Seriously No Politics ×

Dinner with a Prophet

If you could ask one Prophet of the Restoration to your home for dinner, which one would you invite? Why would you invite him? What would you like to talk about? What would you prepare for dinner?

Edited by Bernard Gui

Joseph Smith, he is the most interesting one for me, but also the one I know best.  And I want to hear about his visions of heaven.

I would ask him his favorite take out and if he was clueless, get either Asian or pizza with root beer floats.  Gone are the days I can cook and socialize in the same evening.

Unless my daughter in law decides she wants to do us proud…then maybe shrimp scampi with my son’s homemade rolls and a fun fruit drink, maybe crepes for dessert.  Or Ginger Beef, the thing I miss most about Canada after the scenery and the weather…and the people.  :) 

Though I could make my family famous waffles.  Waffles are an important part of our family heritage as everyone in creation loved my grandma’s waffles.  I got her recipe but it never tasted the same, I am guessing she wasn’t so precise and added more butter and buttermilk than the recipe called for, they were so tender.  Anyway, I devoted the first 15 years of my marriage searching for the perfect waffle recipe, found it using heavy cream in a French recipe book (I bought massive cookbooks just for their slightly different waffle recipe) and then experimented with healthier versions and ended up just using the standard Betty Crocker waffle recipe like grandma used to use, but using whole milk, butter, and adding a cup of whole milk plain yogurt to a double batch.  For the last couple of years, when we want extra lightness and more protein, I substitute 1/4 to 1/2 almond flour.

My waffles are good enough for a prophet and I can make up a triple batch ahead of time ready to be cooked, so can be plenty rested.  My husband no doubt would make scrambled eggs and bacon to go with it.  We would get the fresh squeezed OJ to go along with milk and of course pure Canadian Maple Syrup warmed in the microwave with more softened butter to spread over them if desired.  Nutella for those with chocolate addiction.  The canned whipping cream that squirts out in mounds just for the fun of it…that never has enough depth of flavour to do my waffles real justice though, but the grandkids love it.  Custard pudding with raspberries in a sugar syrup smothering the waffles otoh…..

Edited by Calm
56 minutes ago, Calm said:

Joseph Smith, he is the most interesting one for me, but also the one I know best.  And I want to hear about his visions of heaven.

I would ask him his favorite take out and if he was clueless, get either Asian or pizza with root beer floats.  Gone are the days I can cook and socialize in the same evening.

Unless my daughter in law decides she wants to do us proud…then maybe shrimp scampi with my son’s homemade rolls and a fun fruit drink, maybe crepes for dessert.  Or Ginger Beef, the thing I miss most about Canada after the scenery and the weather…and the people.  :) 

Though I could make my family famous waffles.  Waffles are an important part of our family heritage as everyone in creation loved my grandma’s waffles.  I got her recipe but it never tasted the same, I am guessing she wasn’t so precise and added more butter and buttermilk than the recipe called for, they were so tender.  Anyway, I devoted the first 15 years of my marriage searching for the perfect waffle recipe, found it using heavy cream in a French recipe book (I bought massive cookbooks just for their slightly different waffle recipe) and then experimented with healthier versions and ended up just using the standard Betty Crocker waffle recipe like grandma used to use, but using whole milk, butter, and adding a cup of whole milk plain yogurt to a double batch.  For the last couple of years, when we want extra lightness and more protein, I substitute 1/4 to 1/2 almond flour.

My waffles are good enough for a prophet and I can make up a triple batch ahead of time ready to be cooked, so can be plenty rested.  My husband no doubt would make scrambled eggs and bacon to go with it.  We would get the fresh squeezed OJ to go along with milk and of course pure Canadian Maple Syrup warmed in the microwave with more softened butter to spread over them if desired.  Nutella for those with chocolate addiction.  The canned whipping cream that squirts out in mounds just for the fun of it…that never has enough depth of flavour to do my waffles real justice though, but the grandkids love it.  Custard pudding with raspberries in a sugar syrup smothering the waffles otoh…..

I'd definitely have Joseph Smith over for dinner, but for very different reasons. 

2 hours ago, Calm said:

Yum! Can I come, too?

27 minutes ago, Jerry Atric said:

Joseph Smith. But I would make sure my dinner with Joseph would be set up on ladies night, that way my wife wouldn't be at the house while Joseph and I are discussing churchy stuff. 

Why not?

I would like to have dinner with Pres. Lorenzo Snow. I would like to know more about that theophany he had or it was claimed he had when Pres. Woodruff died. I would have little caeser's pizza or dominoes pizza-everybody loves pizza!

Like others, Joseph Smith is the obvious choice, though a dinner would hardly suffice for the number of questions I would want to ask. As far as dinner goes, ribeye steak, Ceasar salad and asparagus followed by milkshakes for dessert. If I had to limit my questions to a single area, I would love to show him a copy of the KEP and Egyptian artifacts and have him explain what he was doing.

My second choice for such an encounter would be a bit larger group gathered for the same meal, sort of a round table discussion. Same meal because how can you beat a well-cooked ribeye?

Participants at the round table would be the prophet Joseph Fielding Smith, Bruce R. McConkie, James Talmadge and B.H. Roberts. And the topic of discussion would be; 'Is evolution from Satan or is man really a monkey's uncle?"

1 hour ago, CA Steve said:

That there is funny!

They had a box of Little Seizures (replaced just Caesars) taped on the wall of the room my daughter had her electro convulsive therapy sessions in.  That got me laughing as it was the first time I heard that joke.  They were quite casual, laidback there. It worked well given the circumstances.  I wonder if I still have a picture of it. 

7 hours ago, blackstrap said:

David O  as he was the prophet of my youth. I would hope for a pleasant dinner conversation about how things are going without a third degree interrogation .

I would prepare meat and potatoes. 

I'm curious why you said "third degree interrogation". I would want to have pleasant conversation as well even though we would be talking about serious subjects.

21 hours ago, Bernard Gui said:

If you could ask one Prophet of the Restoration to your home for dinner, which one would you invite? Why would you invite him? What would you like to talk about? What would you prepare for dinner?

SP's get to do that, but they don't get to pick.  😱

20 hours ago, MustardSeed said:

Anyone but BY.  Probably the present one, and I’d ask about his marriages.  

Id make salmon with my smoker and roasted veggies.  All heart healthy. 

Isn't smoking salmon against the WOW?

I never know if I should light the head or tail first

Joseph Smith would be the first and obvious choice.

Second would be either John Taylor - I'd want to know how things really were during the underground years; or Joseph F. Smith - I'd love to know what the prophet really thought about all the post manifesto/Mexico/Canada doublespeak on plural marriage.

And I serve them something either exotic or modern that they wouldn't have had the privilege to enjoy in their lifetimes.