Seriously No Politics ×

Moral hazard of censoring Dehlins' sexual assault, sexist compensation practices, and affairs.

The consequence of censoring anything critical of Dehlin, is that there will be be no constraints on his behavior.

He already has an army of "John helped me during my faith crisis...therefore, I'm going to “@&$” him no matter what he's credibly accused of." Knee jerk defense.

It's pretty well known that exmormonism is misogynistic and more patriarchal than LDS leaders. By deleting all critical posts, you are abetting the silencing of his female accusers.

John, I just helped you fundraise, I'd like a cut of OSF revenue.

Edited by Hamilton Porter
Language
3 hours ago, Jaydes said:

This forum is pro dehlin?

Not that I am aware of.  You can’t link to his stuff because the mods don’t want to provide free advertising for it***, but I believe you can link to stuff that criticizes him.  I have posted material from dearJohnDehlin (it is useful for quoting him) iirc.

***I can’t remember why, but I think it was because he would drop by to post a thread advertising his stuff, but not bother to stay for the discussion and that is against board rules.  He was doing that a lot for awhile iirc.

Edited by Calm
37 minutes ago, Pyreaux said:

So even negative publicity is more publicity than we wish to give? Do we censor his name? Give him the Voldemort treatment? "You know who?"

Rosebud

I am pretty sure the only thing not allowed unless things have changed are links to his site. 

3 hours ago, Calm said:

You can’t link to his stuff because the mods don’t want to provide free advertising for it

After googling his merchandise, I think that's a side to Voldemort that I never picked up on until now.  I understand Harry Potter a lot better now.

mqdefault.jpg

33 minutes ago, jkwilliams said:

And this broad condemnation of a huge group of disparate people is just stupid:

11 hours ago, Hamilton Porter said:

It's pretty well known that exmormonism is misogynistic and more patriarchal than LDS leaders.

Not a broad condemnation. Just a summary and general observation of two communities. 

Source: Kate Kelly 

4 minutes ago, Hamilton Porter said:

Not a broad condemnation. Just a summary and general observation of two communities. 

Source: Kate Kelly 

What was that quote by a general authority or prophet? If the church can't be researched for truth, it needs to be researched? I need to find it dang it!

2 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

What was that quote by a general authority or prophet? If the church can't be researched for truth, it needs to be researched? I need to find it dang it!

Reuben J. Clark

12 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

Good research for truth is one thing.  But promoting and supporting someone who makes a living by putting down the church is another.  If I buy anti-Mormon books, I always get them at used book stores for that very reason (except for those that were given to me by people who want me to leave the church, that happens occasionally too.)

33 minutes ago, Hamilton Porter said:

Reuben J. Clark

Thank you! "If we have the truth, it cannot be harmed by investigation. If we have not the truth, it ought to be harmed." 

19 minutes ago, InCognitus said:

Good research for truth is one thing.  But promoting and supporting someone who makes a living by putting down the church is another.  If I buy anti-Mormon books, I always get them at used book stores for that very reason (except for those that were given to me by people who want me to leave the church, that happens occasionally too.)

I'm not supportive of John Dehlin, just get comfort from some interviews in the past and some in the present such as Patrick Mason's etc. just because it helped me feel like I wasn't going nuts.

43 minutes ago, InCognitus said:

There are tons of books on "Mormonism" today from the best sources, especially Oxford. Going on YouTube is for rednecks.

46 minutes ago, InCognitus said:

If I buy anti-Mormon books, I always get them at used book stores for that very reason (except for those that were given to me by people who want me to leave the church, that happens occasionally too.)

What anti-Mormon book is worth buying? The only one I've ever bought was New Mormon Challenge.

Cone to think of it, there was a sister from my mission I'm rather close to who left. She told me some sensational story about one of Joseph Smith's wives and burning the letter.

I went to read the account of that wife, available on Brian Hale's website, and it was nothing like how she described.

3 hours ago, Hamilton Porter said:

She told me some sensational story about one of Joseph Smith's wives and burning the letter.

I went to read the account of that wife, available on Brian Hale's website, and it was nothing like how she described.

That is pretty common in anti literature.   Or that the quote could be interpreted in a way that doesn't impinge on faith as well as the anti one.   IME, often the anti citation doesn't even lead to the claim itself (if there is even a citation).

20 minutes ago, rpn said:

That is pretty common in anti literature.   Or that the quote could be interpreted in a way that doesn't impinge on faith as well as the anti one.   IME, often the anti citation doesn't even lead to the claim itself (if there is even a citation).

She found the quote online by someone who claimed to be descended from Joseph Smith's wife.

In any case, even if Joseph Smith was being abusive, he's nowhere near John Dehlin bad.

Edited by Hamilton Porter
15 hours ago, Hamilton Porter said:

The consequence of censoring anything critical of Dehlin, is that there will be be no constraints on his behavior.

He already has an army of "John helped me during my faith crisis...therefore, I'm going to “@&$” him no matter what he's credibly accused of." Knee jerk defense.

It's pretty well known that exmormonism is misogynistic and more patriarchal than LDS leaders. By deleting all critical posts, you are abetting the silencing of his female accusers.

John, I just helped you fundraise, I'd like a cut of OSF revenue.

You seem pretty hung about about Dehlin.