Seriously No Politics ×

Group Denigrating Catholics Invited by LA Dodgers to "Pride Night"

45 minutes ago, rodheadlee said:

MAGA has nothing to do with it. If they dis the Virgin Mary at the game, in the stands, there will be repercussions by local Latinos. 

Weak protests and a sternly worded letter maybe. Something that could be described as a fire? I’ll believe it when I see it.

46 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

You do realize the difference right?

The difference between mocking an actual organization that was actively oppressing you and just punching down at random minorities?

Also this was a political thread starting with the OP. Smac knew exactly what would happen when he started this thread.

I thought he was always defending, never attacking.

I find this whole thread shocking and somewhat disappointing. People are really still paying money to attend professional baseball games?

Seriously!?! How is that still a thing? Baseball has got to be one of the few sports that's even more boring to watch than soccer. ;)

49 minutes ago, Amulek said:

I find this whole thread shocking and somewhat disappointing. People are really still paying money to attend professional baseball games?

Seriously!?! How is that still a thing? Baseball has got to be one of the few sports that's even more boring to watch than soccer. ;)

I have it on good authority the sport will finally die after Vulcans start playing it.

I like how what cyberpunk future had baseball evolve. They would upload the stats and skills of historical players into the wetware of people’s minds so you could pit historical players against each other. Then you took the programming out after the game.

17 hours ago, california boy said:

Any outrage on how the Catholic Church has mocked the LGBT community?  Any outrage on how the right wing has vilified drag queens?  

The Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence has been ministering to the LGBT community for the past 43 years and started out to help those suffering with AIDS when there was noting but condemnation coming from the Catholic Church or any other church for that matter.  They have raised over a million dollars to help those who needed help when no one else was willing to step in.  They found how to serve God in their own way and really don't care whether you or others condemn them for the work they do.  From their response to the Dodger management.  From their response to Dodger management

This small group of less than 1,000 people have raised over a million dollars to minister to those suffering and in need of care.  If the Church provided that kind of care to the poor, it wouldn't have a 100 billion dollar stock portfolio.  It would be following the example of the Savior.

So start yet one more thread to stir up outrage against the LGBT community and lets see how much you can gin up anger against them.  As far as I am concerned, the Church could learn a few things from this group of misfits.  Maybe Dodger managements were willing to look a little deeper than the loud roar of the religious right to see that there is more to them then just being outrageous drag queens.

It never ceases to amaze me what disgusting behaviors people will justify.

It took 1 thousand people to raise a total of 1 million dollars over  43 year period.

That's 1 thousand dollars per fund raiser, and it took them 43 years to do it.

Embarrassingly small.  One thousand per person.  43 years.

Maybe they should be nice to people.

This is not a thread I am going to spend a lot of time commenting on.  I already know how most of you feel about anything the LGBT community does.  We certainly have had a LOT of LGBT threads trying to gin up hatred and outrage towards the LGBT community.   I am sure SMAC will get exactly what he wanted out of this yet another LGBT thread.  Personally I am bored with his antics.

I don't agree with everything the Daughters of Perpetual Indulgence does.  And I am not going to defend everything that they do.  But I do UNDERSTAND why they do it.  I have talked to a few members of that community.  They have found a "tribe" that they identify with. When I asked them why they joined this group, every single one that I have talked to tell of horror stories about how the Catholic Church treated them as well as other religious organizations including the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  It is a story repeated over and over and over again.  So I am not totally surprised that they invented their own incarnation of the Catholic Church, one that provides services to those that are the most vulnerable but do it with their own spin on religion.  They are pretty clear they are not concerned at all what the opinion of the Catholic Church has of them and those other religions.  That bridge has been burned a long time ago.  Are they outrageous?  Yes and a bit over the top.  But given their own personal stories on how religion has treated them, one has to seriously ask why they would care one bit what those religious organizations think of them. 

Just now, Calm said:

Perhaps because if someone is hoping for a society to become more tolerant, showing they believe it is okay to mock and ridicule a group that they have conflict with isn’t a good way to convince others tolerance in general is important.

I think the wounds are so deep in those that are part of this group, they don't really care whether others accept them or not.  Not everyone in the LGBT community have a common voice in what they want.  It is probably more about how they are dealing with that pain.

22 minutes ago, california boy said:

It is probably more about how they are dealing with that pain.

This makes sense to me.  I recently watched “Going Back to T-Town”, which is a documentary about the Tulsa, OK race riot and massacre in 1921.  One of the rather amazing aftermaths of this horrible part of Oklahoma history, is that a lot of these people stayed or returned to Tulsa — there was pain for sure.  But there was also a remarkable determination within the black community to survive and thrive in Tulsa in spite of the visceral hate.  It seems to me they “used” their pain to create something positive.

I was struck by a comment from one of the survivors who was a young married woman at the time:  “I felt sorry for the people who did this.”

I don’t understand how this works exactly.  Is it sublimation?  The Love of God?  Who knows?  But it makes sense to me that there is a lot of pain in the LGBTQ community.  I know there are LGBTQ people who have also used their pain in very good and positive ways.

Edited by Okrahomer
2 hours ago, mfbukowski said:

It took 1 thousand people to raise a total of 1 million dollars over  43 year period.

That's 1 thousand dollars per fund raiser, and it took them 43 years to do it.

Embarrassingly small.  One thousand per person.  43 years.

Maybe they should be nice to people.

Fundraising is not the primary objective of the organization. Their primary objectives are satire and activism and from what I remember pub crawls.

5 hours ago, The Nehor said:

Weak protests and a sternly worded letter maybe. Something that could be described as a fire? I’ll believe it when I see it.

I don't expect a riot but a shiv in the back after the game in the parking lot would not surprise me. 

56 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

Fundraising is not the primary objective of the organization. Their primary objectives are satire and activism and from what I remember pub crawls.

Well it just seemed that those stats kept coming up as if it justified all the "good" they are doing.

I'm about done with this thread 

1 hour ago, Calm said:

They (and anyone else who chooses to use mocking as a form of communication) are running the risk of being accused of being hypocrites if they complain about lack of tolerance though.

THAT'S exactly it.  It's revengeful.

Toodle loo!

Edited by mfbukowski
1 hour ago, mfbukowski said:

Well it just seemed that those stats kept coming up as if it justified all the "good" they are doing.

I'm about done with this thread 

CB mentioned it once.

I think that is it unless you count Smac mentioning it again as justifying their existence but since Smac started the thread to vilify them I don't think that was the intent there.

Emotions run high. How do we reward intolerance with tolerance on either side? There is no side with a moral or just high ground. Religion is not the arbiter of absolute morality. That is a given based on historical analysis. Humanism is equally not the arbiter of absolute morality. How do we come to a level playing field and try to balance our perspectives? Does compassion and love not negate dogmatism and moral absolutism? As a human species we must do better to reach out to one another without the arrogance and narcissism of being more morally correct than those we disagree with. Sincerest apologies for my rant.

17 hours ago, Smiley McGee said:

The Anaheim Angels used to host an anti-LGBTQ group every year at their stadium, even having one their leaders throw the ceremonial first pitch. This group expended significant resources to ensure that homosexual relationships would never be legally recognized. They mocked and profaned homosexual relationships by reducing them to their manner of sexual intercourse and ignoring the joy and happiness that the individuals found in their loving relationships. The invitation to this anti-LGBTQ group made me question “the double standard in how Major League Baseball is seeking to promote inclusivity and be as ‘welcoming to everyone as possible.’”

But if the group you mentioned also does lots of good in the world, shouldn't they still be honored at the stadium?  That seems to be what the discussion here is.

21 minutes ago, Eschaton said:

If I were Catholic I'd be far more upset about this than a drag group cosplaying as Catholic nuns:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/23/us/illinois-catholic-church-sex-abuse.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

This strikes me as a far deeper blasphemy than the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence could ever achieve. 

+100

The one thing I'd add is that Smac97 isn't a Dodgers ticket holder. He's probably never been to a Dodgers game. And he's never directly interacted with the Daughters of Perpetual Indulgence. Apart from the propagandists who want him to be angry and afraid, he's never even heard of them. So why is he so upset that a group he's never heard of has been invited to a baseball game he wasn't going to attend anyway?

The answer is that it serves someone's political agenda for middle-aged white Republicans to be angry. These propagandists carefully curate these stories because they cause people to feel threatened in a primal us-vs.-them way.

And Smac97 is their tool.