Patrick Mason on Mormon Stories

7 minutes ago, Calm said:

I have heard a few exceptions being made for engaged couples where one unexpectedly dies before the wedding, but a divorce couple being sealed seems inappropriate to me as could be used as a threat if allowed. I think of both are dead and their kids seal them, that would be very different, but all the children should agree before it was done.  It can always be done later if meant to be. 

Since it would only be confirmed by the Spirit if both were happy about it and wanted it, it is the effect on the living I am concerned about.

I know my grandma was sealed after death to her biological parents who married and divorced after she was conceived, her adopted parents and her biological mom and step dad so I'm assuming that her biological parents were sealed to each other as well (I would have to look it up).  But they do more of that after death I think than with one spouse living.

46 minutes ago, Calm said:

I have heard a few exceptions being made for engaged couples where one unexpectedly dies before the wedding, but a divorce couple being sealed seems inappropriate to me as could be used as a threat if allowed. I think of both are dead and their kids seal them, that would be very different, but all the children should agree before it was done.  It can always be done later if meant to be. 

Since it would only be confirmed by the Spirit if both were happy about it and wanted it, it is the effect on the living I am concerned about.

I was confused too when she told us she had it done, I mean they got divorced in life, clearly something went katywampus and death wouldn't change anything. he passed away and so he couldn't agree to it anyway. I figure maybe they did it to get her off their backs! Their daughters aren't members so I doubt they'd care, but who knows

47 minutes ago, Duncan said:

I was confused too when she told us she had it done, I mean they got divorced in life, clearly something went katywampus and death wouldn't change anything. he passed away and so he couldn't agree to it anyway. I figure maybe they did it to get her off their backs! Their daughters aren't members so I doubt they'd care, but who knows

She might have taken in her marriage certificate and his death certificate and claimed she was a widow. Maybe that is how she thought of herself. Do they check databases or trust certificates?  Or would her divorce status be on her membership record?

8 minutes ago, Calm said:

She might have taken in her marriage certificate and his death certificate and claimed she was a widow. Maybe that is how she thought of herself. Do they check databases or trust certificates?  Or would her divorce status be on her membership record?

I dunno-this was maybe 2016ish

On 9/20/2022 at 11:38 PM, Tacenda said:

Listening to apostle Joseph B Wirthlin's grandson on the recent MS podcast, he has nothing but wonderful things to say about his granddad, his word. :)

If he didn't use his granddad as a brickbat to beat up the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, I might be more inclined to listen, Alas! :unknw:  Read the summary, that was more than enough for me.  Although reading the summary required 1:47 of my life that I will never, ever get back, certainly, that's better than spending six hours of my life that I'll never get back.

2 hours ago, Kenngo1969 said:

If he didn't use his granddad as a brickbat to beat up the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, I might be more inclined to listen, Alas! :unknw:  Read the summary, that was more than enough for me.  Although reading the summary required 1:47 of my life that I will never, ever get back, certainly, that's better than spending six hours of my life that I'll never get back.

To each their own, he does share some interesting fun stories though. Like how when he went on his mission and it was told to the companion and maybe others missionaries at the MTC in England that he was an apostle's grandson which turned his companion into a big tattle tale. First for falling asleep during a meeting the first night (he hadn't slept for 36 hours), to speaking to another missionary past bedtime and silly things almost twice a day he was called in to speak with the MTC president and the president apologized for having to call him in after being tattled on once again. Then got revenge when his companion was in the shower and was able to swipe his clothes so he had to wear his birthday suit back to the dorm. Then begged to get a companion that didn't know he was an apostle's grandson. So got a transfer with a trio and when another apostle came to speak the apostle called him out amongst a huge group of missionaries at a meeting so it started all over again and his companions thought he was a spy because they may have broken some minor missionary rules.

40 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

To each their own, he does share some interesting fun stories though.

I’m sure you loved those stories!

Pres Hinckley’s grandson served in my mission and was my district leader. He was a nice bloke. The end.

For some reason, I prefer that story …

24 minutes ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

Pres Hinckley’s grandson served in my mission and was my district leader. He was a nice bloke. The end.

Really wasn't saying it was a fantastic, can't miss story just making conversation. The jist of the experience of being Elder Worthlin's grandson was not enough time with his granddad. But really, don't listen, either of you. He never tears the church down, but maybe to those members/leaders that can't handle some advice it's a bit difficult to listen to. The guy is a good person but maybe any body on the podcast lessens your trust I guess.

36 minutes ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

Maybe I didn't make it clearer the apostle that attended the large missionary meeting introduced him as Elder Worthlin's grandson because he was an admirer of his grandfather. And it once again made his mission very difficult. If you could empathize with that possibly. And he said he was put on a higher plane where everyone expected him to be better than he was. And a better student or someone that was more knowledgeable and more spiritual. How would you like that? 

Many years ago a grandson of Elder Wirthlin would post on here, I don't think his name was Greg though, his handle was St. Balthasar-something like that. I think that Thomas Wirthlin McConkie is also a grandson of Elder Wirthlin

16 minutes ago, Duncan said:

Many years ago a grandson of Elder Wirthlin would post on here, I don't think his name was Greg though, his handle was St. Balthasar-something like that. I think that Thomas Wirthlin McConkie is also a grandson of Elder Wirthlin

Hum, that's interesting that it wasn't mentioned because Thomas McConkie has been on the MS's podcast awhile back, that's odd unless I missed it.  

5 hours ago, Calm said:

I was wondering this too. 

On 9/22/2022 at 7:12 PM, Duncan said:

Your memory is much better than mine.

https://www.mormondialogue.org/profile/1191-stbalthasar/

Google only came up with this from him, good chance other posts were deleted (for those not around back then, this was not because of nastiness; for many years, the board could hold only so many threads and periodically most were deleted besides a chosen few, so much fewer earlier posts are still around)

https://www.mormondialogue.org/topic/6896-priestcraft/?do=findComment&comment=173620

Edited by Calm
12 hours ago, Tacenda said:

Really wasn't saying it was a fantastic, can't miss story just making conversation. The jist of the experience of being Elder Worthlin's grandson was not enough time with his granddad. But really, don't listen, either of you. He never tears the church down, but maybe to those members/leaders that can't handle some advice it's a bit difficult to listen to. The guy is a good person but maybe any body on the podcast lessens your trust I guess.

Oh, please!  <_< :rolleyes: 

Way to go all Jack Nicholson, Colonel Jessup from A Few Good Men on us, Tacenda!  You got us!  The only reason we don't care to listen to John Dehlin is ...

image.jpeg.ae3f1ec26f7daa1a1563a68796d1290a.jpeg

There are only 24 hours in a day, Tacenda, for any of us!  Everybody has to set priorities!  Everybody!  And you probably would disagree with 99 percent of those priorities if you knew any of our daily itineraries in detail!  Big whoop!  Oh, noes! :huh:  Tacenda disagrees with my priorities! :unsure:  Whatever shall I dooooooo????!!!  If you want to listen to John Dehlin, wall to wall, every waking moment of every day, knock yourself out!  But we heard it all already, long before Mr. Dehlin became "podcast and anti-Mormon famous" and long before you got here!

Geez!

13 hours ago, Kenngo1969 said:

Way to go all Jack Nicholson, Colonel Jessup from A Few Good Men on us, Tacenda!  You got us!  The only reason we don't care to listen to John Dehlin is ...

There are only 24 hours in a day, Tacenda, for any of us!  Everybody has to set priorities!  Everybody!  And you probably would disagree with 99 percent of those priorities if you knew any of our daily itineraries in detail!  Big whoop!  Oh, noes! :huh:  Tacenda disagrees with my priorities! :unsure:  Whatever shall I dooooooo????!!!  If you want to listen to John Dehlin, wall to wall, every waking moment of every day, knock yourself out!  But we heard it all already, long before Mr. Dehlin became "podcast and anti-Mormon famous" and long before you got here!

Geez!

I think I have an aneurysm after reading this post, lol! No, please don't waste your time watching JD crap! haha!

I am a FB dummy here, hopefully by my sharing this Watch/Facebook you can't see my identity, if anyone can do you mind letting me know. I love what Patrick says here! He's no fundamentalist when it comes to scripture, yessss! ETA: chickened out in case my identity shows up. Love that he feels he'll pick and choose which scriptures to believe. 

Edited by Tacenda
On 9/23/2022 at 7:12 AM, Kenngo1969 said:

Geez!

Quoting you twice in a row here, sorry. Just want you to know I don't enjoy Mormon Stories as much as you might think. And will pick and choose with care what I listen to. But my very favorite is these two women that are active believing members' podcast. And the one about women prophetesses is something that I hope all, especially women, listen to. The power of women has been stripped from them, even a prophetess in the Bible was changed to be a man! And if this power weren't stripped long ago then and now, I wonder how this world could have been. And they mention that Christ was a huge proponent of women and then these so called kings/prophets etc. didn't want them to have any power, they wanted to rule over women. And it's too bad the church couldn't have broke out of that mold and concentrate more on these women spoken of in the podcast. https://atlastshesaidit.org/episode-097-christ-chose-women/

And if any women on this board care to share it more widely on the board, it's never too late for our daughters, granddaughters, nieces....

Edited by Tacenda
18 hours ago, Tacenda said:

I think I have an aneurysm after reading this post, lol! No, please don't waste your time watching JD crap! haha!

I'm sorry about your aneurism.  I hope you heal well.