Seriously No Politics ×

Dinner with a Prophet

50 minutes ago, blackstrap said:

Several posters on this thread have indicated why they wanted a particular prophet at dinner  , to ask a lot of " why " questions. 

Ok, we have read intentions differently then.  The OP asked, "Why would you invite him? What would you like to talk about?"

Without those questions I probably would have answered differently.  I actually didn't see anyone asking "why" interogation questions and that wouldn't have been my intent. 

I would have left things more open ended like, "I would love to understand more about women in the church. Would you please tell me about things you feel it is important for women to understand?"

17 hours ago, Metis_LDS said:

I would invite whoever will be the President of the Church when Christ returns to the earth.  We would have traditional Quebec meat pies followed by hot Maple syrup taffy serve on snow.

What? No poutine?

9 hours ago, sunstoned said:

If we could expand this to include apostles, then I would like to meet and talk with Hugh B. Brown or LeGrand Richards, or J. Golden Kimball.  All very interesting people.

Elder Richards was one of my favorite Conference speakers.

Edited by Bernard Gui
On 9/2/2022 at 1:56 AM, MustardSeed said:

Anyone but BY.  Probably the present one, and I’d ask about his marriages.  

Id make salmon with my smoker and roasted veggies.  All heart healthy. 

I woulD love to talk with Brother Brigham. 

3 hours ago, Metis_LDS said:

Everyone knows (In Quebec) serving poutine to a Prophet is a social faux pas.

Heresy. Prepare yourself for the Inquisition.

Edited by Bernard Gui
4 minutes ago, Metis_LDS said:

No one ever expects the Spanish Inquisition.

Ummmm…..the Mormon Inquisition, if you please.

On 9/1/2022 at 11:22 PM, Bernard Gui said:

If you could ask one Prophet of the Restoration to your home for dinner, which one would you invite?

Gordon B. Hinkley.

Why would you invite him?

Because he was quick witted and funny, and I think he and his wife would fit right in at our house. 

What would you like to talk about?

Honestly? Just regular, every day stuff. 

What would you prepare for dinner?

BBQ. Obviously. And then finish up with some homemade pie for dessert. 

1 hour ago, Metis_LDS said:

I surrender!!!

Wise choice, brother. Sing Popcorn Popping on the Apricot Tree 10 times and watch three BYU football games without any treats.

Edited by Bernard Gui
On 9/1/2022 at 10:22 PM, Bernard Gui said:

If you could ask one Prophet of the Restoration to your home for dinner, which one would you invite? Why would you invite him? What would you like to talk about? What would you prepare for dinner?

I found myself at lunch on one occasion with President Hinckley. It was not by prearrangement, just happenstance. 

I was covering the dedication of the Columbia South Carolina Temple for the Church News and was booked into the same hotel as the visiting Church leaders. Waiting in line for the buffet at the hotel restaurant, I was approached by the prophet’s personal secretary, who recognized me, and asked if I would like to join him, President Hinckley, and others of the traveling party. 

I’m a tad embarrassed to say I felt tongue tied during lunch and couldn’t think of anything to say that was appropriate for the occasion and setting. 

At one point, he spontaneously asked, “Well, Scott, have you heard the news? We sold ZCMI yesterday.” 

This was true. The Church had just divested itself of the department store chain that had its roots in a mercantile co-op in pioneer-era Utah. It was before the news had broken back in Salt Lake City, so I was hearing it early — and firsthand from the president of the Church. 

8 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I found myself at lunch on one occasion with President Hinckley. It was not by prearrangement, just happenstance. 

I was covering the dedication of the Columbia South Carolina Temple for the Church News and was booked into the same hotel as the visiting Church leaders. Waiting in line for the buffet at the hotel restaurant, I was approached by the prophet’s personal secretary, who recognized me, and asked if I would like to join him, President Hinckley, and others of the traveling party. 

I’m a tad embarrassed to say I felt tongue tied during lunch and couldn’t think of anything to say that was appropriate for the occasion and setting. 

At one point, he spontaneously asked, “Well, Scott, have you heard the news? We sold ZCMI yesterday.” 

This was true. The Church had just divested itself of the department store chain that had its roots in a mercantile co-op in pioneer-era Utah. It was before the news had broken back in Salt Lake City, so I was hearing it early — and firsthand from the president of the Church. 

Do you remember what he ordered?

You got a scoop……….of ice cream?

1 hour ago, Bernard Gui said:

Do you remember what he ordered?

You got a scoop……….of ice cream?

It was a buffet, and I only remember an incident pertaining to the dessert. 

President Hinckley’s devoted and vigilant daughter was traveling with him. She had selected the same dessert from the buffet that he did, and tasted it first. To her consternation, she found that it was mocha flavored — meaning it likely contained coffee. The personal secretary hastily returned to the dessert bar and selected a different dessert for the prophet. 

On 9/2/2022 at 12:22 AM, Bernard Gui said:

If you could ask one Prophet of the Restoration to your home for dinner, which one would you invite? Why would you invite him? What would you like to talk about? What would you prepare for dinner?

Joseph Smith.  Hands down.

2 hours ago, jkwilliams said:

If you had Joseph Smith over for dinner, he’d probably be up for a beer. 

I doubt that very much.

4 hours ago, jkwilliams said:

He was known to drink beer and wine. Why would that change?

Because no one sits static and fails to change over time, least wise the Prophet of the Restoration. 

Unless you are fantasizing about time travel, we can assume that Joseph Smith today would be onboard with all the teachings that have been given by revelation to the Latter-day Saints over the years up to this very moment in time. 

4 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Because no one sits static and fails to change over time, least wise the Prophet of the Restoration. 

Unless you are fantasizing about time travel, we can assume that Joseph Smith today would be onboard with all the teachings that have been given by revelation to the Latter-day Saints over the years up to this very moment in time. 

I guess I don’t assume that.