Seriously No Politics ×

2 BYU-I Professors fired, even though their Bishops claim to have endorsed them

I wonder how many times on a playground a kid will say “my mom is gonna kill me” and how many times DFS takes that seriously. When Nehor says he has wanted to kill an anonymous group, I’ve been around here long enough to know that this is not a death threat. This looks to me like argument for argument sake.

And if you’re going to go to that big of a stretch the least you could’ve done was quote the correct person. 

Edited by MustardSeed
8 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

I wonder how many times on a playground a kid will say “my mom is gonna kill me” and how many times DFS takes that seriously. When Nehor says he has wanted to kill an anonymous group, I’ve been around here long enough to know that this is not a death threat. This looks to me like argument for argument sake.

And if you’re going to go to that big of a stretch the least you could’ve done was quote the correct person. 

We are, admittedly, a little weird at my house, but I often tell my kids that if they do such and such then I'll have to kill them.  So far, after almost 21 years of parenting, I've killed no one and more importantly, no one has ever believed they would be killed.

3 hours ago, bluebell said:

We are, admittedly, a little weird at my house, but I often tell my kids that if they do such and such then I'll have to kill them.  So far, after almost 21 years of parenting, I've killed no one and more importantly, no one has ever believed they would be killed.

I don't know, my dad got my grandparents to give him an old snowblower because he threatened to sell me off in order to finance one (I was an infant at the time.)

There was a prodigious deal of facetiousness involved on all sides, I expect. Or perhaps it just gave them an excuse to get rid of the old snowblower cluttering their garage.

4 hours ago, OGHoosier said:

I don't know, my dad got my grandparents to give him an old snowblower because he threatened to sell me off in order to finance one (I was an infant at the time.)

There was a prodigious deal of facetiousness involved on all sides, I expect. Or perhaps it just gave them an excuse to get rid of the old snowblower cluttering their garage.

My dad was a lot like this. He'd ask us kids if our faces hurt, because it's killing him. Or that he found us under a rock or many many more, lol. 

53 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

My dad was a lot like this. He'd ask us kids if our faces hurt, because it's killing him. Or that he found us under a rock or many many more, lol. 

My husband loves to ask the kids if they’ve been eating cookies.……because their face is all crummy. 😂🤦‍♀️

On 11/28/2022 at 4:20 PM, Amulek said:

I'm doubtful the church has a team dedicated to actively monitoring the social media postings of CES employees. There's just too many people and too much information to sift through. More likely, they simply have some sort of process in place to review situations whenever they are reported to the university - same as what happens at other schools whenever students, co-workers, or others find that an employee has said something that is considered to be objectionable.

And for what it's worth, I don't personally consider it "Big Brotherish" for an employer to review the public comments of their employees. Nothing you say on the internet is private. If you don't want your spouse, neighbor, employer, local police department, etc. to know what you really think about them, then don't say it in a public forum.

Maybe it's time for my trademark advice whenever this topic comes up: NEVER put ANYTHING on the Internet that you are not okay with EVERYBODY seeing FOREVER.

Good advice that. Maybe I should consider putting it in my sig. (I've been meaning to put something in there eventually, so I can be like the cool kids.)

They don't have to have a committee to monitor what they say online because as you indicate, the members do that for them. Referred to as the MoPo. Just like students are encouraged to speak out to the honor code office or bishops about their roommates and friends others will also do it to strangers, acquaintances and friends online.  They will call the BYUs or the COB to report on someone's online activity. 

On 11/30/2022 at 5:08 PM, The Nehor said:

I have wanted to kill some of their employees. I am looking at you Facilities Management. You worthless wastes of tithing funds.

Ouch. I just left 20+ years of employment for the Church in facilities management. I left because they changed the department 3 years ago to something very awful. I hope that your experience was with this latest iteration and not what I thought was a better customer oriented program years ago. 

3 minutes ago, bluebell said:

My husband loves to ask the kids if they’ve been eating cookies.……because their face is all crummy. 😂🤦‍♀️

It's hilarious how now my siblings and I always bring up all of his sayings to us, it was endearing in a special way. Some of what my dad would say I didn't understand, like he'd ask, "Did your mom have any kids that lived?" That still stumps me! Here's my dad being my dad. He didn't like being video'd or his photo taken and often we'd get the middle finger. 

https://photos.google.com/u/0/photo/AF1QipMOrnZ3oCwu6S0ZRd23JJra6d-Us-nyB2eCFwn0

6 hours ago, OGHoosier said:

I don't know, my dad got my grandparents to give him an old snowblower because he threatened to sell me off in order to finance one (I was an infant at the time.) ...

What was the asking price for you? :rofl: 

(Sorry.  :huh:  Couldn't resist! :unknw:)

13 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

The FM groups work for the Church, not the other way around. If you have problems with their performance, take it up with Church leaders, be it on a local, regional or general level.

At the end of the day, these workers are fellow Church members. What you don’t do is publicly disparage them on the Internet, and you certainly don’t threaten their lives — not even in jest. 

Yeah, but you see I do do that.

2 hours ago, Kenngo1969 said:

What was the asking price for you? :rofl: 

(Sorry.  :huh:  Couldn't resist! :unknw:)

A snowblower, apparently. Not a very fancy one either.

I was at a discount.

19 minutes ago, OGHoosier said:

A snowblower, apparently. Not a very fancy one either.

I was at a discount.

Hey, at least you're worth a snowblower! ;) 

17 minutes ago, Kenngo1969 said:

Hey, at least you're worth a snowblower! ;) 

That was back when I was cute, depreciation is unfortunately a factor here.

58 minutes ago, OGHoosier said:

That was back when I was cute, depreciation is unfortunately a factor here.

Yeah, I know that feeling ... or ... maybe I don't: Was I ever cute? :huh: :unknw: 

;) :D 

On 12/3/2022 at 8:34 PM, mtomm said:

They don't have to have a committee to monitor what they say online because as you indicate, the members do that for them. Referred to as the MoPo. Just like students are encouraged to speak out to the honor code office or bishops about their roommates and friends others will also do it to strangers, acquaintances and friends online.  They will call the BYUs or the COB to report on someone's online activity. 

Sure. But I'm not sure how that makes BYU any different from any other university. Disgruntled coworkers, students, friends, business acquaintances, etc. across America do the exact same thing every day. Only when it happens at other schools I don't think there's a special name of it. I mean, I suppose when it happens at Harvard we could call it the HarPo, assuming Oprah doesn't come after them; or maybe when Hawaiian Polynesians do it they would be called the HipPo (sorry, probably going to get cancelled for that one, but couldn't resist). ;)