Seriously No Politics ×

Looking for scripture

Protestant doctrine of "Eternal Security" or "Perseverance of the Saints" dictates it is impossible for a truly saved person to fall away (while those who fall were never actually saved to begin with). Jesus says, “I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand” (John 10:28). A claim worthy of consideration because Jesus is making a promise in "eternal life".

Early in section 132 of the Doctrine and Covenants, a passage from the Gospel of John gets repeated. The passage reads: “This is eternal lives—to know the only wise and true God, and Jesus Christ, whom he hath sent” (D&C 132:24; John 17:3). So, “life” gets changed to “lives”. The term "fulness of the priesthood", is in Doctrine and Covenants 124:28.

Certain temple anointings makes statements of security, "A person may be anointed king and priest long before he receives his kingdom." (History of the Church (Vol. 5 p. 527) However, even being "sealed up to eternal lives" will do no good if one breaks their covenants (Heber C. Kimball, Journal of Discourses 3:124.)

Edited by Pyreaux
2 hours ago, Christian Mormon said:

Looking for D&C scripture about being a LDS member a person is automatically saved ..because of continued repentance 

THX

I know of no such scripture.  It doesn't really even make sense that one would exist.  Just because someone was a member of the church of Jesus Christ of latter-day saints doesn't mean they are continually repenting.  

20 hours ago, Christian Mormon said:

Looking for D&C scripture about being a LDS member a person is automatically saved ..because of continued repentance 

THX

Are you talking about the guarantee of salvation if one accepts the ordinances and endures to the end?

22 hours ago, Christian Mormon said:

THX

Mayve Mosiah 26 or similar passages:

29 Therefore I say unto you, Go; and whosoever transgresseth against me, him shall ye ajudge baccording to the sins which he has committed; and if he cconfess his sins before thee and me, and drepenteth in the sincerity of his heart, him shall ye eforgive, and I will forgive him also.

30 Yea, and aas often as my people brepent will I forgive them their trespasses against me.

22 hours ago, Christian Mormon said:

THX

No one is saved automatically, unless you are talking about children who die before the age of accountability.  For the rest of us repentance is part of being saved but there's a lot more to it than that. We must become the kind of person God wants us to become, perform the required ordinances, and endure to the end. 

On 10/10/2023 at 3:42 PM, Christian Mormon said:

The following scripture doesn't say in so many words that "being a LDS member a person is automatically saved ...because of continued repentance", but I can see how it could be consistent with that idea:

"I the Lord, am bound when ye do what I say; but when ye do not what I say, ye have no promise." (D&C 82:10)

Here are some teachings from Section 38 (taken from verses 16 and 27) which imo can be interpreted as implying a universal oneness inclusive of non-members(!): 

"And all flesh is mine, and I am no respecter of persons... be one; and if ye are not one ye are not mine."

So Christ is telling us that we are all his, and that if we are not one we are not his; BUT he just told us that we ARE ALL his!  THEREFORE the logical implication is that, despite all outward appearances to the contrary, we are one. 

And if we are his and we are one, then we have no need to fear, but we DO still have work to do.

"fear not, for the kingdom is yours." (verse 15)

Edited by manol

The meanings of words shift over time. A word in Koine Greek (New Testament Greek) may be translated as X in a modern language, but even many modern language words as they were used a mere 200 years ago are certain to have shifted over time to have different meanings in the modern language now. And then there is the problem of scribal error, which may be undetectable due to various factors. And as Michael Ash points out in his book Rethinking Revelation and the Human Element in Scripture, it is virtually certain that a prophet may not "get" everything as it came from God's mind into his, when he comes to write what God has directed him to write. Especially if he doesn't write it right away.

This is kind of why I tend to trust modern revealed scripture over the ancient.

We do sometimes forget that salvation and exaltation are two different things. The term "eternal life" is frequently used to mean immortality, which is not even denied to those who never repent, must suffer the punishment Christ described as "exquisite" and hard even for Him to bear (see D&C 19:18), and who inherit the telestial kingdom. In D&C 19 the Lord makes it very clear, however, that eternal life is God's life -- and not mere immortality -- and I use His definition of "eternal," where He says (in D&C 19:10-12):

10 For, behold, the mystery of godliness, how great is it! For, behold, I am endless, and the punishment which is given from my hand is endless punishment, for Endless is my name. Wherefore—
11 Eternal punishment is God’s punishment.
12 Endless punishment is God’s punishment.

In other words, God's punishment is what Jesus suffered on the cross and in Gethsemane, and God's life is the life that God Himself lives. Which is not the life of those who inherit the Terrestrial and Telestial Kingdoms.

A person who has accepted Christ, been baptized, and then never bothers to fix up his or her life (i.e. the person continues to live a sinful life without repenting), will go on to the Spirit World where he or she will still need to repent to inherit the Terrestrial Kingdom. Repentance is said to be harder in the SW, but it is certainly not impossible. So, a Christian who has lived a life which could be described as "not valiant in the testimony of Jesus" (D&C 76:79), will inherit the Terrestrial Kingdom. Such persons do not suffer the punishment described in D&C 19:18. But they do not inherit the Celestial Kingdom.

"I won't go to Hell for swearing because I repent too damn fast!" - J. Golden Kimball

We are required to repent before we partake of the sacrament. Why? Because in partaking of the sacrament worthily we are blessed with forgiveness of the sins that we have repented of. Thus we become clean, in the same way we become clean when we are baptized. This is why it is stated very clearly in the scriptures that if we have not repented, we should not partake of the sacrament until we have done so. Elder John H. Groberg taught this beautifully in the April 1989 General Conference, when he said (emphasis added):

"Do you remember the feeling you had when you were baptized—that sweet, clean feeling of a pure soul, having been forgiven, washed clean through the merits of the Savior? If we partake of the sacrament worthily, we can feel that way regularly, for we renew that covenant, which includes his forgiveness.

"Those who would deny themselves the blessing of the sacrament by not attending sacrament meeting or by not thinking of the Savior during the services surely must not understand the great opportunity to be forgiven, to have his Spirit to guide and comfort them! What more could anyone ask?"

Why else would we bring the sacrament to those who are unable to come to church for sacrament meeting due to ill health? 

So, what @Christian Mormon says about "...a person is automatically saved ..because of continued repentance" is true. It's just not fully stated in the scriptures, per se, but strongly implied.

Throwing the word "automatically" around like this, however, is not really a good use of the term. It implies "without effort," which it is certainly not.

On 10/10/2023 at 1:42 PM, Christian Mormon said:

THX

With your fish logo you should look up vesica piscis, and see what it means in other religions.

And the number 153 in the draught of fishes 

Interesting stuff.

On 10/10/2023 at 3:15 PM, Pyreaux said:

Protestant doctrine of "Eternal Security" or "Perseverance of the Saints" dictates it is impossible for a truly saved person to fall away (while those who fall were never actually saved to begin with). Jesus says, “I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand” (John 10:28). A claim worthy of consideration because Jesus is making a promise in "eternal life".

Early in section 132 of the Doctrine and Covenants, a passage from the Gospel of John gets repeated. The passage reads: “This is eternal lives—to know the only wise and true God, and Jesus Christ, whom he hath sent” (D&C 132:24; John 17:3). So, “life” gets changed to “lives”. The term "fulness of the priesthood", is in Doctrine and Covenants 124:28.

Certain temple anointings makes statements of security, "A person may be anointed king and priest long before he receives his kingdom." (History of the Church (Vol. 5 p. 527) However, even being "sealed up to eternal lives" will do no good if one breaks their covenants (Heber C. Kimball, Journal of Discourses 3:124.)

Let's be a little more specific than just Protestantism. Let's say 5 Point Calvinists or Westminster Reformed. 

7 hours ago, Damien the Leper said:

Let's be a little more specific than just Protestantism. Let's say 5 Point Calvinists or Westminster Reformed. 

I've been hearing it from Non-Denominational Christians, I'm sorry for conveying hodgepodge doctrine from a denomination that is intentionally nonspecific, though these particular folks were very Anti-Calvinism.

4 hours ago, Pyreaux said:

I've been hearing it from Non-Denominational Christians, I'm sorry for conveying hodgepodge doctrine from a denomination that is intentionally nonspecific, though these particular folks were very Anti-Calvinism.

So they accept the good feeling parts of Calvinism and reject the parts that come across as harsh?

I need a lot to repent for. I've done some crazy sins these last weeks. So i need to ask for forgiveness. And will do that also next week in church with more effort.

A girl in the church was so kind to me. She said to me that i don't need to be worried that i will end up in hell (something i'm really afrait off) and that i need to find my "new man." That where her words to me. So...that was kind of her to say.✝️ 

1 hour ago, Dario_M said:

I need a lot to repent for. I've done some crazy sins these last weeks. So i need to ask for forgiveness. And will do that also next week in church with more effort.

A girl in the church was so kind to me. She said to me that i don't need to be worried that i will end up in hell (something i'm really afrait off) and that i need to find my "new man." That where her words to me. So...that was kind of her to say.✝️ 

She is right.  It is something we each must do.

8 hours ago, Pyreaux said:

That is odd and a somewhat deviation from their norm. Fascinating anomaly. I'll have to talk to some of my evangelical friends and see if they've recognized a trend that I'm obviously not familiar with.