Seriously No Politics ×

US NEWS: Utah the best state in union.

12 hours ago, Hamilton Porter said:

Depends on what you want in a state.  My husband probably agrees.  For me Utah is missing an ocean beach, so can never be the best state.  For my daughter, it is way too conservative.  For both of us, the heat drops it to the low side of best of state.

Edited by Calm
55 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

I actually love Utah, I appreciate it more and more the older I get.

I love the people of Utah…well, most of them I have met. I don’t like brown and I don’t like heat. Environment was better for me up in Canada. I wish I could live in Calgary with the people of my neighborhood along with me. 

6 hours ago, Calm said:

I love the people of Utah…well, most of them I have met. I don’t like brown and I don’t like heat. Environment was better for me up in Canada. I wish I could live in Calgary with the people of my neighborhood along with me. 

I only know Utah, as I've lived here my entire life. I've always thought it would be nice to know what it's like to live somewhere else but now I'm just happy to visit places and glad to be home when I do. But I've not really experienced Canada! I think I'd love that except for the extreme cold. 

I get what you say when you say all brown, but sometimes I feel like I'm looking at the mountains and how green and lush they are it feels like we're on a tropical island, funnily. Or it was last year, not so much now, but currently, it looks like the Swiss Alps, that I've never seen in person, lol. 

But winter time and inversion and very poor air quality isn't fun. But I guess it's not boring and we can appreciate the good weather especially after the terrible. :)

I'm not sure we're that friendly in Utah, at least compared to North Carolina from what my friends who have traveled there say. 

Edited by Tacenda
2 hours ago, Tacenda said:

I'm not sure we're that friendly in Utah, at least compared to North Carolina from what my friends who have traveled there say. 

I think it depends on the neighborhood. I have been in places no one talks to their neighbors and then places like ours where the kids next door came over and asked if we wanted to see a play on the day we moved in.  Now they are all adults and moved out, sniff.

Edited by Calm
2 hours ago, Hamilton Porter said:

I don't live in Utah but I don't want the LDS to lose their political majority. Perhaps now it's time to start encouraging immigration from other areas of church strength.

H E double toothpicks NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

1 hour ago, Hamilton Porter said:

Are you xenophobic? Do you not want Mexicans and Brazilians immigrating?

No, I'm just seeing so many people moving from California etc and it drives up the home prices. It's not fair for the younger generation that are unable to afford homes like we did, unless you're younger than I'm thinking. My son-in-law is a Mexican and I really love the culture, very family oriented. My son is dating someone from Ecuador who saved her money to be able to be a nanny in the US and go to school, she's amazing too. So I'm not against these migrants, lol. 

Edited by Tacenda
On 5/3/2023 at 10:17 PM, Tacenda said:

I actually love Utah, I appreciate it more and more the older I get.

Yes, your earlier comment sounded a bit like someone trying to keep the riff-raff out of your neighborhood! 

But don't worry about me. Unless my wife twists my arm really hard, I will not ever choose to live in Utah. Been there, done that, left the T-shirt behind. 

Not to say that I don't enjoy visiting Utah! It's a lovely state, but I'm satisfied with the occasional visit.

On 5/4/2023 at 4:20 PM, Hamilton Porter said:

Are you xenophobic? Do you not want Mexicans and Brazilians immigrating?

No, silly, @Tacenda just wants to keep the state from overpopulating and driving up prices.

What's up with the xenophobia comment, however? Where'd that come from?

On 5/4/2023 at 12:27 PM, Hamilton Porter said:

I don't live in Utah but I don't want the LDS to lose their political majority. Perhaps now it's time to start encouraging immigration from other areas of church strength.

If you feel strongly about this, perhaps you should put your money where your mouth is and move there yourself. 

5 minutes ago, Stargazer said:

If you feel strongly about this, perhaps you should put your money where your mouth is and move there yourself. 

I will when I retire. Right now, I have dreams.

On 5/4/2023 at 5:51 AM, Tacenda said:

I only know Utah, as I've lived here my entire life. I've always thought it would be nice to know what it's like to live somewhere else but now I'm just happy to visit places and glad to be home when I do. But I've not really experienced Canada! I think I'd love that except for the extreme cold. 

Yes, some parts of Canada get really cold (Yukon, etc), but I can tell you (having lived in southern Ontario for a time), that the weather in southern Canada is pretty reasonable. If you've ever been to Seattle, Washington, you'd find that the weather in Victoria, BC and Vancouver, BC to be very similar. 

And I've been to Utah in the winter -- it is NOT warm and cozy. 

On 5/4/2023 at 5:51 AM, Tacenda said:

I get what you say when you say all brown, but sometimes I feel like I'm looking at the mountains and how green and lush they are it feels like we're on a tropical island, funnily. Or it was last year, not so much now, but currently, it looks like the Swiss Alps, that I've never seen in person, lol. 

But winter time and inversion and very poor air quality isn't fun. But I guess it's not boring and we can appreciate the good weather especially after the terrible. :)

The few times I've stayed in Utah for extended periods, I rather liked it. In the spring it is gorgeous! And the summer, too, but it gets a bit too hot for my tastes.

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/9/2023 at 10:16 PM, sunstoned said:

I loved Utah more twenty years ago. It is becoming way too crowed. 

Amen to that. 

We've only been here 10 years but we are looking to leave.  It's becoming way to crowded.  And angry.  There are places I would love to go but I don't want to deal with aggressively rude people (especially in vehicles or razors).  I'm pretty sure I've been up Farmington Canyon for the last time because Utahns in all terrain motorized vehicles are horrible to deal with.  I've never lived in a state like it.

6 hours ago, bluebell said:

Amen to that. 

We've only been here 10 years but we are looking to leave.  It's becoming way to crowded.  And angry.  There are places I would love to go but I don't want to deal with aggressively rude people (especially in vehicles or razors).  I'm pretty sure I've been up Farmington Canyon for the last time because Utahns in all terrain motorized vehicles are horrible to deal with.  I've never lived in a state like it.

The highways are becoming scary.  It seems the aggression level has amped up considerably in the last few years. 

15 hours ago, bluebell said:

Amen to that. 

I'm home bred here, never lived outside it and I wish every day I could move to a place with no people. Did you see the apartments being built north across the street from the new Layton hospital? I live down the Layton Parkway road and I just don't know how we're able to sustain all the people coming in. I guess there's still space but people can't make a living in those rural towns. 

I bet you long for Wyoming, heck I long for Wyoming, if my husband would agree. Or Montana, or Canada, haha!

ETA: Farmington Canyon, the older I get I have panic attacks going up that canyon and looking down at the cars that went off the road down at the bottom. 

Also, I'm sorry about your son's rollover, thankful he's okay. 

Edited by Tacenda
20 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

I'm home bred here, never lived outside it and I wish every day I could move to a place with no people. Did you see the apartments being built north across the street from the new Layton hospital? I live down the Layton Parkway road and I just don't know how we're able to sustain all the people coming in. I guess there's still space but people can't make a living in those rural towns. 

I bet you long for Wyoming, heck I long for Wyoming, if my husband would agree. Or Montana, or Canada, haha!

ETA: Farmington Canyon, the older I get I have panic attacks going up that canyon and looking down at the cars that went off the road down at the bottom. 

Also, I'm sorry about your son's rollover, thankful he's okay. 

Thank you Tacenda.  :wub:

I do long for Wyoming or Montana, so much sometimes but never more than in the summer.  Utah is wonderful in many ways, and it really sucks in a lot of ways too.  

I did see those apartments and it's insane!  I live off of 193 and we have more apartments going in over here across from the neighborhood walmart as well.  They are building houses everywhere and all the influx of people and crowding is making people kind of jerks.

2 minutes ago, bluebell said:

Thank you Tacenda.  :wub:

I do long for Wyoming or Montana, so much sometimes but never more than in the summer.  Utah is wonderful in many ways, and it really sucks in a lot of ways too.  

I did see those apartments and it's insane!  I live off of 193 and we have more apartments going in over here across from the neighborhood walmart as well.  They are building houses everywhere and all the influx of people and crowding is making people kind of jerks.

I do love Utah's nature and scenic wonderland, I've yet to see more than half of it. The other day I was grocery shopping and it seems people are different nowadays, and it feels like it's a dog eat dog world now. The crowding isn't good, and wish there was more foresight being done in cities authorizing the building influx. I understand we need low income properties but some of these properties are so tightly fitted in that it's no way to live. My sister lives nearby 193 too.