Seriously No Politics ×

Giving ChatGPT the "write the BoM challenge"

I wish I could say this was my idea, but someone beat me to it.  Pretty cool though.

Request:

Write a book with a minimum of 250,000 words about a society which spans 1,000 year history. The culture, politics, and religion must gradually alter with generations of main characters being replaced with successive generations over time. The culture & history must include scientific advancements, interactions with deity, archaeological discoveries, wars between nations, political structure, and a unique monetary system which is based in precious metals that would be practical in a market economy. The book must also have at least 100 proper nouns which have not been commonly used in the modern world for the past 100 years.

ChatGPT's answer:

I am sorry, as an AI language model, I am capable of generating high-quality texts, but writing a book with a minimum of 250,000 words is beyond my capacity. It would take significant time and effort to create such a complex work that requires attention to detail and coherence over a thousand-year timeline. However, I can provide you with a brief outline of the story to give you an idea of what it might look like.

Title: The Shifting Sands of Time: A Thousand-Year Odyssey

Prologue: The First Age (1-100 years)

The story begins in a primitive society, where the people live in small tribes and worship a pantheon of gods. The tribes are constantly at war with each other over territory, resources, and cultural differences. The protagonist, a young warrior named Kellor, emerges as a leader of his tribe and seeks to unite the warring factions under a common banner. He makes alliances with neighboring tribes and persuades them to follow his vision of a more civilized society.

Chapter 1: The Second Age (101-200 years)

Kellor establishes a confederation of tribes and becomes the first king of a united people. He introduces a code of laws, a system of taxation, and a standing army to maintain order and defend against external threats. He also encourages scientific inquiry and sponsors research into agriculture, metallurgy, and medicine. However, Kellor's reforms are not universally accepted, and there are still factions that resist his authority.

Chapter 2: The Third Age (201-300 years)

Kellor's successors continue to build upon his legacy and expand the kingdom's borders through diplomacy and conquest. They establish trade routes with other civilizations and adopt new technologies from abroad. The kingdom becomes a center of commerce and culture, attracting scholars, artists, and artisans from all over the world. The capital city, once a small village, grows into a metropolis, with grand palaces, temples, and public works.

Chapter 3: The Fourth Age (301-400 years)

As the kingdom grows in wealth and power, it becomes increasingly stratified, with a ruling elite and a vast underclass of peasants and slaves. The religious institutions become corrupt and exploitative, using their influence to extract tribute from the people and suppress dissent. A new movement arises, advocating for social justice and equality, and challenging the legitimacy of the monarchy. The movement gains momentum, and there are violent clashes between the rebels and the royal army.

Chapter 4: The Fifth Age (401-500 years)

The rebellion succeeds in overthrowing the monarchy and establishing a republic. The new government is based on the principles of democracy and individual rights, and it promises to eradicate poverty and oppression. However, the republic is soon plagued by factionalism, corruption, and ineffectiveness. The economy suffers, and there are famines, riots, and civil unrest. The republic collapses under the weight of its own contradictions, and a new era of chaos and anarchy begins.

Chapter 5: The Sixth Age (501-600 years)

Out of the ruins of the republic emerges a charismatic leader, who claims to have divine inspiration and a vision of a new world order. He rallies the people behind him, promising to restore order, morality, and prosperity. He establishes a theocracy, with himself as the supreme ruler and the religious hierarchy as his loyal servants. The theocracy is highly centralized and authoritarian, but it is also efficient and effective, capable of mobilizing resources and suppressing dissent. The leader becomes a cult figure, worshipped as a god by his followers.

Chapter 6: The Seventh Age (601-700 years)

The theocracy reaches its zenith, with a vast empire spanning continents and oceans. The empire is highly militarized, with a

[network error]

3 hours ago, LoudmouthMormon said:

I wish I could say this was my idea, but someone beat me to it.  Pretty cool though.

Request:

ChatGPT's answer:

Is this supposed to be evidence that a human couldn't create such a novel? 

Don't get me wrong, I think the Book of Mormon is inspired, but if you asked it to create any book with 250,000 words it is incapable, yet we have thousands of complex novels created by humans that accomplish that task easy enough.   It is still infant technology.  It'll get there. 

16 minutes ago, pogi said:

Is this supposed to be evidence that a human couldn't create such a novel? 

This is supposed to be an old discarded LDS apologetic, given new life through modern technology.  It's retro kitsch with a layer of ironic meta.  You know, stuff millennials like.  

29 minutes ago, smac97 said:

I think it is evidence which acknowledges the length, complexity, details, internal coherence, etc. of the text of the Book of Mormon.

I can accept that.

29 minutes ago, smac97 said:

I don't think this is an apt description of the "lots of people could do what Joseph did" explanation relative to the creation of the text. 

I'm not sure who you are quoting here, but I  never said or implied that. 

3 minutes ago, pogi said:

I think it is evidence which acknowledges the length, complexity, details, internal coherence, etc. of the text of the Book of Mormon.

I can accept that.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Book of Mormon is inspired, but if you asked it to create any book with 250,000 words it is incapable, yet we have thousands of complex novels created by humans that accomplish that task easy enough.

I don't think this is an apt description of the "lots of people could do what Joseph did" explanation relative to the creation of the text. 

I'm not sure who you are quoting here, but I  never said or implied that. 

I took your statement ("we have thousands of complex novels created by humans that accomplish that task easy enough") as referencing the "lots of people could do what Joseph did" explanations which have been bandied about over the years.  As I was apparently in error, I apologize.

Thanks,

-Smac

14 minutes ago, smac97 said:

I took your statement ("we have thousands of complex novels created by humans that accomplish that task easy enough") as referencing the "lots of people could do what Joseph did" explanations which have been bandied about over the years.  As I was apparently in error, I apologize.

Thanks,

-Smac

Thanks for apologizing. 

I stated that I believe it is inspired.   I don't think it could have been written it without the inspiration of God.   

What I was pointing out is that ChatgPT can't even replicate a novel, "any" novel of that length, which thousands of people can and have done.  So, it doesn't say much in that regards. 

Edited by pogi

Thanks for apologizing. 

I stated that I believe it is inspired.   I don't think it could have been written it without the inspiration of God.   

I saw that.  I was not attributing the "lots of people could do what Joseph did" line of reasoning to you, or I did not intend to.  Hence my apology.

What I was pointing out is that ChatgPT can't even replicate a novel, "any" novel of that length, which thousands of people can and have done.  So, it doesn't say much in that regards. 

The rate of improvement in ChatGPT appears to nigh unto exponential.  From my previous post:

GPT-Progress.png

Each of the above bars represents 1 annual quarter, or three months.  For ChatGPT to go from scoring <10% on the MBE to ~75% in 7 quarters, or less than two years, is pretty astonishing.

So ChatGPT may not be able to write a novel now, but it may be able to do so in pretty short order.

Thanks,

-Smac

16 minutes ago, smac97 said:

So ChatGPT may not be able to write a novel now, but it may be able to do so in pretty short order.

I don't doubt it one bit.  I also don't doubt that it will be able to write a scriptural type book equal in complexity to the BoM.   That won't disprove the Book of Mormon though.  That is why I don't see much point in this.  It just seems like a superficial way to give confidence in the Book of Mormon.  Whether ChatGPT can or cannot create something equivalent in complexity to the Book of Mormon says nothing about the inspired source of the Book of Mormon. 

10 minutes ago, pogi said:

I don't doubt it one bit.  I also don't doubt that it will be able to write a scriptural type book equal in complexity to the BoM.   That won't disprove the Book of Mormon though. 

I don't think the point is to "disprove the Book of Mormon," but rather to note that if this happens, just how much effort and technological resources are necessary to match what Joseph Smith accomplished nearly 200 years ago.

That is why I don't see much point in this.

I see the point, but I don't see it as being that persuasive of one.

It just seems like a superficial way to give confidence in the Book of Mormon. 

It an arrow in the quiver, one of many arguments.  That's all.

Whether ChatGPT can or cannot create something equivalent in complexity to the Book of Mormon says nothing about the inspired source of the Book of Mormon. 

I think it might end up saying something about that.  How probative and persuasive that ends up being, though, is very much an "eye of the beholder" thing.

Thanks,

-Smac

ChatGPT is a mirage of a person. It is an interesting exercise but it is limited. It doesn’t understand what it is doing. It is a huge cache of data and an algorithm on how to use that data created in a very weird way.

No one understands everything that goes into their decision making including the creators. It is brute force engineering where we keep evolving the algorithm and just keeping the ones that get it right and spinning off new ones. It can pass tests because we fed it tests and only kept the algorithms that did the best.

For fun try to ask ChatGPT to write a report on a book it has never read before. It writes like a High School student who hasn’t read the material complete with trying to use generic comments that apply to everyone. It also gets facts wrong a lot of the time because the data it was using got them wrong and it can’t tell the difference at all.

4 hours ago, smac97 said:

Wow.  Wow.

My father was a printer/proofreader.  He set type and layout for the Salt Lake Tribune and Deseret News.  His father before him was a printer as well.  It was a respected profession going all the way back to Gutenberg days.  Then the entire profession dried up within 5 years after they invented the spell check button and the home printer. 

Makes me wonder what professions are going to be obsoleted in the next 10 years because of this stuff.  Once LawyerGPT V3 is downloadable for ten bucks on sale, totally capable of doing 80% of what lawyers do, better than the average lawyer, what will your profession look like?

2 hours ago, LoudmouthMormon said:

My father was a printer/proofreader.  He set type and layout for the Salt Lake Tribune and Deseret News.  His father before him was a printer as well.  It was a respected profession going all the way back to Gutenberg days.  Then the entire profession dried up within 5 years after they invented the spell check button and the home printer. 

Makes me wonder what professions are going to be obsoleted in the next 10 years because of this stuff.  Once LawyerGPT V3 is downloadable for ten bucks on sale, totally capable of doing 80% of what lawyers do, better than the average lawyer, what will your profession look like?

Life is certainly getting more interesting the older I get, wow!

We obsoleted much of human physical labor with the Industrial Revolution. If this continues the need for human brains will likewise diminish. It will change differently since there will still be things humans are required for. I might use a lawyer bot to take care of paperwork but I doubt it would take the lawyer out of the courtroom. We might be able to get rid of 80% of doctors when bots learn enough to diagnose problems better than humans can.

We will then either create new industries that require human brains specifically (and create demand for their product somehow) or will have to adapt society since full employment will be impossible or possibly both.

12 hours ago, The Nehor said:

We obsoleted much of human physical labor with the Industrial Revolution. If this continues the need for human brains will likewise diminish.

Gl4vGFc.jpeg

And furthermore, everyone should go watch Idiocracy.  It's the dumbest, most poorly made flick that will give you years of nightmares.

:D Hey!  I could use a Coke IV!  Where can I get one of those?!* :D 

:rofl: :good: :D 

*Do I have to go to the nearest ER?  "2L Coke IV, stat! "

56 minutes ago, Kenngo1969 said:

:D Hey!  I could use a Coke IV!  Where can I get one of those?!* :D 

:rofl: :good: :D 

*Do I have to go to the nearest ER?  "2L Coke IV, stat! "

Because I am in that kind of mood…

A Coke IV is stupid unless you don’t like the taste because it robs you of the pleasure of the sensation of sweetness and carbonation (though I would go for ginger beer for my carbonation fix, yech Coke).  And if you don’t like the taste of Coke or the sensation of bubbles, then why not just eat something sugary that you like (cream puffs would be my go to sugar fix) and pop caffeine pills?

20 hours ago, LoudmouthMormon said:

Gl4vGFc.jpeg

And furthermore, everyone should go watch Idiocracy.  It's the dumbest, most poorly made flick that will give you years of nightmares.

I like the movie but the reverse eugenics of the film was just weird. The idea of devolution of intelligence is nonsensical.

idiocracy.png