Seriously No Politics ×

Voter day

Chum

Despite Florida's best efforts, we voted. Five of our 6 did anyway.

The sixth got stuck on the address-update site for state IDs. He couldn't get past the boss round (the part where all credit cards are denied, inc ones that worked earlier).

In all candor tho, I did worse on that site than he did. I spent weeks failing to solve the Myst-like challenge to prove identity. I finally opted for the penalty and drove out to the license office.

FL was ready with more traps tho.

The state helpfully offers to update your voter registration when updating ID address. We said Sure! because we're suckers - and so FL got us. They sent our mailing address to the supervisor of elections office, instead of our physical address (it turns out they do this to everyone). Had we gone with what FL assigned to us, we'd would have voted in the wrong county and FL might have gotten it's chance to deploy it's new anti-voter police force against us.

We caught it in time. Suck on that FL.

After all that there was one last pitiful attempt. The county assigned the wrong polling location to son #2 (we all live together). The place was right nearby but he wasn't fooled. He voted where he needed to.

As for next election: I'm confident the legislature is crafting new vote-reducing obstacles. However, we're no longer living in deep poverty. We have the resources to handle whatever FL comes up with.

Looking forward to 2024, FL.

Edited by Chum

Our voting location was this local VFW post.  Oddly, I can't recall ever seeing a Veterans of Domestic Wars post. Hmm.

vfw.jpg

Anyhoo, something else occurred to me. This is FL. We ought to be getting Veterans of Culture Wars posts any time now.

Edited by Chum
2 hours ago, Chum said:

We ought to be getting Veterans of Culture Wars posts any time now.

And what a sorry sight they will be.  Full of the Walking Wounded.

Edited by Calm
8 hours ago, Chum said:

Despite Florida's best efforts, we voted. Five of our 6 did anyway.

The sixth got stuck on the address-update site for state IDs. He couldn't get past the boss round (the part where all credit cards are denied, inc ones that worked earlier).

In all candor tho, I did worse on that site than he did. I spent weeks failing to solve the Myst-like challenge to prove identity. I finally opted for the penalty and drove out to the license office.

FL was ready with more traps tho.

The state helpfully offers to update your voter registration when updating ID address. We said Sure! because we're suckers - and so FL got us. They sent our mailing address to the supervisor of elections office, instead of our physical address (it turns out they do this to everyone). Had we gone with what FL assigned to us, we'd would have voted in the wrong county and FL might have gotten it's chance to deploy it's new anti-voter police force against us.

We caught it in time. Suck on that FL.

After all that there was one last pitiful attempt. The county assigned the wrong polling location to son #2 (we all live together). The place was right nearby but he wasn't fooled. He voted where he needed to.

As for next election: I'm confident the legislature is crafting new vote-reducing obstacles. However, we're no longer living in deep poverty. We have the resources to handle whatever FL comes up with.

Looking forward to 2024, FL.

Bless you Chum, shame on my children for not caring to vote but have plenty to say, and don't realize the importance of voting. Duh!

Glad things are looking up Chum!

I was into the races and for the first time got a sign for the yard, but the wind kept blowing it over, no big deal, my candidate lost in a very tight race.

But I'm still hopeful for our future going forward.

3 hours ago, Tacenda said:

Bless you Chum, shame on my children for not caring to vote but have plenty to say, and don't realize the importance of voting.

Florida's undocumented hurdles to voting are fairly significant and time consuming. I'm fairly fortunate to have the time and resources to work out it all out for my kids.

I feel like after all that work, there was no way I wasn't voting. They may have felt the same.