Seriously No Politics ×

Conference Discussions

Elder Oaks said "in 1831 less than two year after the reorganized church was organized"

I wonder if he meant to say after the "restored church was organized" ? Reorganized make me think of the Community of Christ's former name.
Or is what he said a proper way to refer to it also?

1 hour ago, Rain said:

With Elder Uchtdorfs talk I quickly opened and skimmed the new For the Strength of Youth.  I would have to read it more closely, but I love it so far.  Much more principle based and less application based. 

Same here. My teenagers were surprised when I told the “open your phones” since phones are typically off during conference. I’ve only skimmed the pamphlet so far but really like it’s approach. 

17 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

I liked when Pres Nelson greeted Wendy afterwards and she gave him a quick kiss on the lips. 

I missed that.  Reminds me of hearing of President and Sister McKay holding hands a lot. 

I didn't even notice this while he was speaking. He was sitting on a chair and posted this message on social media:
"What a marvelous first session of general conference we have had! I felt spiritually renewed as I listened to those who spoke. They were absolutely inspiring, and I am certain the next four sessions will be equally wonderful. 
Some noticed that I sat on a chair to deliver my message this morning. What a help that was! The other day it occurred to me that I have been alive during nearly half of the number of years since The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was organized in 1830. That is a lot of years—even though I don’t feel old. My wife Wendy insists that she still can’t get me to act my age. But I will admit that sometimes even small adjustments—such as a chair—help those of us who “age on stage.”
I may not ski black diamond runs anymore, but whether standing or seated, I delight in speaking and hearing words of truth. And this weekend will be filled with them. I hope you will join me in savoring the beautiful messages that still lie ahead."

5 hours ago, JAHS said:

Elder Oaks said "in 1831 less than two year after the reorganized church was organized"

I wonder if he meant to say after the "restored church was organized" ? Reorganized make me think of the Community of Christ's former name.
Or is what he said a proper way to refer to it also?

I think it’s quite clear he made an error in wording. 

It’s a common error when you have two different words in mind for a sentence to inadvertently use the same word twice. 

1 hour ago, JAHS said:

I didn't even notice this while he was speaking. He was sitting on a chair and posted this message on social media:
"What a marvelous first session of general conference we have had! I felt spiritually renewed as I listened to those who spoke. They were absolutely inspiring, and I am certain the next four sessions will be equally wonderful. 
Some noticed that I sat on a chair to deliver my message this morning. What a help that was! The other day it occurred to me that I have been alive during nearly half of the number of years since The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was organized in 1830. That is a lot of years—even though I don’t feel old. My wife Wendy insists that she still can’t get me to act my age. But I will admit that sometimes even small adjustments—such as a chair—help those of us who “age on stage.”
I may not ski black diamond runs anymore, but whether standing or seated, I delight in speaking and hearing words of truth. And this weekend will be filled with them. I hope you will join me in savoring the beautiful messages that still lie ahead."

I hadn’t noticed either. My wife showed me the social media post, which appeared so promptly, it is obvious the plan was to post it immediately after the session concluded. Probably, assistants did the posting for him. 

A wise move, say I. It may have headed off a lot of gossipy chatter about President Nelson’s health condition. The man is, after all, just a couple years shy of 100. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
2 hours ago, JAHS said:

Prophetic counsel that I think means I can still keep acting like I am in my 20s.

22 hours ago, Rain said:

With Elder Uchtdorfs talk I quickly opened and skimmed the new For the Strength of Youth.  I would have to read it more closely, but I love it so far.  Much more principle based and less application based. 

Maybe it's just me, but I thought the choir numbers sounded peppier and brisker than usual -- which I liked!

On 10/1/2022 at 10:40 AM, Rain said:

I like this approach. I would like to see this used throughout the church. Teach a principle and the let members manage their own decisions.  For example, could the WoW say to avoid hot drinks (not by commandment) and make room for members to drink tea and coffee and still have healthy bodies?  (That actually sounds how the WoW was written, but pharisaic teachings crept in and changed it).

5 minutes ago, 2BizE said:

I like this approach. I would like to see this used throughout the church. Teach a principle and the let members manage their own decisions.  For example, could the WoW say to avoid hot drinks (not by commandment) and make room for members to drink tea and coffee and still have healthy bodies?  (That actually sounds how the WoW was written, but pharisaic teachings crept in and changed it).

Maybe then it would invite us to pause before indulging in unmentioned unhealthy practices