On the "F&^% the Mormons" Chant at the BYU Game

smac97

Lol “mainstream media”.

I am quite happy to have spent the last decade watching “big news” crack, crumble, and fade into obsolescence and irrelevancy.  

@teddyaware, I suspect you and I probably are on the same side of various fences. I suggest you consider the notion that we’ve won here.  When CNN now routinely loses to the cooking channel in certain time slots, it’s time to think about a victory lap.

The story hit the Washington Post, ESPN, and even went international.  Making points about CNN is like picking on an Alzheimer’s patient at this point.

https://news.google.com/search?for=usc+mormon+chant&hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen

Edited by LoudmouthMormon
9 hours ago, teddyaware said:

Since this morning, I’ve conducted a thorough search of YouTube using a variety of search terms and various expressions, and it appears I was exactly correct in my previous post on this subject. So unless someone can effectively demonstrate otherwise, it appears that there have been virtually no televised and video outlet reports published by the national mainstream news media on the BYU-Oregon f-bomb controversy, the lone exception being a minimal amount of televised coverage by Fox News.

Therefore, what appeared to be an impressive list of news organizations that covered the story proves to actually be pathetically minimal, especially when compared to the salivating mainstream media news coverage of the Rachel Richardson-Lesa Pamplin racial slur story.

Another mainstream media failure in this regard is that the obscene anti-Mormon chant story should have been used as an object lesson to demonstrate to a bitterly divided nation the kind of hateful behavior that can be stirred up when people spread defamatory racial lies about a whole class of innocent people who did nothing wrong. 

Labeled top stories and at the very top result and from 2 days ago:

CNN

From my experience most videos will be at the top of the written news story, but 99% of the time will have a commercial first.  That is the case here.  

Since this morning, I’ve conducted a thorough search of YouTube using a variety of search terms and various expressions, and it appears I was exactly correct in my previous post on this subject. So unless someone can effectively demonstrate otherwise, it appears that there have been virtually no televised and video outlet reports published by the national mainstream news media on the BYU-Oregon f-bomb controversy, the lone exception being a minimal amount of televised coverage by Fox News.

Therefore, what appeared to be an impressive list of news organizations that covered the story proves to actually be pathetically minimal, especially when compared to the salivating mainstream media news coverage of the Rachel Richardson-Lesa Pamplin racial slur story.

Look harder.

Another mainstream media failure in this regard is that the obscene anti-Mormon chant story should have been used as an object lesson to demonstrate to a bitterly divided nation the kind of hateful behavior that can be stirred up when people spread defamatory racial lies about a whole class of innocent people who did nothing wrong. 

Life isn’t a Sunday School object lesson. The news media’s job is not to teach object lessons. A couple of people shouted a hateful phrase at one game. It is almost analogous to the petty hate that led to the “Let’s go Brandon” motto that a lot of simpletons thought was the height of comedy. It is the same kind of meaningless drivel.

Wow, do Mormons still exist? I ask because current leadership is seeking the ban the use of the word “Mormon” from both our minds and lips. I once used the term in Church talk about a year ago, when someone half my age chided me for using the term. After I explained it was not his place to do such a thing, he then reminded me that the term “Home Teacher”, no longer exists, although when my Home Teacher calls me, it still refers to himself as my “Home Teacher”. While trying to remain calm, my wife asked me to come with her right away, as she could see that I was “winding up”, as she calls it. About two years ago, I made mention of being a High Priest, during a conversation. To my surprise a very young retuned missionary said, “the Elders are in charge now”. Just before he tried to suggest, I was no longer a High Priest”, I just turned and walked away! Anyway, so sorry that teams (or fans of other teams) would say such a thing, truly tragic, and most especially rude. 

2 hours ago, The Nehor said:

Look harder.

Life isn’t a Sunday School object lesson. The news media’s job is not to teach object lessons. A couple of people shouted a hateful phrase at one game. It is almost analogous to the petty hate that led to the “Let’s go Brandon” motto that a lot of simpletons thought was the height of comedy. It is the same kind of meaningless drivel.

But...but...he REALLY wants to be right about his assertion of an out of balance treatment of BYU and the Church!

I know someone who went to that game and when I heard this headline my heart dropped and I panicked for a good moment because I imagined the entire crowd thundering curses in unison and this person and every other Latter Day Saint there helpless to primordial intimidation. Forced at a football game to witness end times. It felt terrible

and then I saw the video, read the article, settled down and thought, jeez… these guys probably hadn’t ever even heard the term “Mormon” until someone mentioned it from a few rows over 🙄

Edited by Alexi Nakatology

I believe I said this in the other thread where we were discussing these events, but this doesn't bother me in the least.

By design, BYU is chock-full of Mormons.

As such, when our sports teams go to play opponents they might very well encounter somebody (or groups of somebodies) yelling out "F- the Mormons!" or something similar.

Personally, I don't see a significant difference here, in either meaning or intent, between "F- the Mormons!" and "F- the Cougars!"

It's just something people say. I'm okay with that. 

If they were playing Florida State I wouldn't have any problem with them yelling "F- the Seminoles!" either. And I wouldn't expect a formal apology from the university or expect any of the identified suspects to be hauled off to sensitivity training about Native Americans...I mean, Indigenous Peoples or whatever it is we're supposed to call Indians now. ;)

41 minutes ago, Amulek said:

I believe I said this in the other thread where we were discussing these events, but this doesn't bother me in the least.

As such, when our sports teams go to play opponents they might very well encounter somebody (or groups of somebodies) yelling out "F- the Mormons!" or something similar.

Personally, I don't see a significant difference here, in either meaning or intent, between "F- the Mormons!" and "F- the Cougars!"

I don't think we have ever heard stories about opponents of Notre Dame chanting "F^%$ the Catholics!", despite the school being pretty closely associated with the Catholic Church.  Or of opponents of Baylor chanting "F$^% the Baptists!", or of opponents of Yeshiva University (Division III, but anyway...) chanting "F$^% the Jews!"

So I guess I do see a significant difference between "F- the Mormons!" and "F- the Cougars!"  That said, however, I'm not very inclined to impute much into this incident.  College kids can say and do dumb things, particularly when caught up in a crowd and in a high-emotion atmosphere (like a football game) and when alcohol was likely a component.  The Latter-day Saints, in the abstract and collectively, are not viewed favorably by sizable portions of the country.  Nothing new here.

Thanks,

-Smac

Edited by smac97
16 minutes ago, Amulek said:

It's just something people say. I'm okay with that. 

If they were playing Florida State I wouldn't have any problem with them yelling "F- the Seminoles!" either. And I wouldn't expect a formal apology from the university or expect any of the identified suspects to be hauled off to sensitivity training about Native Americans...I mean, Indigenous Peoples or whatever it is we're supposed to call Indians now. ;)

For me, the difference is that BYU, while a "mormon school", has little connection to most Mormons.  If the term was somewhere in the name of the school or it's team, then sure, that would make it similar to your example with the Florida Seminoles, but it's not anywhere in the name, so your example falls really flat for me.  I mean, the name of the team is the Florida Seminoles.  So F the Seminoles is a chant that specifically applies to the school and not the tribe.  The only apples to apples comparison would be if Oregon had yelled F the Cougars.  Which they didn't. 

A true comparison to what Oregon did would be someone yelling F the Catholics at a Notre Dame game or F the Jews at an event against Yeshiva College.  I can see why some immature students would do it, but I would never be ok with that either.

Is the Church and BYU being too nice?

Mormons are used to turning the other cheek. But that’s not ending bigotry

Regardless, after this most recent round of chants, it’s time to ask, as Coppins seems to, whether too much good humor in the face of vulgar entertainment and displays of public bigotry and a rash of church vandalism — including the attempted burning of a temple in July — can also unintentionally normalize or even enable that bigotry.

There’s of course a balance to strike in the case of the Oregon chants. There are wise reasons for the First Amendment’s strong protections of speech, even deeply offensive speech, in public places. And yet, if you can publicly chant “F--- the Mormons” with only minimal social consequences, it’s time for Latter-day Saints to collectively push, as Aubrey sought to do, for greater and more immediate action. Especially from school officials when animosity flares on campuses.

I don’t believe people should have to walk on eggshells for fear of giving offense where none is intended. Nor do I believe a pluralistic society survives very long on extended cycles of entrenched identitarian grievances. Turning the other cheek remains both a sublime Christian admonition and, secularly speaking, just good advice.

But I don’t believe it violates that principle to ask universities to live up to what they claim to be — diverse and inclusive environments.

---------------------

His main point seems to be that if we keep turning the other cheek and don't fight back at least a little bit, people will continue to hit the other cheek over and over again, and think it's OK to do so. 

1 hour ago, bluebell said:

For me, the difference is that BYU, while a "mormon school", has little connection to most Mormons.  If the term was somewhere in the name of the school or it's team, then sure, that would make it similar to your example with the Florida Seminoles, but it's not anywhere in the name, so your example falls really flat for me.  I mean, the name of the team is the Florida Seminoles.  So F the Seminoles is a chant that specifically applies to the school and not the tribe.  The only apples to apples comparison would be if Oregon had yelled F the Cougars.  Which they didn't. 

A true comparison to what Oregon did would be someone yelling F the Catholics at a Notre Dame game or F the Jews at an event against Yeshiva College.  I can see why some immature students would do it, but I would never be ok with that either.

Especially since, as has been pointed out, many Latter-day Saints attended the university of Oregon.