Seriously No Politics ×

A Little Bit Pregnant?

JAHS

BYU professor claims she doesn't 'know the morals' of abortion when a woman is 'a little bit pregnant'

In a recently released recording from a women’s health class at Brigham Young University (BYU), a professor can be heard saying that she doesn't "know the morals" of taking a Plan C pill that would induce a chemical abortion in a case where a woman does not know if she is pregnant.

This is at a school that distinctly supports the anti-abortion position to the exclusion of all others. The audio, released by Cwic Media, records the professor in a lecture that addresses pregnancy and abortion.

"So is there an interspace in pregnancy? Like this article that I was diving in to say... If she had unprotected intercourse before she takes a positive pregnancy test. There's a pill she can take to just ensure. Like in this interspace like I don’t want to take a pregnancy test and I kind of don't want to know if I actually conceived. This pill will just take care of it if I did, and if I didn't."

"So this NPR podcast live episode. It's called ‘a little bit pregnant,’" the professor continued. "I don't know. I'm learning, I haven’t done enough research to actually have an opinion. And I don’t know that I necessarily will or won't have an opinion. I just want to read and listen to what is being discussed in this." (there's more in the article)

In my opinion, if a woman takes the pill it is her intention to cause an abortion to happen whether she is pregnant or not. 

Edited by JAHS
32 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!

For behold, the day cometh that shall burn as an oven; and all the proud, yea, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble; and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the Lord of Hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch.

But unto you that fear my name, shall the Son of Righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and ye shall go forth and grow up as calves in the stall.

And ye shall tread down the wicked; for they shall be ashes under the soles of your feet in the day that I shall do this, saith the Lord of Hosts.

8 minutes ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

For behold, the day cometh that shall burn as an oven; and all the proud, yea, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble; and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the Lord of Hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch.

But unto you that fear my name, shall the Son of Righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and ye shall go forth and grow up as calves in the stall.

And ye shall tread down the wicked; for they shall be ashes under the soles of your feet in the day that I shall do this, saith the Lord of Hosts.

So, counting God, that is three votes for witch burning.

14 minutes ago, blackstrap said:

Ever heard of a D&C ? 

Yes I have one on my bookshelf.
D&Cs are done when a fetus miscarriages or aborts naturally and the rest of the placenta needs to be removed.
They are of course also done after or during an intentional abortion.

Edited by JAHS

This Greg Matsen is someone who supported that Manifesto, "radical orthodoxy" But his true colours show through. He had this petition or as he called it a "awareness docment" about the liberal perils of going to BYU.  He isn't anyone I would be rallying behind at all if I want to keep my membership in the church.

8 hours ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

Any being that can contemplate torturing its children to death through burning is completely evil and should be opposed at all costs. YMMV. 

41 minutes ago, Duncan said:

This Greg Matsen is someone who supported that Manifesto, "radical orthodoxy" But his true colours show through. He had this petition or as he called it a "awareness docment" about the liberal perils of going to BYU.  He isn't anyone I would be rallying behind at all if I want to keep my membership in the church.

I find it deeply shocking that there are more and more members who are rallying in support of the pro-abortion faction of the Church who have come out in open rebellion against the Lord. Wheat and tares anyone?

24 Behold, vengeance cometh speedily upon the inhabitants of the earth, a day of wrath, a day of burning, a day of desolation, of weeping, of mourning, and of lamentation; and as a whirlwind it shall come upon all the face of the earth, saith the Lord.

25 And upon my house shall it begin, and from my house shall it go forth, saith the Lord;

26 First among those among you, saith the Lord, who have professed to know my name and have not known me, and have blasphemed against me in the midst of my house, saith the Lord. (D$C 112)

6 minutes ago, teddyaware said:

I find it deeply shocking that there are more and more members who are rallying in support of the pro-abortion faction of the Church who have come out in open rebellion against the Lord. Wheat and tares anyone?

24 Behold, vengeance cometh speedily upon the inhabitants of the earth, a day of wrath, a day of burning, a day of desolation, of weeping, of mourning, and of lamentation; and as a whirlwind it shall come upon all the face of the earth, saith the Lord.

25 And upon my house shall it begin, and from my house shall it go forth, saith the Lord;

26 First among those among you, saith the Lord, who have professed to know my name and have not known me, and have blasphemed against me in the midst of my house, saith the Lord. (D$C 112)

I find it deeply shocking as well that people like yourselves deny people their agency-which was Satan plan after all, keep following Satan then. I also find it deeply shocking that God killed children and under 2 years of age when The Israelites were in bondage to the Egyptians

if you want to follow a false prophet like Greg Matsen go ahead but the rest of us don't

Edited by Duncan
2 hours ago, Duncan said:

I find it deeply shocking as well that people like yourselves deny people their agency-which was Satan plan after all, keep following Satan then. I also find it deeply shocking that God killed children and under 2 years of age when The Israelites were in bondage to the Egyptians

if you want to follow a false prophet like Greg Matsen go ahead but the rest of us don't

Greg Mattson is not really the subject of this post but it is what the BYU professor said to a group of BYU students, which could cause confusion regarding what the Church teaches about this subject.

29 minutes ago, JAHS said:

Greg Mattson is not really the subject of this post but it is what the BYU professor said to a group of BYU students, which could cause confusion regarding what the Church teaches about this subject.

Is it Greg Mattson or someone else’s commentary in the article?  Is there a transcript of what the professor said?  I think it important to distinguish between what was actually said and why and interpretations. 

17 minutes ago, SeekingUnderstanding said:

Can you provide a reference to a definitive church teaching on when the soul enters the body? Because if not, the phrase “a little pregnant” makes a lot of sense. And I would think the morals of killing a non ensouled entity would be different than killing something with a spirit. 

As far as I know there is no definitive teaching on when the spirit enters the body, so how can one know for sure it is a non ensouled body?

JAHS, if you want to discuss what she says or the syllabus, my advice is don’t waste anyone’s time, go to the transcript and use that to find and copy the recording, but also double-check it for errors (for example, she says “burden” and the transcript says “organ”).  I will be happy to engage with that, but if you are just discussing what was said about the recording I have spent enough attention on that, someone else might be interested (though I think it foolish to get indignant or even just discuss what is likely a crappy interpretation of someone’s lecture).

Edited by Calm
10 minutes ago, SeekingUnderstanding said:

If the church has no teaching, then how can she “cause confusion regarding what the Church teaches”?

The church does teach against elective abortion, except in rare cases, and the pill causes an abortion to happen.
But I suppose if and when to use it could fall under the heading of something that is a personal choice that is between the person and God.

17 minutes ago, BlueDreams said:

Watched the parts that only have the recording. I'm not sure where to access the transcript though. There's questions I have right off the bat. The guy cuts out the first minute and the student dialogue. Based on the actual recording, it just sounds like the professor is bringing up an open ended topic for discussion, not as much as an absolute. She acknowledges several points of uncertainty via questions, recognizung gaps in knowledge, and tone of voice. I have a hunch that the first minute may have set up this dialogue in a way that would make that clear. I personally don't see anything wrong in bringing up different ideas around a topic with plenty of uncertainty in a cautious tone at a university. Kinda seems like part of the point to a higher education. 

I don't trust matsen, so I'm not interested in viewing his commentary. To me it would be a waste of time. Based on an earlier video I've seen of his, he has a massive agenda and is extremely allergic to anything that even remotely doesn't toe a conservative view and interpretation in the church at church schools. 

With luv, 

BD 

The transcript is found by clicking on the description of the video (click “more” after “show…”)

image.thumb.png.efd845c79cafc45af30636f43b025aed.png

It should have the option to show the transcript there.

image.thumb.png.5997aa1075c4e985da9c539c9765bdda.png

Edited by Calm