Seriously No Politics ×

Ponder who these people are.

Mathete

The “poor in spirit” and the “meek”

My understanding is that 5:3 refers to humility in the context of one’s relationship with God. 5:5 refers to a gentle, kind, non reactive personality (I assume in the context of relationships with one’s neighbor. ) In my mind, it’s hard to have one without the other.  But yes, it looks as though the Savior is credited for identifying these qualities as two separate things. 

I need to work on both. I am successful at times. 

Edited by MustardSeed
51 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

The “poor in spirit” and the “meek”

My understanding is that 5:3 refers to humility in the context of one’s relationship with God. 5:5 refers to a gentle, kind, non reactive personality (I assume in the context of relationships with one’s neighbor. ) In my mind, it’s hard to have one without the other.  But yes, it looks as though the Savior is credited for identifying these qualities as two separate things. 

I need to work on both. I am successful at times. 

A hint if your inspired to study the Word, they are the same people referred to as a treasure, and those referred to as a pearl in Matthew 13:44-46

26 minutes ago, Mathete said:

A hint if your inspired to study the Word, they are the same people referred to as a treasure, and those referred to as a pearl in Matthew 13:44-46

Hmm. I thought he was simply saying "again" using two examples of sacrificing all for the same heavenly reward, the gnosis, I have not noticed a real difference between the two.

34 minutes ago, Mathete said:

Thank you - Works for me if that’s how He meant it. :)   As far as what’s important here, I’m comfortable with the directives to be humble and to be slow to anger .  I see them as two different things, both good.  IMO the discrepancies between heavenly rewards are irrelevant in this life, where on earth the benefits to both  in relationships that abound from emotional maturity can be motivating.  

5 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

Thank you - Works for me if that’s how He meant it. :)   As far as what’s important here, I’m comfortable with the directives to be humble and to be slow to anger .  I see them as two different things, both good.  IMO the discrepancies between heavenly rewards are irrelevant in this life, where on earth the benefits to both  in relationships that abound from emotional maturity can be motivating.  

They are actually not discrepancies, He is teaching a deeper message. Proverbs 25:2 2 It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter.

20 minutes ago, Mathete said:

They are actually not discrepancies, He is teaching a deeper message. Proverbs 25:2 2 It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter.

I’ll have to search some more on it then. Sounds like you have already gathered the good stuff.