Seriously No Politics ×

Tithing Slip Change

The disclaimer at the bottom of the tithing slip used to read, "Though reasonable efforts will be made to use donations as designated, all donations become the Church's property and will be used at the Church's sole discretion to further the Church's overall mission."

I just noticed that it has been changed to, "All donations to the Church are free-will offerings and become the Church’s property. In furtherance of its overall mission, the Church may shift donations from any designated use to other uses, at its sole discretion."

Why would the Church eliminate the "reasonable efforts" part of the disclaimer?

20 hours ago, Thinking said:

The disclaimer at the bottom of the tithing slip used to read, "Though reasonable efforts will be made to use donations as designated, all donations become the Church's property and will be used at the Church's sole discretion to further the Church's overall mission."

I just noticed that it has been changed to, "All donations to the Church are free-will offerings and become the Church’s property. In furtherance of its overall mission, the Church may shift donations from any designated use to other uses, at its sole discretion."

I wonder if money was building up in some categories faster than it could be used.  PEF, Book of Mormon, temple construction, temple patron assistance, etc, have all gone away.  If too much money was in one fund it would make sense to shift it to another where is was needed, rather than having it sit unused. 

On 11/6/2022 at 9:50 AM, Thinking said:

"reasonable efforts"  takes too much effort? Easier to just put it all in one bucket at the start and use it wherever it is needed.

On 11/6/2022 at 12:50 PM, Thinking said:

As someone who no longer believes I continued to contribute to FO and humanitarian aid.  But with this nonsense I stopped giving to the LDS Church. If they are not going to use my $$ I give for the designated purpose they will not get my $$.  

9 minutes ago, Teancum said:

As someone who no longer believes I continued to contribute to FO and humanitarian aid.  But with this nonsense I stopped giving to the LDS Church. If they are not going to use my $$ I give for the designated purpose they will not get my $$.  

Seems reasonable.

37 minutes ago, Teancum said:

It seems to me the different donation categories are meaningless, except to note how much tithing one has paid. I'm with you. I'm far less inclined to give fast offerings anymore.

4 minutes ago, jkwilliams said:
42 minutes ago, Teancum said:

It seems to me the different donation categories are meaningless, except to note how much tithing one has paid. I'm with you. I'm far less inclined to give fast offerings anymore.

The church does keep track of how much a ward donates in FO and pays out for members. So it's not completely meaningless. The money still has to come from somewhere.

On 11/7/2022 at 4:05 PM, jkwilliams said:

I always have been a big fan of FO contributions.  The idea is 100% goes directly to assist those in need.  as a former bishop I saw this in action.  But then the change on the donations slip.  I was a big FO contributor even after I became disaffected.  But no longer.  I will give what I used to give to FO to a local foodbank.  At least I know they will use it to feed those who need it.

Edited by Teancum
25 minutes ago, Teancum said:

I always have been a big fan of FO contributions.  The idea is 100% goes directly to assist those in need.  as a former bishop I saw this in action.  But then the change on the donations slip.  I was a big FO contributor even after I became disaffected.  But no longer.  I will give what I used to give to FO to a local foodbank.  At least I now they will use it to feed those who need it.

I'm just thinking how at one point in my life I was completely ok with an organization that would not tell me where my donation money was spent and that did not allow me to publicly question any of its decisions. 

2 hours ago, Teancum said:

Just to let you know - the charity I am with is in the Giving Machine this year.  We just got training info for it. 100% will be given to the charities.  The church is taking care of all costs and credit card fees. If a charity gets too many of one "item" then the charity can use the money for another item, but it must be in the same category - so if someone bought a chicken the money could go to perhaps a pig instead, but not to dance lessons. I love that the church is taking care of the credit card fees.

Edited by Rain
11 minutes ago, Rain said:

Just to let you know - the charity I am with is in the Giving Machine this year.  We just got training info for it. 100% will be given to the charities.  The church is taking care of all costs and credit card fees. If a charity gets too many of one "item" then the charity can use the money for another item, but it must be in the same category - so if someone bought a chicken the money could go to perhaps a pig instead, but not to dance lessons. I love that the church is taking care of the credit card fees.

Is there a financial statement filed from last year for the Giving Machine?