Seriously No Politics ×

Conference Discussions

8 minutes ago, SkyRock said:

Another 2 temples in cities I previously lived in, adding 3 others announced in cities I used to live over the last few conferences.

My current temple is about 30 plus minutes away today.  2 of these 5 temples would have been within a mile of our house.   

I guess we are just planting seeds these days. 

Your current city simply needs to get rid of you, and its [other] Latter-day Saint inhabitants will be ready for a Temple!

;) :D :rofl:

:friends:

All in fun, SkyRock.  All in fun.

2 minutes ago, Kenngo1969 said:

I'm not ... NOT ... NOT ...

... getting ready to start my own church ...

... claiming revelation to which the Brethren do not have access ...

... saying the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is in apostasy ...

... [insert some other completely-off-the-rails idea here] ...

But does anyone else get the idea that President Nelson has more he wishes to share with us [once we're ready], want to take us to the next level [whatever that is, and I'm sure I'm not in-tune enough to fathom it], is holding back, and so on?

Never mind! :huh: 

It's probably just me. :unknw:

He did seem reticent at the end of conference today and got emotional like he wanted to say something or he just loves us! :)

10 minutes ago, Bernard Gui said:

Thanks for remembering. It would have been in our backyard.….but a year ago we moved to Kentucky! The Louisville temple is 90 minutes away.

It's crazy how many people have moved out of state! Well, actually, it's not crazy. Our state is crazy.  :( 

37 minutes ago, MorningStar said:

It's crazy how many people have moved out of state! Well, actually, it's not crazy. Our state is crazy.  :( 

All the sane people can't desert the state ... at least, not yet.  Hang in there, MorningStar! :friends:

:)

1 hour ago, Kenngo1969 said:

I'm not ... NOT ... NOT ...

... getting ready to start my own church ...

... claiming revelation to which the Brethren do not have access ...

... saying the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is in apostasy ...

... [insert some other completely-off-the-rails idea here] ...

But does anyone else get the idea that President Nelson has more he wishes to share with us [once we're ready], want to take us to the next level [whatever that is, and I'm sure I'm not in-tune enough to fathom it], is holding back, and so on?

Never mind! :huh: 

It's probably just me. :unknw:

Sorry about that. Maybe if I wasn’t listening he would have gone ahead and shared.

19 minutes ago, Peacefully said:

On r/latterdaysaints many members are saying it felt like he was saying goodbye:( 

That’s what I said to my daughter in that moment, but maybe because the hymn reminds me of funerals and I knew that song was following.  
Daughter was already crying when I said it so she had thought it before I spoke. 

12 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

Is it okay to have tattoos and piercings now? Many out there online are saying it's okay now, but just didn't believe it.

The thing about tattoos and piercings was never meant to be a prophetic edict that all members must follow. It was simply counsel from the the church leaders to help people realize that they should treat their bodies as the temples God says they are. Such things would never keep a member out of the temple as long as they could otherwise answer the recommend question correctly.

4 hours ago, CV75 said:

Maybe so, I'll have to read the transcript / watch the recorded message and see if I need to repent. I do acknowledge there are many ways that people might share lessons learned from such tragedies. Having faced similar experiences, I do not make jokes about what I learned from them (they are sacred to me, and testaments of the Lord's atonement and victory over sin and death), as completely forgiven and healed as I am of my guilt. I interpreted his reaction to the first peal of laughter as being gracious toward the ignorant, and I did not hear the second lesson learned to discern whether it made sense to laugh again. 

To be fair I do. His talk really spoke to me and my circumstance. I was recently in the hospital to manage a concern I've had before that led to serious health problems that haunted me for the better part of a year. I told the doc/nurse there that I manage concerns with an increase of sarcasm and humor, to help them realize that that's how I cope and get through things, not that this wasn't serious at the same time. I got a surgery later to reduce the likelihood of the my worst fears coming true and the entire time leading up to it, I was cracking jokes and sarcastic comments with some of the docs/anesthesiologists. 

I listened to the talk and I did chuckle a little (it was a sharp turn in tone though). For me at least laughter and pain aren't all that separated it makes the latter far more bearable. I'm assuming there were plenty of people like me in the audience. And Morrison may be a bit like that too. 

With luv,

BD

1 hour ago, Ginger Snaps said:

That was the vibe I got. I hope I’m wrong and he gets to stay a little longer. 

I remember a talk Hinckley gave at a temple dedication that had serious goodbye vibes. He didn't die for at least 5 more years. Nelson is 98 though....he's aging astoundingly well from the looks of it, so I'm hoping he'll get a few more good years. 

2 hours ago, Peacefully said:

On r/latterdaysaints many members are saying it felt like he was saying goodbye:( 

Has any prophet [as in, any President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints] ever done that? :huh: :unsure: :unknw:  I think, as general rules: (1) they don't know; and/or (2) if they did know, I doubt they would try to signal the Saints in the manner that (some of) those on r/latterdaysaints, apparently, are suggesting.*  I think the Lord probably would say, "When I need you, I'll call you home.  Until the very nanosecond I do that, your place is there on earth, and there is work to be done!  Get to it!"  And I don't think anyone understands that better than Doctor/President Russell M. Nelson.

*The closest we have, I think, to anything like that in the modern dispensation is President Howard W. Hunter.  As I recall, it was pretty well known that he had metastatic cancer, so I think it would have been/was common knowledge that he wasn't long for the earth.

3 hours ago, Kenngo1969 said:

All the sane people can't desert the state ... at least, not yet.  Hang in there, MorningStar! :friends:

We had to get out of Washington. Too crazy!

Elder Holland met with mayor of Tacoma yesterday. 

Edited by Bernard Gui
4 hours ago, MorningStar said:

You can say that again! It’s so different in Kentucky….in a good way. 

1 hour ago, BlueDreams said:

To be fair I do. His talk really spoke to me and my circumstance. I was recently in the hospital to manage a concern I've had before that led to serious health problems that haunted me for the better part of a year. I told the doc/nurse there that I manage concerns with an increase of sarcasm and humor, to help them realize that that's how I cope and get through things, not that this wasn't serious at the same time. I got a surgery later to reduce the likelihood of the my worst fears coming true and the entire time leading up to it, I was cracking jokes and sarcastic comments with some of the docs/anesthesiologists. 

I listened to the talk and I did chuckle a little (it was a sharp turn in tone though). For me at least laughter and pain aren't all that separated it makes the latter far more bearable. I'm assuming there were plenty of people like me in the audience. And Morrison may be a bit like that too. 

With luv,

BD

Same. While I felt like I was literally being shredded inside I was using morbid humor to stay sane. The doctor said it sounded like I was feeling better and reached for the painkiller IV. I grabbed his wrist and said I was feeling much much worse. Thankfully he believed me and didn’t think I was a drug-seeking weirdo. I mean, I was a drug-seeking weirdo, but it was in service of not grabbing the nearest sharp thing and cutting into my body to either fix the problem or die. Either sounded good.

5 hours ago, MorningStar said:

5 hours ago, Kenngo1969 said:

1 hour ago, Bernard Gui said:

We had to get out of Washington. Too crazy!

Elder Holland met with mayor of Tacoma yesterday. 

I hear you, Brother.  I hear you.  I don't blame anyone in such a situation for saying, "Hasten Zion!"