Jump to content
Seriously No Politics ×

Another study on alcohol


Recommended Posts

20 hours ago, Pyreaux said:

Alright, fine, let's all trust the government.

I've discovered a secret work-around with the internet.  In any google search, just add the word "conspiracy", and then you have much higher quality results and can finally read the truth.    "Health risks of lactose" becomes "Health risks of lactose conspiracy", stuff like that. 

 

2 hours ago, The Nehor said:

I love that what we should be eating and drinking is still pretty much an unsolved problem.

Heh.  I love that we continue to raise new crops of humans that keep discovering new problems that aren't really problems.

life-expectancy-united-states-all-time.j

Link to comment
On 3/31/2023 at 10:38 PM, Calm said:

I can’t eat chocolate…which was not that big of a deal since a lot of American chocolate is horrendous.  Got spoiled in Russia (German chocolate) and Canadian isn’t as good as German, but better than American.

Why do you think American chocolate is horrendous?

For many years I have been leery of the waxy appearance/taste.  It seems to vary among brands.  Does anyone know which ingredient it is that makes it waxy?  I love nutty chocolates and I am partial to Hershey's nuggets.

Link to comment
18 minutes ago, longview said:

Why do you think American chocolate is horrendous?

The difference between American and European chocolate boils down to 4 variables:

1.  Chocolate
2. Sugar
3. Fat
4. Source
 
Per US regulation, American chocolate must contain at least 11% chocolate.  But the minimum in the EU is 20%.  Because the chocolate percentage is lower in the US, the sugar content is higher — so US chocolate is lighter and sweeter.
 
Fat/Butter are also added to both US and European chocolate; however, European butter and chocolate cream has a higher fat content than the US versions.  Finally, chocolate has a flavor palette that is specific to the place where it’s grown:  US chocolate beans are sourced mostly in South America; but European chocolate is sourced in Africa.
 
And in case you’re wondering why I would even know this?  I Googled it, but my wife and I also went to a store called “Taste” in downtown Provo a few years ago.  We learned all about these things; and the “lesson” was reinforced with various samples from around the world.  It was a fun date.  🤓
Link to comment
35 minutes ago, longview said:

Why do you think American chocolate is horrendous?

For many years I have been leery of the waxy appearance/taste.  It seems to vary among brands.  Does anyone know which ingredient it is that makes it waxy?  I love nutty chocolates and I am partial to Hershey's nuggets.

The quality is extremely poor.  They use cheaper ingredients.  Appearance over substance.  The waxiness is part of it.  They rely more on sugar than quality chocolate as well.

Less cacao, using cheaper fats instead of cocoa butter, using more sugar.

https://www.gourmetboutique.net/blogs/tasting-room/17250043-european-vs-american-chocolate-whats-the-difference

 

Link to comment
10 minutes ago, Okrahomer said:

The difference between American and European chocolate boils down to 4 variables:

1.  Chocolate
2. Sugar
3. Fat
4. Source
 
Per US regulation, American chocolate must contain at least 11% chocolate.  But the minimum in the EU is 20%.  Because the chocolate percentage is lower in the US, the sugar content is higher — so US chocolate is lighter and sweeter.
 
Fat/Butter are also added to both US and European chocolate; however, European butter and chocolate cream has a higher fat content than the US versions.  Finally, chocolate has a flavor palette that is specific to the place where it’s grown:  US chocolate beans are sourced mostly in South America; but European chocolate is sourced in Africa.
 
And in case you’re wondering why I would even know this?  I Googled it, but my wife and I also went to a store called “Taste” in downtown Provo a few years ago.  We learned all about these things; and the “lesson” was reinforced with various samples from around the world.  It was a fun date.  🤓

Sounds like fun.  I wonder if it is still there…..Found it.  Pity I can’t eat chocolate any more.  Will see if my daughter would like to though.

Edited by Calm
Link to comment
1 minute ago, Calm said:

Sounds like fun.  I wonder if it is still there.

I think it’s still open for business — it was still there just before Christmas.  It’s located very close to Club Velour.  Their main “thing” these days is High Tea.  We didn’t do that, but it looked yummy.

Link to comment
1 minute ago, Okrahomer said:

I think it’s still open for business — it was still there just before Christmas.  It’s located very close to Club Velour.  Their main “thing” these days is High Tea.  We didn’t do that, but it looked yummy.

I might do High Tea with my grandkids. Worth the risk of a few dizzy days (my Meniere’s has me low salt, but I have no clue if overdoing it one meal will trigger it).

Link to comment

I'm so sorry to derail, but I need some advice. My husband had double hernia repair using mesh about 6 days ago and he's in pain still. Does anyone have any experience with this, I'm super worried that the mesh is counteracting to his body and it's like horrible to take it out and then have to rebuild the abdominal area. I just need some relief in knowing that his pain is normal. He called the doctor yesterday and spoke with his nurse and she acted like it's no problem, maybe pain from his stomach being blown up like a balloon. It was done with robotics, the surgery. He said he might need me to take him to the ER.

Edited by Tacenda
Link to comment
17 minutes ago, Calm said:

I might do High Tea with my grandkids. Worth the risk of a few dizzy days (my Meniere’s has me low salt, but I have no clue if overdoing it one meal will trigger it).

When I say it “looked” yummy, I mean it looked a LOT like the High Tea service we had at Buchert Gardens in Victoria, B.C. — now that was delicious!

Link to comment
1 hour ago, LoudmouthMormon said:

I've discovered a secret work-around with the internet.  In any google search, just add the word "conspiracy", and then you have much higher quality results and can finally read the truth.    "Health risks of lactose" becomes "Health risks of lactose conspiracy", stuff like that. 

 

Heh.  I love that we continue to raise new crops of humans that keep discovering new problems that aren't really problems.

life-expectancy-united-states-all-time.j

If life expectancy is all that matters I’d agree.  We have just become very good at helping people live long chronic disease filled lives.   If we shifted our focus and investment to prevention instead of treatment, we would reduce the enormous economic burden of health care costs associated with treating/living with chronic disease, we would improve quality of life, and improve life expectancy.  I wouldn’t say that none of that matters.

An interesting side note about this graph is that it looks like life expectancy just started to take a dip for only the 3rd time in recorded US history. The first corresponds with the civil war.  The second corresponds with WWI and the Spanish flu pandemic of 1918, and the third dip corresponds with…Covid.  And perhaps we have reached the limits of modern medicine in prolonging life of the chronically ill with polypharmacy.   

 

Edited by pogi
Link to comment
10 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

I'm so sorry to derail, but I need some advice. My husband had double hernia repair using mesh about 6 days ago and he's in pain still. Does anyone have any experience with this, I'm super worried that the mesh is counteracting to his body and it's like horrible to take it out and then have to rebuild the abdominal area. I just need some relief in knowing that his pain is normal. He called the doctor yesterday and spoke with his nurse and she acted like it's no problem, maybe pain from his stomach being blown up like a balloon. It was done with robotics, the surgery. He said he might need me to take him to the ER.

You have insurance?  If so, go to the ER.  Better safe than sorry.  If you don’t, I don’t have a clue about costs and how that is handled, sorry.  You should go talk to your husband if you aren’t aware of all the details.  Do it now in case the pain gets worse.

I am very pro going to the ER.  My dad died because Mom and him thought they could handle the flu at home.  Not saying this is life threatening, just saying money shouldn’t be top concern.

But it does look like pain is pretty common, including chronic pain…so the nurse may be more dismissive than she should be, but it may be nothing as well.  

https://www.drugwatch.com/hernia-mesh/pain/

Link to comment
12 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

My husband had double hernia repair using mesh about 6 days ago and he's in pain still. Does anyone have any experience with this,

I had this surgery a few years ago as well.  I don’t recall how long it took for the pain to subside, but I think it was more than a week. If the pain is really severe, maybe you should contact the surgeon?

This article says the pain can linger for up to 3-months:

Post-operative pain, a type of lingering pain that can last up to three months following surgery, usually improves as mesh-related inflammation subsides. 

Link to comment
31 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

I'm so sorry to derail, but I need some advice. My husband had double hernia repair using mesh about 6 days ago and he's in pain still. Does anyone have any experience with this, I'm super worried that the mesh is counteracting to his body and it's like horrible to take it out and then have to rebuild the abdominal area. I just need some relief in knowing that his pain is normal. He called the doctor yesterday and spoke with his nurse and she acted like it's no problem, maybe pain from his stomach being blown up like a balloon. It was done with robotics, the surgery. He said he might need me to take him to the ER.

Sorry to hear that.  I don’t have much experience in this area but pain certainly is very normal after his procedure, but if your husband thinks it is bad enough to go to the ER, I think it is best to err on the side of caution and follow his intuition.  I can’t really speak to the frequency or likelihood of his body rejecting the mesh.

Link to comment
49 minutes ago, pogi said:

Sorry to hear that.  I don’t have much experience in this area but pain certainly is very normal after his procedure, but if your husband thinks it is bad enough to go to the ER, I think it is best to err on the side of caution and follow his intuition.  I can’t really speak to the frequency or likelihood of his body rejecting the mesh.

 

1 hour ago, Okrahomer said:

I had this surgery a few years ago as well.  I don’t recall how long it took for the pain to subside, but I think it was more than a week. If the pain is really severe, maybe you should contact the surgeon?

This article says the pain can linger for up to 3-months:

Post-operative pain, a type of lingering pain that can last up to three months following surgery, usually improves as mesh-related inflammation subsides. 

 

1 hour ago, Calm said:

You have insurance?  If so, go to the ER.  Better safe than sorry.  If you don’t, I don’t have a clue about costs and how that is handled, sorry.  You should go talk to your husband if you aren’t aware of all the details.  Do it now in case the pain gets worse.

I am very pro going to the ER.  My dad died because Mom and him thought they could handle the flu at home.  Not saying this is life threatening, just saying money shouldn’t be top concern.

But it does look like pain is pretty common, including chronic pain…so the nurse may be more dismissive than she should be, but it may be nothing as well.  

https://www.drugwatch.com/hernia-mesh/pain/

Wow, what great help you three provide, and support. I read through the articles, and shared with my husband. We are real close to the hospital, and he said he'd let me know and I assured him I would take him the minute he tells me. And if not we'll get in touch with the doctor first thing tomorrow.

Link to comment
23 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

 

 

Wow, what great help you three provide, and support. I read through the articles, and shared with my husband. We are real close to the hospital, and he said he'd let me know and I assured him I would take him the minute he tells me. And if not we'll get in touch with the doctor first thing tomorrow.

Why not call the doctor tonight?  You are paying for the on call 24/7 service, use it.

Link to comment
On 4/3/2023 at 11:19 PM, Calm said:

Drink kefir or eat yogurt.

Love kefir, but costs too much. Tried making my own….so-so results.

Link to comment
6 hours ago, LoudmouthMormon said:

I've discovered a secret work-around with the internet.  In any google search, just add the word "conspiracy", and then you have much higher quality results and can finally read the truth.    "Health risks of lactose" becomes "Health risks of lactose conspiracy", stuff like that. 

 

Heh.  I love that we continue to raise new crops of humans that keep discovering new problems that aren't really problems.

life-expectancy-united-states-all-time.j

Yep, it is going to be fun when that dips back down.

Link to comment
1 hour ago, Bernard Gui said:

Love kefir, but costs too much. Tried making my own….so-so results.

I agree. Homemade yogurt is easier, but I still prefer the consistency of storebought.  I should try it again and see what it’s like in smoothies now I am mostly off milk.

Edited by Calm
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Tacenda said:

 

 

Wow, what great help you three provide, and support. I read through the articles, and shared with my husband. We are real close to the hospital, and he said he'd let me know and I assured him I would take him the minute he tells me. And if not we'll get in touch with the doctor first thing tomorrow.

Let us know what happens if possible. I hope all will be well. Will say a prayer for him and you too. :)

Link to comment
16 hours ago, Hamilton Porter said:

Sugars not just as bad as alcohol. It's as bad as cigarettes.

Sugar is pretty bad for us. Alcohol is as well. I do not view it as an either or for me. It is more what I am putting into my mouth and how is it impacting my physical health. Society is quite fine with sugar addicts. Not so much for alcoholics.  But sugar causes all sorts of health issues as well. Is it as bad as alcohol?  I no not know.  It seems based on what I have studied it seems it is pretty bad for us.  And it is not just sugar but pasty white refined carbs that spike our insulin. A boll of cheerios in the morning is really bad for you and your metabolic functions.

Link to comment
20 minutes ago, Teancum said:

Sugar is pretty bad for us. Alcohol is as well. I do not view it as an either or for me. It is more what I am putting into my mouth and how is it impacting my physical health. Society is quite fine with sugar addicts. Not so much for alcoholics.  But sugar causes all sorts of health issues as well. Is it as bad as alcohol?  I no not know.  It seems based on what I have studied it seems it is pretty bad for us.  And it is not just sugar but pasty white refined carbs that spike our insulin. A boll of cheerios in the morning is really bad for you and your metabolic functions.

I think it could be just as bad or worse. When you see alcohol called "spirits" sometimes, that's all I need to see, along with having two brothers that are alcoholics and an aunt. 

Edited by Tacenda
Link to comment
9 hours ago, Bernard Gui said:

Love kefir, but costs too much. Tried making my own….so-so results.

When I first started about three years ago it was all trial and error, but it's been working out great now, and the taste is pretty good, and helps me swallow all my supplements daily, because of the thickness. And especially if I've had to take antibiotics it will put back all the good bacteria. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to help.

Edited by Tacenda
Link to comment
29 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

I think it could be just as bad or worse. When you see alcohol called "spirits" sometimes, that's all I need to see, along with having two brothers that are alcoholics and an aunt. 

Just to be clear I am not advocating at all for alcohol. It is bad for us. Really bad. It is like poison.  Even in moderate amounts. But society accepts it.  And even in more than moderate amounts.  But become alcoholic, will then you are an addict that society likes to shame.  But we do not shame sugar addicts, which far out number alcoholics. And again, for sugar it is not just sugar on your cereal, or in you cakes and pies and donuts, though it is there. It is sugar/carbs in your bread, pasta, crackers, potato chips, yogurt and on and on. as a hobby athlete/cyclist I am really honed in to what i put into my mouth and how it impacts my health.  And it is tough to understand what is best because nutrition studies are controversial and often funded b big food companies.  

 

Link to comment
21 minutes ago, Teancum said:

Just to be clear I am not advocating at all for alcohol. It is bad for us. Really bad. It is like poison.  Even in moderate amounts. But society accepts it.  And even in more than moderate amounts.  But become alcoholic, will then you are an addict that society likes to shame.  But we do not shame sugar addicts, which far out number alcoholics. And again, for sugar it is not just sugar on your cereal, or in you cakes and pies and donuts, though it is there. It is sugar/carbs in your bread, pasta, crackers, potato chips, yogurt and on and on. as a hobby athlete/cyclist I am really honed in to what i put into my mouth and how it impacts my health.  And it is tough to understand what is best because nutrition studies are controversial and often funded b big food companies.  

 

Spot on about the shaming, and think it causes a viscous cycle when denying ourselves something and feeling ashamed. We're figuring out so much now with my husband's diverticulosis and prediabetes. I now read ingredients religiously. But hopefullly I don't go overboard, and work on a happy medium.  

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...