Seriously No Politics ×

Anyone else get this email from Mormon Stories?

1 hour ago, 2BizE said:

Could a list of individuals and their email addresses have come from purchasing them from a company like Deseret Book, or another LDS themed company?  Selling is this type of mailing list data is pretty common.

Yes.  Companies buy email lists from all kinds of sources. They also cross pollinate, trading their list for a similar list held by a similar company.  And there are companies out there that will sell you a mailing list for just about any nitch group.

I haven't received the email, but I have never listened to or subscribed to any of those type of sites.  

22 hours ago, Calm said:

Were they ever more positive?  There is no reason this latest email needs to be from a recent list. 

It’s a diverse place. There are posters as positive as Teancum, and posters who compare him to Joseph Smith. Haven’t seen anyone who comes across as a lackey, but I’m rarely over there. 

On the emails, It seems unlikely to me, but sure it’s possible. If I got an email from FAIR, how far down the list of suspects would Nemesis be? For me it would be close to the bottom of my list, well below believing family members signing me up or any number of other potential avenues for getting email.

3 hours ago, 2BizE said:

Could a list of individuals and their email addresses have come from purchasing them from a company like Deseret Book, or another LDS themed company?  Selling is this type of mailing list data is pretty common.

It is possible, but I haven't got the email and Deseret Book definitely has my email.  I think Seagull might have had it, but I'm not sure.  Time Out For Women had it.  LDS Living. Some Facebook groups. 

21 hours ago, pogi said:

Can you show me a historical podcast of his about the church which highlights the positive historical accounts and potentially faith-promoting history? 

You want me to scour the podcast library and pick them out for you?  Why?  And this show me that your judgement is made without having listened to anything.  And are you looking for any podcast he made that meet this requirement or more recent podcasts?  Why don't you search and pick a few on your own?

21 hours ago, pogi said:

Relative to how it was, I think the gospel topics essays and the Saints books are extremely significant strides. 

I have not looked at The Saints so I cannot speak to it.  But for a church that require honesty from its members in a temple recommend interview I am sorry, I don't feel inclined to give what I see as small steps they have been forced to make and something to applaud.  You know as well as I that if we were not in the information age they never would have done this.  And we still have leaders discouraging members from reading from "questionable" sources, saying the leaders have never hidden anything, that all truths  are not useful, that the church is not obligated to give both sides of the story and so on.  So no accolades from me.

Edited by Teancum
On 1/20/2023 at 4:40 AM, smac97 said:

That may have changed, or is in the process of changing.  I think Dehlin has, in recent years, become more obviously strident and oppositional and harsh in his treatment of the Church.  I also think he may have burned some bridges in his treatment in recent years of Dr. Bushman (see here for a summary).  Mormon Stories has become less like Dialogue and more like the Tanners, or even Ed Decker.  This overt antipathy may end up estranging more and more faithful Latter-day Saints.  

Hardly like Ed Decker.  More like the Tanners.

Edited by Teancum
2 hours ago, Teancum said:

That may have changed, or is in the process of changing.  I think Dehlin has, in recent years, become more obviously strident and oppositional and harsh in his treatment of the Church.  I also think he may have burned some bridges in his treatment in recent years of Dr. Bushman (see here for a summary).  Mormon Stories has become less like Dialogue and more like the Tanners, or even Ed Decker.  This overt antipathy may end up estranging more and more faithful Latter-day Saints.  

Hardily like Ed Decker.  More like the Tanners.

Perhaps the comparison of Dehlin to Decker was inapt.  I withdraw it.

Thanks,

-Smac

On 1/20/2023 at 3:20 PM, SeekingUnderstanding said:

It’s a diverse place. There are posters as positive as Teancum, and posters who compare him to Joseph Smith. Haven’t seen anyone who comes across as a lackey, but I’m rarely over there. 

On the emails, It seems unlikely to me, but sure it’s possible. If I got an email from FAIR, how far down the list of suspects would Nemesis be? For me it would be close to the bottom of my list, well below believing family members signing me up or any number of other potential avenues for getting email.

I wouldn’t sell a list or give out any info on users here.  I for one enjoy my anonymity.  It has allowed me to run the site without outside influence.  

Nemesis

5 hours ago, Orthodox Christian said:

These sound like fake emails, and who is John Dehlin?

Runs this site/podcast/YouTube channel. 

https://www.Mormon*******.***/

Former member of the LDS Church.  Had a faith crisis in early 2000s. Started Mormon Stories. Was more neutral for some time and even tried to make it work.  Became more negative and critical and criticised church leaders over a number of social and other issues.  Was excommunicated in 2015.  Likely has the largest exmo podcast platform out there now.  Has been enmeshed in some controversies with his Open Stories foundation mainly with employees and one a while back (2011 or 2012?) which may have been somewhat romantic.  Has a reputation for being narcissistic.  

3 hours ago, Teancum said:

Runs this site/podcast/YouTube channel. 

https://www.Mormon*******.***/

Former member of the LDS Church.  Had a faith crisis in early 2000s. Started Mormon Stories. Was more neutral for some time and even tried to make it work.  Became more negative and critical and criticised church leaders over a number of social and other issues.  Was excommunicated in 2015.  Likely has the largest exmo podcast platform out there now.  Has been enmeshed in some controversies with his Open Stories foundation mainly with employees and one a while back (2011 or 2012?) which may have been somewhat romantic.  Has a reputation for being narcissistic.  

Oh, looking at your link, it seems like an 'I must tell all' sites. I guess all faith's are beset by these.

17 hours ago, Orthodox Christian said:

Oh, looking at your link, it seems like an 'I must tell all' sites. I guess all faith's are beset by these.

To some extent though the topics are diverse.  Some are exit stories.  Some are topic oriented.  So do you think such things are problematic?

Edited by Teancum
15 minutes ago, Teancum said:

To some extent thought the topics are diverse.  Some are exit stories.  Some are topic oriented.  So you think such things are problematic?

Not necessarily, but there are many 'Why I left the .... Church'  videos etc. They don't necessarily present a balanced view. And after a while they become repetitive.

5 hours ago, Orthodox Christian said:

Not necessarily, but there are many 'Why I left the .... Church'  videos etc. They don't necessarily present a balanced view. And after a while they become repetitive.

Well as a long time Mormon Stories listener I do agree about the repetitive part.  That is why I rarely listen to those anymore. I pick and choose based on topic of the podcast.