Seriously No Politics ×

Facial Hair & Leadership Positions

A scientific study is not really necessary to recognize that more men are currently sporting facial hair than in years past. Recently I attended a sacrament meeting and noticed that a majority of the men in attendance had some sort of facial hair beyond the missionary clean shave. I joked to one of my brothers in attendance that it would be easy to pick out the members of the bishopric (before they took their places on the rostrum) as they would be clean shaven. He replied that the first counselor in his ward had a goatee.

I'm curious what others are seeing in their wards.

19 minutes ago, Thinking said:

A scientific study is not really necessary to recognize that more men are currently sporting facial hair than in years past. Recently I attended a sacrament meeting and noticed that a majority of the men in attendance had some sort of facial hair beyond the missionary clean shave. I joked to one of my brothers in attendance that it would be easy to pick out the members of the bishopric (before they took their places on the rostrum) as they would be clean shaven. He replied that the first counselor in his ward had a goatee.

About the same percentages among the men in ward leadership, across the board.

I've never heard the term "missionary clean shave" -- that a common term, or just how you described it for your post?

Several years ago, my ward was informally dubbed "the most bearded ward in the stake" by numerous stake people.   About the same time, the bishopric decided to have a beard growing contest with the young men which lasted several months.  (The bishop lost to several YM, but his 1st counselor absolutely wiped out all competition with his beautiful majestic leonine mane that sprung up seemingly overnight.)

I've had goatees and beards my whole active life, and 5 wards in 2 different states routinely make me clerk or Gospel Essentials teacher. (Not exactly leadership, I know.)

48 minutes ago, Thinking said:

Several guys in our ward wear beards, including our bishop. There are a few on-again-off-again mustaches as well. 

I would say those with facial hair are still in the minority, but my rough estimate is that the percentage of bearded men at church is pretty similar to what I see at work. I don't pay super close attention though, so there's a chance I'm wrong about that. :)  

Edited by Amulek
29 minutes ago, CV75 said:

About the same percentages among the men in ward leadership, across the board.

I've never heard the term "missionary clean shave" -- that a common term, or just how you described it for your post?

I wanted to be clear about what "clean shave" meant.

When can this church culture thing be done????  I know many a newly called member of a bishopric that shaved off their beard after being told to do so when called.   It is almost a giveaway as to the new members of the bishopric.

It would be nice to have a 70 sport a beard....

13 minutes ago, SkyRock said:

When can this church culture thing be done????  I know many a newly called member of a bishopric that shaved off their beard after being told to do so when called.   It is almost a giveaway as to the new members of the bishopric.

It would be nice to have a 70 sport a beard....

In the 1970s, when I was a Branch President, I asked my District Pres to interview me to renew my Temple Recommend. He told me to call him back after I shaved off the beard that I had had for almost all of my adult life. My (now ex-)wife cried herself to sleep that night, because she knew she wouldn't see me bearded again for a long time. My daughter cried when a strange-looking man tried to pick her up the next day.

And for what? A US corporate grooming standard?

The bishop in my parents ward in Wyoming had a beard 7 years ago.  Facial hair outside of utah in leadership isn't really an issue that i've seen.  We live in a stake here in utah though where it did use to be a rule.  When my husband was called as a counselor (four years ago) he told them he wouldn't shave and the bishop told the stake he wanted him anyway, so he served his tenure with a full (and somewhat long) beard. 

The old stake president's wife was not a fan.  :lol:

(As far as I can tell the no beard policy for serving in the temple seems to be a temple-wide thing though and not just certain temple presidents).

One beard in our bishopric. I couldn't tell you about the EQP because I can't think of who they are.   No beards in the stake presidency. My son, who is in his EQP, has a mustache.  My husband says the newer HC have beards, the older ones, except him don't.   His own beard comes and goes and actually has more to do with not wanting to shave and not liking his beard when it gets to the longer "itching stage".

3 hours ago, Thinking said:

Samesies. Our old SP tried to insist on clean shavenness for bishoprics. Our bishop didn't care and our new SP doesn't as well. That's the last I've seen of it. I recently went to the english ward for a baby blessing. It was still fairly traditional utah ward in the sense that every guy was wearing a white shirt. But both counselors in the bishopric sported facial hair and much of the ward did as well. My husband had his hair up in a short pony tale with his usual scruff-but-not-fully beard that he looks best in and was the one guy in a colored shirt. 

Don't know if anyone else noticed, but the saturday afternoon session had a very diverse choir filled with just about every hair style...including several with varying types of facial hair. 

It's been a slow death...but it's rapidly dying. 

With luv,

BD

Edited by BlueDreams
1 hour ago, BlueDreams said:

Don't know if anyone else noticed, but the saturday afternoon session had a very diverse choir filled with just about every hair style...including several with varying types of facial hair. 

Yep.

It feels like it got over the hump and it’s a quick coast till it’s going to get removed at least unofficially.  BYU may drag their feet, not wanting to look like the honor code bows to popular opinion.

Edited by Calm