Seriously No Politics ×

Joseph Smith smuggled psychedelic mushrooms into sacrament bread?

1 hour ago, Hamilton Porter said:

How else would you explain mass visions in early Mormonism? You never know.

https://akjournals.com/view/journals/2054/3/2/article-p212.xml

Wait until you hear how Joseph Smith the chemist found a proper liquid that he could soak into clothing, which would then smoke and light up at night, making himself into a faked angel so he could appear to others.

https://np.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comments/1ll1wn/joseph_smith_snuck_into_mary_e_rollins_lightners/

7 hours ago, Hamilton Porter said:

How else would you explain mass visions in early Mormonism? You never know.

https://akjournals.com/view/journals/2054/3/2/article-p212.xml

The anti's of the day accused them of at least getting very drunk at the Kirtland Temple dedication if not psychedelics.

18 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

As far as I am aware psychedelic mushrooms don’t usually give shared hallucinations.

You forgot "speaking for a friend." Anyhow, the article lists six different types. Some of them do produce deliriums, I think at least one of them produces hallucinations.

37 minutes ago, blackstrap said:

And I heard that JS was the first to make LSD but was dyslexic and wrote LDS instead . 

3 hours ago, Hamilton Porter said:

You forgot "speaking for a friend." Anyhow, the article lists six different types. Some of them do produce deliriums, I think at least one of them produces hallucinations.

I am not disputing they can cause hallucinations. Shared hallucinations are where it seems unlikely.

Stating this point from the experience of a friend who is not me.

Edited by The Nehor
12 hours ago, The Nehor said:

I am not disputing they can cause hallucinations. Shared hallucinations are where it seems unlikely.

Stating this point from the experience of a friend who is not me.

Set, setting, communicating (such as Joseph and Sidney's back and forth during the revelation of the kingdoms of heaven), and cultural expectations can very easily result in shared hallucinations.

4 minutes ago, the narrator said:

Set, setting, communicating (such as Joseph and Sidney's back and forth during the revelation of the kingdoms of heaven), and cultural expectations can very easily result in shared hallucinations.

Easily 

2 hours ago, Hamilton Porter said:

Easily 

I would think it's hard to guarantee all members will see the same thing. If they did hallucinate the same thing, is that no less extraordinary? are we necessarily rejecting the religious validity of all religious trances and all non-modern Christian means of invoking them, monks in intense meditation or dreams, or a vision quest after 4 days of fasting or ingesting hallucinogenic compounds. A shared dream would catch my attention, why shouldn't a shared hallucination?

2 minutes ago, Pyreaux said:

I would think it's hard to guarantee all members will see the same thing. If they did hallucinate the same thing, is that no less extraordinary? are we necessarily rejecting the religious validity of all religious trances and all non-modern Christian means of invoking them, monks in intense meditation or dreams, or a vision quest after 4 days of fasting or ingesting hallucinogenic compounds. A shared dream would catch my attention, why shouldn't a shared hallucination?

In mass visions people don't always see that same thing. In Fatima, some saw the sun spinning as a disk and saw the sky in fluorescent colors, some only saw the fluorescent sky, some saw nothing at all. When Brigham spoke in Joseph's voice to the Saints, not everyone heard it.

On 5/11/2023 at 1:23 PM, helix said:

Wait until you hear how Joseph Smith the chemist found a proper liquid that he could soak into clothing, which would then smoke and light up at night, making himself into a faked angel so he could appear to others.

https://np.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comments/1ll1wn/joseph_smith_snuck_into_mary_e_rollins_lightners/

Holy smokes - I can't believe that people who think I am dumb for believing in the restoration, don't think the same about believing Joseph painted himself in phosphorous and pretended to be an angel on multiple occasions!  Man - he was really really dedicated to his illusions.

Edited to add - I had never heard this accusation before - sheesh.

Edited by Maestrophil
5 hours ago, the narrator said:

Have you ever been around people on psychedelics? That is not how it generally works.

On 5/12/2023 at 5:10 PM, The Nehor said:

Have you ever been around people on psychedelics? That is not how it generally works.

Yes, and communicating during the experience can very much result in shared experiences. This does not necessarily mean the exact same or identical experiences; however, the fact is that for most "shared" visionary experiences in the Restoration, the initial accounts are quite generic and isolated. It isn't until later--after communicated and sharing experiences--that the recollections of the experiences become more specific and identical. I imagine that communication during an experience shapes that experience for persons in the same way that communicating after an event shapes the memories of those individuals.

[I used "experience" far too many times. I will now strike that term from my vocabulary for the next week.]