Seriously No Politics ×

Mormon Names

Some LDS give their children "Mormon" names. One of my brothers named one of his sons Hunter. I've also heard names like Nephi and Lehi. I wonder if there are some on this board who were given a "Mormon" name at birth, and what has been your experience.

23 minutes ago, Thinking said:

Some LDS give their children "Mormon" names. One of my brothers named one of his sons Hunter. I've also heard names like Nephi and Lehi. I wonder if there are some on this board who were given a "Mormon" name at birth, and what has been your experience.

Are you saying Hunter is a Mormon name?

Hunter is an English unisex given name. Notable people with the name include:

Hunter courtney

Fictional characters

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunter_(given_name)

Edited by ksfisher
3 minutes ago, ksfisher said:

Are you saying Hunter is a Mormon name?

Seems unlikely.  Not that popular in Utah compared to some other states for one thing.

https://www.mamanatural.com/baby-names/boys/hunter/

Now Nephi is only significant in two states, Utah and California…

https://www.mamanatural.com/baby-names/boys/nephi/

Edited by Calm

Apostle Charles A Callis before he was an Apostle was a missionary and baptized my first family members 7 generations back. I bear his and his companion's name.

Callis is a rather unique name. A variant of the Latin "Chalice". Charles was from Irland. I only know because he's from the Ensign story of a missionary who thought he was a failure because he only baptized "one dirty, little Irish kid", who became an Apostle. An inspiring missionary story, you never know what the fruits of your mission might be.

Edited by Pyreaux
22 minutes ago, Thinking said:

I don't know that Hunter counts as a mormon name as I know more nonmormon Hunters than I do mormon ones.  But I've also heard some unique BOM names as well so it obviously happens, but in my experience it's been rare.  I think I know of 3 or 4 people who have a uniquely Mormon name, and that's over my entire life so far.

28 minutes ago, Thinking said:

My middle name is "The Church of Jesus Christ of latter-day Saints."

26 minutes ago, webbles said:

https://www.deseret.com/2022/4/22/23025555/perspective-give-lakynns-mom-a-break-three-cheers-for-utahs-peculiar-baby-names-parenting-babies talks about some of the more unique names that you might see in Utah.  I'm not sure I would call them "Mormon" names, though.  I've always thought of them as "Utah" names.

Utah names are crazy.  I've met two baby boys named Maveryk in the last year.

4 hours ago, Thinking said:

It's not an exclusive Mormon name, but he was named after Howard W. Hunter.

Brigham was at the top of unique names for a state for Utah for one list I saw.  I can’t remember for what year.  The female name was Oaklee.

Biblical names appear to be very popular in Utah these days, but not so much the past as the census goes back to 1960 and they were just the usual names with no weird spellings or unusual contexts. 

Noah is supposedly very popular in the US these days. While I love the sound of it, the context is not one I would choose. 

Sometimes I wonder if popular baby names lists just randomly select names. 

Edited by Calm
7 hours ago, Thinking said:

There aren't that many uniquely "Mormon" first names.  From the Book of Mormon, we have "Lehi," "Nephi," "Moroni," "Ammon," "Abinadi," "Helaman," "Lamoni,"  which I think are unique to us.  However, we also have "Sam/Samuel," "Benjamin," "Enos," "Ishmael," "Jacob," "Joseph," "Jared," "Timothy," and others which are not unique.  In terms of people with these names today, I know one "Moroni" and a few "Ammons," But that's about it for the unique names.  I know plenty of Sams, Ben,s Jacobs, Josephs, Jareds, Timothys, etc.

There are also some "church history" names that, while not totally unique to us, tend to be more "Mormon" than not.  Brigham, Hyrum, and Heber come to mind.

Thanks,

-Smac

1 hour ago, JLHPROF said:

Having Mormon names can't be any worse than what Utah Mormons name their poor children...

f93647bb0afa99e09ea7f2a5403d9627.jpg

Hey!  Rhiannon is a solid Welsh name…and a great Fleetwood Mac song.

And Zephon is biblical.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zephon_(angel)

And Shakotah is Native American. 

The rest as far as I know are alternative spellings or created names, but I may have missed some with solid histories.

Edited by Calm
11 hours ago, JLHPROF said:

Having Mormon names can't be any worse than what Utah Mormons name their poor children...

f93647bb0afa99e09ea7f2a5403d9627.jpg

It seems to me that, for Utah anyway, this sort of thing is a function of younger parents of lower literacy and education, combined with their life inexperience, maturity and kick of awareness, dealing with the most astounding thing that has ever happened to them. One way is to give the most unique and fanciful name they can think of to their miracle of life to express the awesomeness and wondrousness of it all.

We see odd spellings among other groups as well for these and other, more specific reasons having to do with trying to identify with their pre- USA origins many generations on while asserting some uniqueness within the broader cohesiveness.

1 hour ago, CV75 said:

It seems to me that, for Utah anyway, this sort of thing is a function of younger parents of lower literacy and education, combined with their life inexperience, maturity and kick of awareness, dealing with the most astounding thing that has ever happened to them. One way is to give the most unique and fanciful name they can think of to their miracle of life to express the awesomeness and wondrousness of it all.

We see odd spellings among other groups as well for these and other, more specific reasons having to do with trying to identify with their pre- USA origins many generations on while asserting some uniqueness within the broader cohesiveness.

Why do you believe that Utah parents have a lower literacy and education rate than other states parents?

6 minutes ago, bluebell said:

Why do you believe that Utah parents have a lower literacy and education rate than other states parents?

I don't -- I'm saying this the general profile among those who name their babies like this. Naming fads and trends can be regional or tied to some other identity marker, so these particular inventions might be found only in Utah (if that is the case). It could also be a national trend (I do not know). Maturity, trendspotting and wannabeism are additional factors I suggested. In an area of a younger parenting age demographic such as Utah (Im guessing), these would be more common.

There are some names that I think are pretty or sound good that are exclusive to the BOM, but I would choose them because I liked them and not because I wanted anyone to make the connection or because I was naming my kid after someone or something.

4 hours ago, CV75 said:

I don't -- I'm saying this the general profile among those who name their babies like this. Naming fads and trends can be regional or tied to some other identity marker, so these particular inventions might be found only in Utah (if that is the case). It could also be a national trend (I do not know). Maturity, trendspotting and wannabeism are additional factors I suggested. In an area of a younger parenting age demographic such as Utah (Im guessing), these would be more common.

How do you explain the names of Elon Musk’s children, lol? 

45 minutes ago, Peacefully said:

How do you explain the names of Elon Musk’s children, lol? 

I suppose the Musks evidently have their own unique identity markers and the means of conveying them! I take most naming of children to be in the spirit of love. Love of someone or something! :D 

Occam's razor? Some insight perhaps from the inexperienced mother herself: Elon Musk's partner Grimes reveals meaning behind baby's name, X Æ A-12 | CNN