Seriously No Politics ×

Baseless rumor about election fraud by ward in Arizona

6 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

Why would this be news anywhere?  So I can just post on Facebook any type of rant I want and with no backing the news will carry even the allegation? Disgusting. 

Sounds like it’s only news on the Deseret News site. 

Given the church regularly makes bishops read out the political neutrality statements around election times, any ward or stake leader that tries to pull a stunt like this should be immediately released in my opinion.

My guess is if the claimed event did occur, it was probably something like a Sunday School teacher saying that if people were unsure about the voting process, they could bring them to church to get help. 

1 hour ago, MustardSeed said:

Why would this be news anywhere?  So I can just post on Facebook any type of rant I want and with no backing the news will carry even the allegation? Disgusting. 

Welcome to the post-facts Information Age. Remember that beautiful dream of the information superhighway they used to talk about? We were so naive.

I am reminded of the episode of the Orville where they encounter a dystopian planet where upvotes determine truth and downvotes can get you mentally reprogrammed/lobotomized. If you get enough downvotes you are discriminated against. Get way too many and you get a lawyer/social media manager to try to give you a redemption media tour to avoid punishment.

I am hoping that all these recent social media buyouts by men with more money than sense do end up destroying social media for a while as some predict.

Edited by The Nehor
1 hour ago, MustardSeed said:

1 hour ago, jkwilliams said:

Sounds like it’s only news on the Deseret News site. 

I think when a false rumor has already gotten substantial exposure and circulation on social media (as this one apparently had) there is news value in checking it out and publishing a story debunking it. Otherwise the rumor can continue to circulate and wreak yet more havoc. 

6 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I think when a false rumor has already gotten substantial exposure and circulation on social media (as this one apparently had) there is news value in checking it out and publishing a story debunking it. Otherwise the rumor can continue to circulate and wreak yet more havoc. 

I don’t fault the DesNews for debunking it. It just seemed odd to complain that it was covered at all. 

Edited by jkwilliams
5 hours ago, jkwilliams said:

That’s absurd. Looks like the tweet has been deleted. 

It’s puzzling you should say that, because I just now revisited the Deseret News link and clicked on the first tweet reproduced in the article. That took me to Twitter where I saw the tweet fully alive and well in its milieu with thousands of angry responders, apparently most if not all of them uncritically swallowing the rumor with nary an inkling that it might be bogus. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
4 hours ago, JustAnAustralian said:

Given the church regularly makes bishops read out the political neutrality statements around election times, any ward or stake leader that tries to pull a stunt like this should be immediately released in my opinion.

Do you really think there’s anything to this rumor, though? The Deseret News investigation seems to indicate otherwise. The owner of the account propagating the rumor has been contacted multiple times and has failed to respond. Bishops in the area are scoffing at the sheer outlandishness of it. 

9 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

It’s puzzling you should say that, because I just now revisited the Deseret News link and clicked on the first tweet reproduced in the article. That took me to Twitter where I saw the tweet fully alive and well in its milieu with thousands of angry responders, apparently most if not all of them uncritically swallowing the rumor with nary an inkling that it might be bogus. 

Well, that is strange. Last night it said the tweet had been deleted, but now it’s back. Maybe Mr. Musk really is making changes. 

15 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I saw this on the Deseret News site today. Rumor has been circulating on Twitter. 

https://www.deseret.com/2022/10/28/23429174/debunking-rumor-election-fraud-latter-day-saint-mormon-congregation-ward-tucson-arizona

Wow, nothing like a "my sisters, MIL, 2nd cousin, daughter serving a proslyting mission in Main Land China, heard from her Mission President, that a friend said during sacrement meeting...."

US politics has become a joke unto itself. 

12 hours ago, Rain said:

I know nothing of this rumor, but I can tell you a ward member mailed me a paper with everyone he thought we should vote for and included notes of whether they were members of the church.

Did he mail that to everyone in the ward??

1 hour ago, jkwilliams said:

Well, that is strange. Last night it said the tweet had been deleted, but now it’s back. Maybe Mr. Musk really is making changes. 

He doesn’t own it yet. His latest trick in trying to get out of the buyout is saying he is going to lay off three-quarters of the staff when he takes over. Apparently he is under the delusion that the stockholders care about whether employees get to keep their jobs.

4 hours ago, bluebell said:

Did he mail that to everyone in the ward??

That I don't know. Knowing him I'm sure he mailed it to many of us. 

I actually called him this time and told him I didn't want more and that I was disappointed that he included those who were members since that doesn't matter and should never be our sole reason to vote for someone especially since he didn't note that one of the opponents was a member as well. And oddly he actually listened to me about that candidate and felt bad he had said something against him. 

17 hours ago, blackstrap said:

He does now and has let go at least 3 top execs, albeit with very large severence deals. 

Oh, I am behind on news. That went fast. Guess some lawyer convinced him that going to the court in Delaware that considers contracts to be the holy writ of God to try to weasel out of a contract was a fool’s errand.

This is likely going to be hilarious.

https://theintercept.com/2022/10/28/elon-musk-twitter/

17 hours ago, Rain said:

That I don't know. Knowing him I'm sure he mailed it to many of us. 

I actually called him this time and told him I didn't want more and that I was disappointed that he included those who were members since that doesn't matter and should never be our sole reason to vote for someone especially since he didn't note that one of the opponents was a member as well. And oddly he actually listened to me about that candidate and felt bad he had said something against him. 

I was just wondering since using the ward directory for mailing lists is not allowed.  That's nice he was open to considering your perspective.

3 hours ago, The Nehor said:

Oh, I am behind on news. That went fast. Guess some lawyer convinced him that going to the court in Delaware that considers contracts to be the holy writ of God to try to weasel out of a contract was a fool’s errand.

This is likely going to be hilarious.

https://theintercept.com/2022/10/28/elon-musk-twitter/

Just wondering if the “Seriously No Politics Banner” is still appearing on your screen. It is on mine. 

1 hour ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Just wondering if the “Seriously No Politics Banner” is still appearing on your screen. It is on mine. 

A billionaire buying a social media company because he got clowned on by someone on said platform is a political thing now?

Besides the red banner is inconsistent. Sometimes it warns about politics. Sometimes it sends affirming messages. Sometimes it tells me that ‘they’ are watching and I know to be extra careful.