Jump to content
Seriously No Politics ×

General Conference Rumors


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, JustAnAustralian said:

I haven't heard any, but I can start one:

President Nelson channels Steve Jobs and does a "one more thing" style announcement after the temple announcements. 

Temple announcements lost luster for me since Tacoma was announced a while ago and there is still no location secured.  I’d prefer location secured before announcing.  
 

feels like Oprah - And You get a temple, and You get a temple….

Link to comment
7 hours ago, MustardSeed said:

Temple announcements lost luster for me since Tacoma was announced a while ago and there is still no location secured.  I’d prefer location secured before announcing.  
 

feels like Oprah - And You get a temple, and You get a temple….

I’ve always wondered what pushes something over the edge for an announcement, as the announcement doesn’t seem to correlate at all with stage of development. There are obviously numerous sites that are in different phases prior to any announcement, but what are the things that push something to give it an announcement, as the announcement doesn’t seem to signify anything other than being official. I know President Eyring mentioned something about this when he worked for that department when the Bountiful temple was announced and he was unaware of it, and perhaps it wasn’t even on his radar. Can’t remember the specifics.

Link to comment
2 minutes ago, bluebell said:

I thought you were going to predict that the church was going to start putting restaurants in chapels. I could probably get behind that.

I was leaning towards temple work done on a drive through or takeout/delivery basis as well now.

Link to comment
1 hour ago, bluebell said:

I thought you were going to predict that the church was going to start putting restaurants in chapels. I could probably get behind that.

Good idea!

It would only be an act of humanitarian service, since Covid and all, and free up Relief Society from cleaning tables.

Link to comment
14 hours ago, CA Steve said:

In the spirit of a restauration movement,

In the true spirit of restauration, the church will add a drive through window to the Beehive House Restaurant on Temple Square.

Edit: Darn, someone else already beat me to the joke.

 

Edited by helix
Link to comment
On 9/26/2023 at 10:21 AM, InCognitus said:

I heard a rumor that the general authorities are now saying that a decision to create a new hymnbook is what caused the war in heaven in the beginning. This is being adopted as doctrine now, and any plans to further change the current hymnbook have been halted.

Now I KNOW the church is true!! 

Link to comment

My understanding is somewhat limited, but I have heard (in my dreams) that a third category will be added to the categorization for attendance and participation in the life and work of the LDS ward. As of now, there are commonly accepted categories of "member" and "investigator."

Following conference, the handbook will be amended to include "faithful non-member" as a category for participation in all but those activities requiring priesthood authority. This will have a beneficial effect on every ward that takes the opportunity to have faithful folks attend and participate in the service. Oh, and since it will increase attendance it will also increase the tithing amount returned to each ward based on Sunday morning chapel attendance! Its a win-win! 😴 - In my dreams!

Link to comment
1 hour ago, Navidad said:

My understanding is somewhat limited, but I have heard (in my dreams) that a third category will be added to the categorization for attendance and participation in the life and work of the LDS ward. As of now, there are commonly accepted categories of "member" and "investigator."

Following conference, the handbook will be amended to include "faithful non-member" as a category for participation in all but those activities requiring priesthood authority. This will have a beneficial effect on every ward that takes the opportunity to have faithful folks attend and participate in the service. Oh, and since it will increase attendance it will also increase the tithing amount returned to each ward based on Sunday morning chapel attendance! Its a win-win! 😴 - In my dreams!

It's a win-win for sure for those like me that miss the social end. I could still go but I sometimes feel like those that know of my faith issues may think I'm a sheep in wolves clothing. If we had an open door to a faith non believer that misses the social end of the LDS participation and service opportunities I would feel less like a suspect and more like just a friend to all that would have me. 

Link to comment
1 hour ago, Navidad said:

My understanding is somewhat limited, but I have heard (in my dreams) that a third category will be added to the categorization for attendance and participation in the life and work of the LDS ward. As of now, there are commonly accepted categories of "member" and "investigator."

Following conference, the handbook will be amended to include "faithful non-member" as a category for participation in all but those activities requiring priesthood authority. This will have a beneficial effect on every ward that takes the opportunity to have faithful folks attend and participate in the service. Oh, and since it will increase attendance it will also increase the tithing amount returned to each ward based on Sunday morning chapel attendance! Its a win-win! 😴 - In my dreams!

No, that is what has already made the confusion and doctrinal sea of apparently different beliefs presently called "Christianity".

Will they accept a Human God, embodied?

Will they accept new books of scripture?

Modern day Prophets?

A Prophet today?

Ordinances only found in the temple including sealings for eternity?

Family History and as a COMMANDMENT?

And so "faithful nonmembers" will teach that?

How much of that do YOU actually understand, believe and have the authority to explain to life-long members as all necessary to become Gods and Godesses?

Where can that be found in the Bible?

Less than two hours a week is all the time left for teaching ALL THIS, and now you want to teach some generic Christianity, which we find wanting in all these areas, and folks teaching what they don't understand OR believe?

Not likely. :)

AND incidentally the delegated authority of the bishop is necessary to perform ANY calling or activity in the church.

Link to comment
35 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

It's a win-win for sure for those like me that miss the social end. I could still go but I sometimes feel like those that know of my faith issues may think I'm a sheep in wolves clothing. If we had an open door to a faith non believer that misses the social end of the LDS participation and service opportunities I would feel less like a suspect and more like just a friend to all that would have me. 

We have families of non-members who participate in social activities.

It's great to see them.  Of course they do not attend church, they are well pleased with their own, and cannot accept all our doctrines anyway 

Link to comment
44 minutes ago, mfbukowski said:

No, that is what has already made the confusion and doctrinal sea of apparently different beliefs presently called "Christianity".

Will they accept a Human God, embodied?

Will they accept new books of scripture?

Modern day Prophets?

A Prophet today?

Ordinances only found in the temple including sealings for eternity?

Family History and as a COMMANDMENT?

And so "faithful nonmembers" will teach that?

How much of that do YOU actually understand, believe and have the authority to explain to life-long members as all necessary to become Gods and Godesses?

Where can that be found in the Bible?

Less than two hours a week is all the time left for teaching ALL THIS, and now you want to teach some generic Christianity, which we find wanting in all these areas, and folks teaching what they don't understand OR believe?

Not likely. :)

AND incidentally the delegated authority of the bishop is necessary to perform ANY calling or activity in the church.

I was trying inject more humor into a conversation that was already replete with it (humor). Humor, nothing more. BTW, as an aside, as a "faithful nonmember" I would happily relate LDS beliefs to an LDS audience without comment or criticsm. I have done it many times over the years when teaching a variety of religion or theology courses.  As a professor of psychology, I faithfully taught many a belief that I personally did not hold or "accept." As a historian I have to teach many a viewpoint that I may not personally hold. It isn't that hard! 😄 In faith, there is so much more to teach than doctrine. Have you ever read any of my sacrament talks? I would love to know what you find objectionable in them. Or my wife's. Take care.

Edited by Navidad
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Tacenda said:

It's a win-win for sure for those like me that miss the social end. I could still go but I sometimes feel like those that know of my faith issues may think I'm a sheep in wolves clothing. If we had an open door to a faith non believer that misses the social end of the LDS participation and service opportunities I would feel less like a suspect and more like just a friend to all that would have me. 

It may not be far off. We had the sister missionaries over for dinner and they said they use the word “friend” now instead of “investigator.”

Link to comment
45 minutes ago, Navidad said:

 It isn't that hard! 😄 

A non-member teaching temple Doctrine, to LDS folks, because after all it's not all that hard?

And you publish your SACRAMENT talks? Why would you do that?

And you are complaining because leadership finally stopped it.

I have nothing more to say.

Link to comment
39 minutes ago, Peacefully said:

It may not be far off. We had the sister missionaries over for dinner and they said they use the word “friend” now instead of “investigator.”

I understand this is official now.

Link to comment
44 minutes ago, mfbukowski said:

A non-member teaching temple Doctrine, to LDS folks, because after all it's not all that hard?

And you publish your SACRAMENT talks? Why would you do that?

And you are complaining because leadership finally stopped it.

I have nothing more to say.

Oh my! I never published my sacrament talks! You are so readily inclined to think the worst of me! I simply have copies of them on my computer which I printed and read from when I gave my talks.  I believe I posted a part of one on this forum one time at a forum member's request. The bishop always read them in advance, so we gave them with his approval. I don't believe he ever changed a word. The Stake President was aware. The Area Presidency was aware and even one was once in attendance on Sunday morning presiding when my wife took her turn at providing a talk. When she was done, he hugged her.
Have I ever suggested that a non-member should teach temple Doctrine? Methinks you go to the extreme too often with me. That must be a fallacy of some sort, no? Since when is Temple Doctrine taught in Sacrament service? I must have missed that Sunday. Oh, and even if I was regularly given a turn at speaking in Sacrament, in a ward of our size (small) I would have given a talk once a year! Subbing in a Sunday School Class. Yes, I did that, so did my wife. I taught the life of Jeroboam and Rehoboam from I Kings. Not much LDS doctrine in that, is there? It is mostly Old Testament history, is it not? I might ask, who better to teach that than in a small rural ward than one who has studied Old Testament History?

Sacrament talks are devotionals, are they not? As I have said before, we put ourselves under the authority of the bishop in the first two instances. They met with us regularly. The third? There was no opportunity for that to happen prior to his revealing his will regarding us. That was a shame. It would have nice to have gotten to know him better. I wish I could get to know you better, too. And you, me. That would be nice.

If you have nothing more to say about it, neither will I ! Deal?

Edited by Navidad
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Peacefully said:

It may not be far off. We had the sister missionaries over for dinner and they said they use the word “friend” now instead of “investigator.”

I like the word "friend!" That would be good enough for me. There is a lot of trust implied in that term. I like that.

Link to comment
53 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

I suspect that with the prophet not attending that no major changes will be announced. Anything huge would require the presidents presence to ensure the stamp of approval.  Imo. 

I don't know.  I don't think that a major change announced without the president of the church being present means that he hasn't approved it.

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...