospel?lang=eng

Edited by CV75