Seriously No Politics ×

NPR news piece on James Jones

Nofear

3 hours ago, caspianrex said:

I listened to the NPR piece a few days ago, and I thought James Jones expressed his position quite articulately.

I'm not a Latter-day Saint myself, so I don't have any skin in the game, but I think the Church would do well to acknowledge some of their earlier positions on race, and not try to pretend that everything sorted itself out just fine in 1978. (I'm not accusing ALL LDS leadership of this, but one occasionally sees responses of "Well, it was a different time back in those days" to concerns raised about racial issues, polygamy, etc. Again, not trying to criticize a Church that I'm not a member of, but just presenting my perspective as an outsider.

An unbiased yet friendly outsider perspective is helpful.   I hope people listen. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/27/2023 at 2:44 PM, caspianrex said:

I listened to the NPR piece a few days ago, and I thought James Jones expressed his position quite articulately.

I'm not a Latter-day Saint myself, so I don't have any skin in the game, but I think the Church would do well to acknowledge some of their earlier positions on race, and not try to pretend that everything sorted itself out just fine in 1978. (I'm not accusing ALL LDS leadership of this, but one occasionally sees responses of "Well, it was a different time back in those days" to concerns raised about racial issues, polygamy, etc. Again, not trying to criticize a Church that I'm not a member of, but just presenting my perspective as an outsider.

We’re not pretending everything sorted itself out just fine in 1978, just as no one pretends that the many issues around slavery were sorted out just fine on May 26, 1865. Such things take time, patience, effort, perseverance, and charity. 

He shows his true intentions….

Mormon theology is actually far more expansive and inclusive and affirming and even queer than a lot of Mormons will give it credit for. But they're never going to know that so long as the same predominantly straight white dudes born in the Jim Crow era are the primary ones teaching it. Like, that's just not going to happen. But I want so badly to see that happen because I believe it can if the right people are teaching. And also, I don't think the right people will get into place if people like me just keep leaving.

Edited by Bernard Gui
40 minutes ago, Bernard Gui said:

We’re not pretending everything sorted itself out just fine in 1978, just as no one pretends that the many issues around slavery were sorted out just fine on May 26, 1865. Such things take time, patience, effort, perseverance, and charity. 

He shows his true intentions….

I understand his sentiment, though I don't agree with it completely. That's also not a diplomatic way of saying things. White people have a vainglorious perception of themselves. Comments like that aren't going to work.

Derwin Grey, a former BYU football player and a pastor at a multiethnic congregation, has a much better approach.

On 4/2/2023 at 6:23 PM, Hamilton Porter said:

We have an African-American member with a doctorate from a leading seminary. It'd be a shame if we can't plug him in somewhere to bless our lives.

Plug him in? How does that work?

On 4/2/2023 at 3:02 PM, Hamilton Porter said:

I understand his sentiment, though I don't agree with it completely. That's also not a diplomatic way of saying things. White people have a vainglorious perception of themselves. Comments like that aren't going to work.

Derwin Grey, a former BYU football player and a pastor at a multiethnic congregation, has a much better approach.

What parts of his sentiment do you agree with?

I made it as far as, "When you're in something that feels broken ..."

:rolleyes:  Sigh!