Seriously No Politics ×

36 new missions

This adjustment will allow mission leaders to have more interaction with missionaries and more missionaries to be assigned to wards and branches.

If they have enough people available to serve as Mission President Couple, then it makes sense to me to have smaller missions to both give missionaries more interaction with leaders and to allow the leaders to get to know individuals better and to keep an eye on things.

Looks like one of them is probably going to be in my area, Utah Spanish Fork (Mapleton usually gets attached to Spanish Fork or Springville).  We have one set of Elders and one set of Sisters for our stake. My guess is that number won’t go up though for our stake.  We are still listed as Provo Mission.

Edited by Calm
9 hours ago, bluebell said:

My friend's son is serving in a mission in Brazil and he is currently 19 hours from the mission home.  He's only been out about 4 months but the last time we spoke about it (about 2 weeks ago) he had not spoken to his mission president yet one on one, even though he's been struggling and reached out for help. 

Smaller missions with more interaction is probably a good thing.

You are right, smaller missions equals more knowledge of missionaries, situations etc.

20 hours ago, Calm said:

If they have enough people available to serve as Mission President Couple, then it makes sense to me to have smaller missions to both give missionaries more interaction with leaders and to allow the leaders to get to know individuals better and to keep an eye on things.

I think staffing this will be an issue…well maybe. MPs get reimbursed for expenses and a lot of other perks to be an MP. So perhaps may not be very difficult to get MPs . 

i am assuming they will need senior missionaries. Good luck on that. Elder rasband was practically begging senior couples to serve at the last conference. He was pretty clear in saying they cannot fill all the vacancies and now they are creating more. 

i have interaction with lots of lds baby boomers in my work. Compared to their heathen peers, more lds couples cannot retire at a reasonable age much less finance 3500-5000/mo for a mission. Granted this is anecdotal, but I see it on a regular if not predictable basis and these are people with good paying careers. They just don’t save and now they want a rescue plan when they are mid fifties. The ones who do have the money… most have not expressed a desire to go on a mission. At least not to me and they are still around (retired but not on mission) so there’s that. The more “humble” crowd seems more likely to want to go, but do not have the resources. 

The church could just pay for senior missions and fill the spots quickly. I have several clients who would do it, but their savings won’t withstand that early retirement major hit. It is a “sequence of returns “ issue and drawing off 40-60k a couple years straight in addition to their other expenses on the outset of retirement will destroy many income plans. They just never saved enough. 

Edited by Diamondhands69