Seriously No Politics ×

Another Big Batch Of Temple Ordinance Changes

32 minutes ago, pogi said:

What priesthood authority is actually conferred upon the patrons in the temple?   I always viewed the temple as symbolic and not an actual bestowal or endowment, but is the path by which such an endowment is possible - like the gift of the Holy Ghost, it is not the actual bestowal or the Holy Ghost or baptism of fire, but is the means and invitation to receive it.  In the same way, the temple is the means and invitation to receive the endowment and become  priests and priestesses, etc.  as we evolve spiritually through the different stages.    It is a pattern of stages and symbols of actual endowments  that we will receive as we follow the covenants and grow in the different stages in our lives.   The tokens are meaningless in and of themselves, I think.  Tokens, by definition, are signs or symbols for something else that I think we will have to be in possession of or present.

That is why the endowment doesn't guarantee us exaltation, but only qualifies us for it - we have not yet received the full endowment, that comes only as we keep the covenants and progress through the different stages and accept the actual spiritual endowments that are associated with the tokens, etc.   That's my take anyway. 

Priesthood authority is 100% part of the endowment.  It just looks a little different from standard Church priesthood offices.  And it's absolutely not merely symbolic or limited to the brethren.
The tokens are not "meaningless in and of themselves".  They represent our standing before the Lord as ones having authority and blessings of the priesthood through membership in that holy order.

• "instructing them in the principles and order of the Priesthood, attending to washings, anointings, endowments and the communication of Keys pertaining to the Aaronic Priesthood, and so on to the highest order of Melchisedec Priesthood, setting forth the order pertaining to the ancient of Days, and all those plans and principles, by which any one is enabled to secure the fulness of those blessings, which have been prepared for the Church of the first born, and come up and abide in the presence of the Eloheim in the Eternal worlds. In this Council was instituted the Ancient order of things for the first time in these last days."  Joseph Smith

• "being enabled to give them the key words, the signs, and tokens, pertaining to the Holy Priesthood, and gain your eternal exaltation" - Brigham Young

• "The 2nd Priesthood is Patriarchal authority. Go to and finish the temple, and God will fill it with power, and you will then receive more knowledge concerning this priesthood." - Joseph Smith

• "There are signs in heaven earth & hell. the elders must know them all to be endued with power. to finish their work & prevent imposition. The devil knows many signs. but does not know the sign of the son of man. or Jesus. No one can truly say he knows God until he has handled something. & these this can only be in the holiest of Holies."  Joseph Smith

• " There are 4 penal signs and 4 penal tokens and should I want to address the throne to enquire after ancient things which transpired on planets that rolled away before this planet came into existence I should use my new name which is ancient and referred to ancient things. Should I wish to enquire for present things I should use my own name which refers to present things. And should I want to enquire for future things I would use the 3rd name which refers to the first token of the Melchizedek Priesthood or is the 3rd token that is given and refers to the Son. The 2nd token of the Melchizedek Priesthood is to be given only in one place and nowhere else, but these signs and tokens that pertain to the Priesthood should never be given anywhere only in such places as belong to the P. H. and that too by none but such as belong to the order of the Priesthood." - Brigham Young

• "As part of entering into these covenants in the temple, members receive a simple undergarment—often referred to as the “temple garment” or “garment of the Holy Priesthood.
     https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/manual/gospel-topics/garments?lang=eng

At least that's what used to be given in the endowment.

Edited by JLHPROF
34 minutes ago, pogi said:

That's what I mean when I say they are meaningless in and of themselves.  They only represent something else that we are supposed to present in character or principle to the Lord.  That is my belief anyway.  They are just symbols for something else.  That is the very definition of "token". 

Right, they are just instructions of an order, not an endowment of priesthood authority. 

Right, "enabled to secure"...  Just like with the gift of the Holy Ghost we are "enabled" to secure the "fulness of these blessings" through covenant making and keeping. 

Again, "enabled" to "secure" and then present after receiving what these things represent. 

Yep, more knowledge to enable us to secure...

Yep, these symbols and signs represent things that the devil doesn't and can't know (clearly he knows the signs and symbols - all he has to do is google them), which are keys to "know God".   The devil knows the symbol, he doesn't know the knowledge behind the symbol that requires obedience to covenant to receive.  

And the garment represents something else too.   

The purpose of all of this is to instruct and enable the spirit and mind to live and receive of the knowledge of God through stages of spiritual development and fulfillment of covenant and attended blessings. 

And when these elements are removed piece by piece?

What then of the instruction?
""A man is saved no faster than he gets knowledge, for if he does not get knowledge, he will be brought into captivity by some evil power in the other world, as evil spirits will have more knowledge, and consequently more power than many men who are on the earth."  - Joseph Smith

The more we remove the less remains.  There are fewer and fewer saints remaining who know the penalties, the key words, the correct veil ceremony, the true temple prayer, and I would say soon enough the signs and tokens.
The knowledge is being lost more and more with each generation.  There will be few who will be able to "give them the key words, the signs, and tokens, pertaining to the Holy Priesthood, and gain your eternal exaltation."

Edited by JLHPROF
11 hours ago, bluebell said:

I would find these ideas more profound if abuse of women, and women being seen as inherently inferior to men, weren’t so prevalent in all societies (including Asian ones) that either still believe in or had a strong history of hierarchical relationships between men and women.

I wonder if one reason that many women find hierarchical relationships with men to be beneficial is because—in such societies—women are more vulnerable to male and systemic abuse when they are without a strong connection to male protection.

I think that the story of Ruth in the Bible is a good example of what I’m talking about. Because of the inherent abuses of women in the societal system that she lived, Ruth needed that hierarchical relationship with a man to survive and be safe.  In a less misogynistic society though such a relationship would be unnecessary for her safety and social standing.

Often (not always) it’s the systemic abuse of the powerless by the powerful that makes power hierarchies attractive. Those prone to being abused without some kind of protection will benefit from such a relationship.

But remove the need for protection from other powerful people, and the need for a voice to speak on your behalf because your voice is seen as inferior, and hierarchical relationships lose most of their meaning and attraction.

Yes, and one would hope there would be no need for hierarchical relationships in Heaven. 

27 minutes ago, JLHPROF said:

And when these elements are removed piece by piece?

What then of the instruction?
""A man is saved no faster than he gets knowledge, for if he does not get knowledge, he will be brought into captivity by some evil power in the other world, as evil spirits will have more knowledge, and consequently more power than many men who are on the earth."  - Joseph Smith

The more we remove the less remains.  There are fewer and fewer saints remaining who know the penalties,

Hallelujah! That haunts me to this day 34 years later! The temple has never been a place of peace to me in part because of this. 

the key words, the correct veil ceremony,

Glad about this as well.  It felt icky to me. 

the true te

mple prayer, and I would say soon enough the signs and tokens.
The knowledge is being lost more and more with each generation.  There will be few who will be able to "give them the key words, the signs, and tokens, pertaining to the Holy Priesthood, and gain your eternal exaltation."

2 hours ago, Peacefully said:

Yes, and one would hope there would be no need for hierarchical relationships in Heaven. 

Becoming one includes, imo, knowing each other as well as we know ourselves and needing to know ourselves much better than we do at the moment.  If we manage that, then we will be aware of any costs our decisions may require for others to pay as well as what others need to progress so that we can alter our behaviour so it is truly win win for everyone. At that point we can achieve an ideal state where both the collective and the individual excel.   And that knowledge of the other and being able to act immediately on the other’s needs as well as our own needs would seem to remove the need for a hierarchy. Even if someone is more powerful or has a gift another does not, so that there is a task that requires them to be the one supported by others to achieve, this does not create a hierarchy if everyone chooses their own role to play and acts on their own initiative when their contribution is needed. 

3 hours ago, Peacefully said:

Need? Desire? It all depends on perspective.

Personally, I'll be fine either way. Some of the sweetest experiences I've had in mortality so far have involved being blessed with Christlike leaders who have loved me, inspired me, motivated me, and empowered me as I have served 'under' them. I literally wouldn't be who I am right now without their guidance.

Will I outgrow that desire at some point? Maybe ... though certainly never in relation to my Saviour!

Edited by Hamba Tuhan
1 hour ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

Need? Desire? It all depends on perspective.

Personally, I'll be fine either way. Some of the sweetest experiences I've had in mortality so far have involved being blessed with Christlike leaders who have loved me, inspired me, motivated me, and empowered me as I have served 'under' them. I literally wouldn't be who I am right now without their guidance.

Will I outgrow that desire at some point? Maybe ... though certainly never in relation to my Saviour!

If hierarchy entails someone more powerful or knowledgeable doing something for one that one can’t do for oneself…that doesn’t make a lot of sense to me when speaking of a community of gods.  Maybe if we specialize in skills, but that seems unlikely for the necessities that would create a hierarchical relationship rather than a mutually beneficial relationship (such as a skilled chef exchanging services with someone who can build a home for them).

If one means by hierarchy that one or more individuals are chosen to be leaders because someone needs to make the ultimate decision, provide the best direction for the community growth…does this need even exist in a community where all are one?  (Meaning to me that all are aware of the needs of a situation and the costs and benefits of every action and while each might choose a different way if only they were involved, all understand what the best action is to be for all involved…thus anyone chosen to be leader would make the same decision…therefore there is no need for a leader to spell it out.)

If hierarchy is needed for something else, I would be interested in hearing about it. 

Edited by Calm
1 hour ago, Calm said:

If hierarchy entails someone more powerful or knowledgeable doing something for one that one can’t do for oneself…that doesn’t make a lot of sense to me when speaking of a community of gods ...

If one means by hierarchy that one or more individuals are chosen to be leaders because someone needs to make the ultimate decision, provide the best direction for the community growth…does this need even exist in a community where all are one?

Do you reject then the hierarchical relationship between the Father and the Son, wherein the Son is obedient to the Father and fulfils His will?

Maybe if we specialize in skills, but that seems unlikely for the necessities that would create a hierarchical relationship rather than a mutually beneficial relationship (such as a skilled chef exchanging services with someone who can build a home for them).

Quoting myself quoting Tannen above (emphasis added):

Such a relationship is ‘a hierarchical interdependence by which both have power in the form of obligations as well as rights vis-à-vis the other’ (27).

It can be very difficult to think outside of our own cultural assumptions, but for many people, a hierarchical relationship not only can be, quoting you, 'a mutually beneficial relationship', but is the relationship most likely to be mutually beneficial.

Who do you think benefits more from Their relationship, the Son or the Father?

19 minutes ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

you reject then the hierarchical relationship between the Father and the Son, wherein the Son is obedient to the Father and fulfils His will

I am not sure I see it as a hierarchical relationship at this point since they are one, even if in the past I think it was because I believe the Son submitted himself to the Father’s Will during a period where the Father was more aware of what that meant and what was needed.  I believe that Christ now has the same awareness and abilities as the Father and the Son fulfills the Father’s wish because it is his own as well.  There is no need to act in obedience when there is informed agreement.

Who do you think benefits more from Their relationship, the Son or the Father?

I don’t think their relationship operates on those terms any more.  How can one benefit more than another when they are one?

If something benefits a marriage, it can be looked at in a couple of ways.  One way is to look at whether it benefits the husband more or the wife more, maybe one might even be concerned there is a great cost to one even if the relationship over all benefits.

Or one could look at a marriage being benefitted simply as the benefits to the marriage.  In an ideal marriage, what benefits one spouse has the same benefit for the other spouse because they are lifted together, they are one.  If there is a cost to one, it is a cost to both,  If there is a benefit to one, there is a benefit to both.  Their lives are so intertwined even when different, so balanced that you will know how the other will respond by seeing the response of one of them.  The needs and desires of the other are as important to them as their own needs and desires.

At that point it makes no sense to talk about who benefits more from something in that marriage.  They are one.  I believe a Zion relationship will operate the same with the additional benefit of involving perfect individuals, especially perfect in awareness of each other so they will know with precision what benefits and costs the other and therefore what benefits and costs themselves, so they act not out of obedience to instruction, but out of full awareness of need.

Edited by Calm
14 minutes ago, Calm said:

I am not sure I see it as a hierarchical relationship at this point since they are one ...

And as Tannen and Reid both point out, for many people, oneness is a distinctive feature of hierarchical relationships.

I don’t think their relationship operates on those terms any more.

I don't think the scriptures or the teachings of the Latter-day prophets in any way support the idea that Christ once was but no longer is subordinate to the Father.

How can one benefit more than another when they are one?

Precisely.

Edited by Hamba Tuhan
21 minutes ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

And as Tannen and Reid both point out, for many people, oneness is a distinctive feature of hierarchical relationships.

But how is that oneness achieved?  If only one has access to certain knowledge and power and they share it with another, that can be one form of oneness and I believe that was the past relationship of the Father with all his children, even Christ.

But once the Father gives all that he has to his children, do they not also have full access to his knowledge and power?  Are those not now their knowledge and their power?  If so, is a patron/client relationship necessary any more?  And if not necessary, why desired?  Is there something inherently beneficial to a hierarchal oneness that is not accessible to a different form of oneness, even if perhaps not always available to a oneness built from the individual paradigm?  My guess is there isn’t and hierarchy will be dispensed with once the oneness promised by the Father is achieved because there are benefits that cannot be achieved from a purely hierarchical paradigm.  After all, there are two great commandments and only one currently requires a hierarchy relationship…though at the moment it is also the greatest commandment, but my guess is that is because both have to be commandments.  Once the two greatest commandments become a part of our very being, we will be prepared to receive something even greater.

I believe both the individualist and the hierarchical perspectives are valuable, but they are also incomplete.  I believe the ultimate relationship will be much more, a oneness that exceeds the parent child relationship in all its forms and a oneness that exceeds two equals working together, but is also something more individualistic than a hive of like minds operating as one, yet also not a group of gods each acting as the ultimate power couples over their spiritual descendants.  Somehow the best of both will be managed along with many more benefits we are not aware of as possible or could even conceived if God attempted to explain them to us…probably because there is another way out there we haven’t experienced yet because we lack the necessary abilities to experience it as mortals.  My guess is at least telepathy will be a part of it.  When I think of how dramatically cell phone and internet use has impacted human relationships, the impact telepathy would have on us, especially if possible with anyone and everyone as needed..the difference is beyond astronomical.

Edited by Calm
44 minutes ago, Calm said:

Is there something inherently beneficial to a hierarchal oneness that is not accessible to a different form of oneness, even if perhaps not always available to a oneness built from the individual paradigm?  My guess is there isn’t and hierarchy will be dispensed with once the oneness promised by the Father is achieved because there are benefits that cannot be achieved from a purely hierarchical paradigm.

I have no expectation (nor desire) that I will ever 'outgrow' my subordinate relationship with either the Father or the Son. From a relevant gospel topic essay:

Latter-day Saints believe that God’s children will always worship Him. Our progression will never change His identity as our Father and our God. Indeed, our exalted, eternal relationship with Him will be part of the “fulness of joy” He desires for us.

6 minutes ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

I have no expectation (nor desire) that I will ever 'outgrow' my subordinate relationship with either the Father or the Son. From a relevant gospel topic essay:

True, neither do I have any desire.  But subordination sounds nonsensical to me next to God’s promises of oneness and even if it might scare me right now or not appeal to me, why would I refuse blessings God desires me to have once he has prepared me to receive them.  It would be like refusing the fullness of Atonement because I see myself as unworthy now even though I recognize that God has some great plans to make me worthy and capable of receiving the fullness of the Atonement in the future.

It may be possible to be fully one and yet subordinate in the heavens just as there are some mathematical expressions that make sense in a ‘higher’ math that are nonsense in basic math.  Otoh, I am not going to expect to find the expression of such a paradoxical relationship reflected in mortal existence any more than I would expect to find the answers of a paradox in basic math in a basic math expression.

Edited by Calm
21 minutes ago, Calm said:

I am not going to expect to find the expression of such a paradoxical relationship reflected in mortal existence ...

And yet this is the normal mental construction of the most intimate relationships in a number of known cultures, without paradox.

Edited by Hamba Tuhan

IMO the temple, the church, everything LDS is inspired by God but not dictated. Therefore, there is lots of room for changes that have been and will be made.  

This belief allows my faith to remain intact.  I’m at peace. FWIW. 

If there is anything in writing that states otherwise I’m open to it. 

Edited by MustardSeed
5 hours ago, Calm said:

But how is that oneness achieved? 

I don't know, but oneness might include a new identity paradigm.

5 hours ago, Calm said:

My guess is... hierarchy will be dispensed with once the oneness promised by the Father is achieved because there are benefits that cannot be achieved from a purely hierarchical paradigm.

I speculate that a lot of what we see down here is based on what works effectively in a Telestial setting, and is not necessarily "the way things are" in the higher kingdom(s).

5 hours ago, Calm said:

After all, there are two great commandments and only one currently requires a hierarchy relationship…though at the moment it is also the greatest commandment, but my guess is that is because both have to be commandments.  Once the two greatest commandments become a part of our very being, we will be prepared to receive something even greater.

"And the second is like unto the first".

So perhaps the first and second great commandments are more alike than is obvious at first glance.

5 minutes ago, manol said:

I don't know, but oneness might include a new identity paradigm.

I speculate that a lot of what we see down here is based on what works effectively in a Telestial setting, and is not necessarily "the way things are" in the higher kingdom(s).

"And the second is like unto the first".

So perhaps the first and second great commandments are more alike than is obvious at first glance.

I've always thought the second commandment was unnecessary if we follow the first commandment, but as imperfect as we are we, as a whole, just didn't understand the first so needed more direction with the second.

It just all goes back to Elder Bednar's doctrines and principles.  If you truly understand the doctrine of God being our Father then you will naturally love (principle) and treat his other children well.

25 minutes ago, Rain said:

I've always thought the second commandment was unnecessary if we follow the first commandment, but as imperfect as we are we, as a whole, just didn't understand the first so needed more direction with the second.

Maybe I'm "seeing things", but I think some big stuff has been hidden in plain sight within the first and second great commandments.

25 minutes ago, Rain said:

It just all goes back to Elder Bednar's doctrines and principles.  If you truly understand the doctrine of God being our Father then you will naturally love (principle) and treat his other children well.

I should be familiar with what you are referring to, but I've been out of the church since before David Bednar became an apostle so I haven't been "following along".  If it is EASY for you to do, can you point me to one of his talks that illustrates what you're referring to? 

Edited by manol
27 minutes ago, Rain said:

If you are capable of truly loving all other of God’s children as much as we love and care for ourselves, my guess is we are capable of truly loving God by then as well. 

Maybe in the end becoming one with God is loving God as we love ourselves.

12 minutes ago, manol said:

Maybe I'm "seeing things", but I think some big stuff has been hidden in plain sight within the first and second great commandments.

Yes, that is what I get as well.

12 minutes ago, manol said:

I should be familiar with what you are referring to, but I've been out of the church since before David Bednar became an apostle so I haven't been "following along".  If it is EASY for you to do, can you point me to one of his talks that illustrates what you're referring to? 

He has spoken about it in conference, but went into more depth and explaining in one of his books, Increase in LearningThis article summarizes some of his ideas. 

Edit: I reccomend reading the book.  I think from what I have read from you that you would like it.

Edited by Rain
On 2/13/2023 at 7:07 PM, Chum said:

I never said or insinuated any link between temple covenants and abuse. As far as I hinted at a factor that abuse might be tied to, it was the mindset of the time.

It's fair to say that expectations of subservience and obedience to men were commonplace during my mom's generation - and that men who abused women tied their right of mistreatment to those expectations.

Are/Were there temple attending men who mistreated women? Sure. An abusive husband can get a temple recommend by believing his abuse isn't abuse. And once thru the temple, folks pretty much operate the same way as they did that morning. None of this implicates the temple.

Scars....abominable.......expectations....linked...... In fact, those men would be in violation of their covenants. 

Subservience means obedience without question. That is not a temple covenant.

Edited by Bernard Gui