Seriously No Politics ×

Tim Ballard

Calm

1 hour ago, bsjkki said:

Not the same. They sent an unnamed statement to a news organization famous for political hit pieces against one of their members who was publicly contemplating a senate run. It has since been reported it came from Doug Anderson. The ‘hit piece’ is what it is. 

Seems very odd. 
Why would the church give this statement to ‘Vice?’

The same reason “unnamed sources” often comment on news stories involving their organization. It lets the organization get a chance to provide clarification on something within a news story instead of doing it after the fact where it is more likely to be missed by those reading the initial story. This is normal journalism.

3 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

Not even remotely similar to this situation in either form or substance.

Also lol

Uhhh read the hearing notes. Law was former first presidency and the hearing at the city council were pretty much a parade of people coming in making negative statements about William law to smear his character. There was very little debate about whether the contents of the paper were truthful or not. 

A few members of the council were secret polygamists.. one guy who came in to testify was Theodore turley ( js next door neighbor) who was married to three sisters. Two of which he had married just a month or so before.   No polygamy here lol. 

36 minutes ago, Diamondhands69 said:

Uhhh read the hearing notes. Law was former first presidency and the hearing at the city council were pretty much a parade of people coming in making negative statements about William law to smear his character. There was very little debate about whether the contents of the paper were truthful or not. 

A few members of the council were secret polygamists.. one guy who came in to testify was Theodore turley ( js next door neighbor) who was married to three sisters. Two of which he had married just a month or so before.   No polygamy here lol. 

That does not make it similar to this situation at all and your elaboration just makes it less similar.

2 hours ago, bsjkki said:

Not the same. They sent an unnamed statement to a news organization famous for political hit pieces against one of their members who was publicly contemplating a senate run. It has since been reported it came from Doug Anderson. The ‘hit piece’ is what it is. 

Seems very odd. 

I suspect Vice contacted the Church with something like "Here's a big story we are about to run, and it involves extensive references to a purported relationship between Tim Ballard and one of the highest-ranking leaders of your organization.  Do you have any comment?"

Various news outlets have since covered this story - including the Deseret News - and the Church hasn't disputed the authenticity of the statement to Vice.  I think we must accept it as legit.

Thanks,

-Smac

On 9/15/2023 at 10:15 PM, Tacenda said:

I hope my brother in law and sister see this news because last year or the year before we were out to dinner and they gushed about Tim Ballard and I was aware of the investigation back then, and I just had to tell them that I thought there was something up about him, and they looked at me like I was crazy.

My wife went and saw Cry of Freedom and was much moved by it.  I sat her down and told her about these recent developments.  She was somewhat troubled, but felt that the movie was worthwhile if for no other reason that raising awareness about child trafficking.

Thanks,

-Smac

9 hours ago, Calm said:

Yep.  I would say the clay was exposed to above the knees at least from what I saw over the years.

From my perspective, two of the biggest indicators to look at when considering a sensationalized story are:

A) How much self-aggrandizement is in view?

B) How much effort has there been at monetization?  The individual using notoriety to make money for himself?

Unfortunately, I think Tim doesn't do well with these metrics.  

Alvin York and Desmond Doss were, in my view, good examples of people who did heroic things, and who thereafter avoided the foregoing pitfalls.

Thanks,

-Smac

4 hours ago, bsjkki said:

Has the church made a comment about an individual member in this way before? 

*For years I have thought the church PR department has made a multitude of missteps. Basically been inept. 

Sort of.  The public statement about Ammon Bundy is a noteworthy example. 

These public statements/rebukes are rare, but not totally unheard of.

Thanks,

-Smac

Has the church made a comment about an individual member in this way before? 

In this way?  It depends on what you mean.  They did make a statement about Julie Rowe. Edit: though that was to be an internal statement to seminary and institute teachers.

Not the same.

Not "the same," no.  But the similarities are there.  See also the Church's statement about Ammon Bundy.

They sent an unnamed statement to a news organization famous for political hit pieces against one of their members who was publicly contemplating a senate run.

Vice initiated the communication with the Church, and the Church responded to the inquiry.  I think Vice was going to go ahead with the story regardless of whether the Church provided a statement or not.

The timing of the story may well have political considerations, but that's on Vice, not the Church.

Seems very odd. 

It's right there in the article:

In response to a detailed request for comment on these matters, a spokesperson for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints sent a statement, which reads, in full...

Thanks,

-Smac

24 minutes ago, smac97 said:

The stuff about working with a psychic could be altogether false, and yet the Church's statement about Ballard could still be appropriate. 

Yep.  The statement is less about Tim Ballard per se and more about things he has said and done to imply that he has a working relationship with and/or the endorsement of Pres. Ballard.  In a sense, the statement is more about Pres. Ballard than about Tim Ballard.

For me, the most probative evidence pertains to or derives from a few things:

A) The Church's statement is a remarkably unusual and rare occurrence.  And apparently it was directed to Vice (not posted in the Church's Newsroom), from which I extrapolate that Vice contacted the Church looking for a statement, and there was enough meat on the bones (regarding Tim's claimed association/relationship with Pres. Ballard) that the Church was essentially compelled to respond.  

B) I think Pres. Ballard was directly involved in the statement to Vice.  But for his participation and authorization, I think the Church's Public Affairs Department would not have been issued.

C) Let's take a look at the statement from the Church (which, at this point, seems to be fully authentic) :

Notice the focus here is on Pres. Ballard and the (now severed) relationship with Tim.

I think this information could only have come from Pres. Ballard.

This is a fairly rare, but not totally unheard of, public statement from the Church about one of its members.  It is rare for the Church to publicly "call out" an individual member by name, or for it to use such forceful and condemnatory terms ("betrayed their friendship" ... "through the unauthorized use of President Ballard’s name for Tim Ballard’s personal advantage" ... "activity regarded as morally unacceptable").

Here, I think, is the basis for the public rebuke.  The Church has had plenty of instances of having this or that member of the Church beeing in the public limelight specifically pertaining to his/her membership in the Church.  John Dehlin, Kate Kelly, Sam Young, Julie Rowe, Denver Snuffer, Ammon Bundy, Jeremy Runnells, Paul Adams, and a few others come to mind.  And some of these actually triggered a response from the Church:

I think the Church's statement about Tim is particularly specific and forceful because he apparently traded on his association with a high-ranking leader of the Church, and because the Vice article truly merited a statement from the Church.

Of the above public statements about individual members, I think the one about Ammon Bundy comes the closes to a public and direct rebuke.

I think it is this impression, that the Church has "endorsed, supported or represented OUR, Tim Ballard or any projects associated with them," that the Church attributes to Tim, and which impression the Church needed to address and rebut.

I think this is a good way to conclude the statement.

Thanks,

-Smac

And except for Ammon Bundy, they’re all apostates, correct? They just called a high profile member of the church ‘morally unacceptable.’ That’s a large scarlet letter. I think a general statement of non affiliation would have been enough. 

They’ve destroyed him…maybe deserved but ‘wow.’

Edited by bsjkki
9 minutes ago, Calm said:

They asked?

It’s like the National Enquirer. I’m sure they ignore many requests from media about the thieves, child abusers and apostates in the church. They must have wanted to damage him. Because this was much more than a non affiliation statement. 

41 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

And except for Ammon Bundy, they’re all apostates, correct?

IIRC, Dehlin, Kelly, Young, Rowe and Snuffer were all excommunicated for apostasy.

However, Jeremy Runnells resigned his membership, Paul Adams was excommunicated for, I believe, sexual misconduct, and Ammon Bundy is, AFAIK, still a member. 

They just called a high profile member of the church ‘morally unacceptable.’

Well, no:

Once it became clear Tim Ballard had betrayed their friendship, through the unauthorized use of President Ballard’s name for Tim Ballard’s personal advantage and activity regarded as morally unacceptable, President Ballard withdrew his association.

The Church did not elucidate what the "morally unacceptable" behavior was.

That’s a large scarlet letter. I think a general statement of non affiliation would have been enough.

Well, that's a judgment call, I suppose.

They’ve destroyed him…maybe deserved but ‘wow.’

Looks like he may have been the author of much/most of his challenges, which apparently arose out of Tim misappropriating his relationship with and the name of Pres. Ballard "for Tim Ballard’s personal advantage and activity regarded as morally unacceptable."

As for what has been "destroyed," I think the important things are still readily available to Tim.

Thanks,

-Smac

27 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

They asked?

It’s like the National Enquirer. I’m sure they ignore many requests from media about the thieves, child abusers and apostates in the church. They must have wanted to damage him. Because this was much more than a non affiliation statement. 

I think Vice found some muck to rake.  And it looks like Tim Ballard created much of this muck.

The statement from the Church is more about Pres. Ballard than about Tim Ballard.

Thanks,

-Smac

26 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

I would not be surprised if Elder Ballard is deeply hurt because that is what it sounded like to me.  This may be why it is less clinical than the usual stuff, because it is a personal issue rather than an issue of apostasy, but being Elder Ballard is a church leader and it is his church connection that Tim Ballard was using to promote himself and his business/charity, it is also appropriate to use the Church PR department to issue the statement rather than it come directly from Elder Ballard.

1 hour ago, smac97 said:

I suspect Vice contacted the Church with something like "Here's a big story we are about to run, and it involves extensive references to a purported relationship between Tim Ballard and one of the highest-ranking leaders of your organization.  Do you have any comment?"

Various news outlets have since covered this story - including the Deseret News - and the Church hasn't disputed the authenticity of the statement to Vice.  I think we must accept it as legit.

Thanks,

-Smac

Glenn Beck says he reached out to his church connections and confirmed its authenticity.

Given Ballard’s connection to certain Heartland groups which hint at if not outright claim church leaders are being misled and Beck’s own response, I am concerned this could add to the lack of actual trust in church leaders that showed so clearly in the reactions to church leaders supporting vaccines and other Covid control measures.

https://juvenileinstructor.org/the-mormonisms-of-the-firm-foundation/

Last week, people flocked to Layton, UT, for the 29th annual Book of Mormon Evidence conference, hosted by the FIRM Foundation. Headline speakers included Heartland apologist Rod Meldrum, Wayne May, publisher of Ancient American Magazine (a publication with historic connections to the American Nazi Party), Eric Moutsos, an activist who became known in the state for his stance against pandemic restrictions, Hannah Stoddard of the Joseph Smith Foundation, and Tim Ballard, the Executive Director of OUR Rescue.

Edited by Calm
20 minutes ago, smac97 said:

I suspect you are correct.  I think this is likely because the misconduct committed by "thieves, child abusers and apostates in the church" does not involve allegations that a high-ranking leader of the Church has participated in or endorsed the misconduct.  Here, however, Tim Ballard appears to have involved Pres. Ballard in some of his (Tim's) dealings/behaviors in some very problematic ways.  

Again, I think the Church's statement is more about Pres. Ballard than about Tim.

I think the Brethren deserve more of a benefit of the doubt than that.  The rarity of the public rebuke is, I think, evidence that their motives hew overwhelmingly toward safeguarding the privacy of individual members, even when misconduct is alleged.  But sometimes a member puts himself in the public sphere in such a way as to necessitate a public response from the Church.  I have already given a few examples of this.  Ammon Bundy.  John Dehlin.  Sam Young.

Thanks,

-Smac

I’ve never seen Sound of Freedom and wasn’t a fan of Tim Ballard. But it’s weird to me to compare him to apostates actively working against the church. This article was still up Friday. 
I wonder if they spoke to him before destroying him publicly? 

EB7CD5E1-014A-4F77-BBDA-06D0CB77E909.jpeg

5A1A679E-9BED-41AD-9ABD-30EE0B2A5738.jpeg

Edited by bsjkki
24 minutes ago, Calm said:

Glenn Beck says he reached out to his church connections and confirmed its authenticity.

Given Ballard’s connection to certain Heartland groups which hint at if not outright claim church leaders are being misled and Beck’s own response, I am concerned this could add to the lack of actual trust in church leaders that showed so clearly in the reactions to church leaders supporting vaccines and other Covid control measures.

https://juvenileinstructor.org/the-mormonisms-of-the-firm-foundation/

The siftings never come in the way we expect them to.

1 hour ago, The Nehor said:

The siftings never come in the way we expect them to.

If you mean the sifting of ourselves, yes, I agree there.  If you are prepared so much you can recognize a sifting for what it is, I don’t think it is much of a sifting for you.  So it makes sense a true personal sifting is unexpected.

However, others may see it coming and I think many have for those who have seen the dangers for those who followed with faithful intentions certain Heartlander and/or American centric groups within the Church.  

Edited by Calm

I was told two of the children had been trafficked for the first time that day. It didn’t seem to occur to anyone that OUR may have created a demand. After the sting, I asked people on the jump team where the 26 kids were taken. I was given only vague answers. Aftercare wasn’t really their focus, I was told, but they partnered with people who did it well.

I found out what really happened from a Foreign Policy report:

In 2014, after OUR’s first operation in the Dominican Republic, a local organization called the National Council for Children and Adolescents quickly discovered it didn’t have the capacity to handle the 26 girls rescued. They were released in less than a week.

Some testified, the article reported. The local organization lost track of others. All those kids in 2014 got from us was a soda and a swim—and Ballard came out ahead in the deal.

A representative for Operation Underground Railroad said, “O.U.R. remains laser focused on our mission to help rescue and protect victims of child sex trafficking and exploitation, bring their perpetrators to justice, provide survivors with life-saving aftercare services, and raise awareness of this worldwide scourge.”

It doesn’t say what happened to the 8 arrested, but I have read other cases where the arrested are just released.

The after-care services seem to end as soon as they turn the cameras off.  It seems very strange to me with all the money OUR has gotten, they have not set up at least a tracking system with the kids so even if they leave the kids in others’ hands, they can step in if there are issues and provide follow up care when needed.  It would require a lot of work, but if the real intent is to change kids’ lives, why not do it?  It is very irresponsible to do it like they do.  And lazy. (From Nehor’s link)

Edited by Calm