Jump to content
Seriously No Politics ×

Can Latter Day Saints workout on Sunday?


Geekfrog

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Geekfrog said:

Just a question I’ve always wondered

As long as it’s not to a gym that requires staffing, which might mean some are forced to work on Sunday when they don’t want to and you might want to make sure it doesn’t impinge on family time where it is hard to get everyone together on weekdays because of different activities, it is not going to be an issue, I suspect.

I look on it like eating or getting dressed, it’s part of the routine of taking care of yourself.  It is not entertainment.

Probably the biggest reason not to would be if doing so prevented you from being able to feel like you were setting the day apart from the rest of the week.

I try to exercise on Sunday (though I don’t go swimming which is my preference) because it helps depression and anxiety and the effect lasts around 24 hours, sometimes a few hours less, sometimes a few hours more.

Edited by Calm
Link to comment
15 hours ago, Geekfrog said:

Just a question I’ve always wondered

Yeah. I often go on hikes on sunday. As calm mentioned, I would feel uncomfortable going to a place with paid staff.

I personally look at things like Hikes as another source of communing with God. So I'll work a sweat, clear my thoughts, and usually take a break where I can ponder and/or pray. 

Link to comment
14 hours ago, Calm said:

Probably the biggest reason not to would be if doing so prevented you from being able to feel like you were setting the day apart from the rest of the week.

This is the criteria I use to determine if I want to do something on Sunday or not.  My wife and I love being outdoors.  Hiking, birding, etc.  But if I were to do that on Sunday it would make it feel just like any other day of the week.

Link to comment

The custom was not working or purchasing things that forces others to work. There was a lot of respect to be had, but it's now days a luxury of those with weekday jobs, or those who could choose Sunday off, while being understanding to essential services.

Though keeping the Sunday sabbath holy has broad notions. We'd slow cook a roast. Only buying gas at a pay outside pump.

I was nearly traumatized as a child visiting another member's house and we couldn't watch TV or play video games. I was then grateful for my parents.

Edited by Pyreaux
Link to comment

Church members can do anything they want to.   The scriptures say not to work or cause others to work on the Sabbath.  If you use a gym or consider your workouts as a chore/work, then it would logically fit in that category.    But if it is a pleasure, then it might be completely consistent with what we do on the Sabbath to honor Jesus Christ.   I suspect that there are members who fit in both sides of that.

Link to comment
22 hours ago, Pyreaux said:

The custom was not working or purchasing things that forces others to work. There was a lot of respect to be had, but it's now days a luxury of those with weekday jobs, or those who could choose Sunday off, while being understanding to essential services.

Though keeping the Sunday sabbath holy has broad notions. We'd slow cook a roast. Only buying gas at a pay outside pump.

I was nearly traumatized as a child visiting another member's house and we couldn't watch TV or play video games. I was then grateful for my parents.

I don't think this is what you are talking about, but just checking to make sure since you have the 2 things in the same line.  Are you saying you cook the roast on your engine? My dad did that several times and we have done it once or twice, though not as a part of keeping the Sabbath.  Just for normal traveling. That would be a great way to have a good meal while traveling on Sunday.

Link to comment
16 minutes ago, Rain said:

I don't think this is what you are talking about, but just checking to make sure since you have the 2 things in the same line.  Are you saying you cook the roast on your engine? My dad did that several times and we have done it once or twice, though not as a part of keeping the Sabbath.  Just for normal traveling. That would be a great way to have a good meal while traveling on Sunday.

Nope, just lazy Sunday cooking. We're never lived far from the church. I'm... fascinated by this notion of cooking on your engine... I must know more. How to secure it, and how long/far it takes to cook it.

Link to comment

Cars pre 2000s had engines that were much more exposed so that a " tinfoil dinner " could be put on them to cook. Now the engine compartment is all covered in black plastic covers that make it very difficult to access a spot hot enough to cook anything. I blame the liability lawyers.

Edited by blackstrap
Link to comment
22 hours ago, Pyreaux said:

Nope, just lazy Sunday cooking. We're never lived far from the church. I'm... fascinated by this notion of cooking on your engine... I must know more. How to secure it, and how long/far it takes to cook it.

I never was the one who did it.  My husband and dad did. They wrapped it with a lot of tinfoil, folding it at the ends to seal it.  I believe they used wire to attach it.  The time depended on how big it was.  I loved driving into gas stations when it was done because it smelled so good and you could see everyone trying to figure out where it came from. 

I googled it and found these instructions: https://www.wikihow.com/Cook-Food-on-Your-Car's-Engine

Edited by Rain
Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...