struggling with my membership

marc

Hi All

I need help because i am struggling spiritually at the moment, i have been for a while and thought i would come here to try and get some answers and hopefully help me.

I believe in jesus christ and heavenly father and the holy ghost but that is where it ends. 

I was not born in to the church and was baptized when i was 21yrs old i am now 50. I married into a good LDS family married in the temple.

where i am struggling is that is this the true church, not just our church but christianity in general. When i look at christianity it is about following how Jesus lived his life not what he believed. As we all know Jesus was jewish and i am sure he would have had a bar mitzvah practiced the passover and over Jewish practices.  And the jewish people do not believe that jesus was the saviour  yet they read the Torah as their holy book which is the old testament yet they dont believe in the old testament, crazy huh.

Part of my struggle is should we not be following what the saviour believed and practice what he practiced in also live how he lived and still follow his ministry. My grandfather was jewish and although i didnt grow up jewish it is very close to my heart yet unlike jews i believe in christ and heavenly father and the holy ghost i guess that is why i am so confused. 

I do hope someone out there can give me some insight and good advice and tell me that i am not crazy

regards

Marc 

I am curious as to how you heard about us and what you think shows we might help you?  Not challenging you, just want to know in order for us to do it better if we can (not speaking for everyone on the board here, but there are many of us who post here to help and be helped).

——

Why do you say the Jews don’t believe in the Torah?  Are you speaking of even the religious ones?

Have you studied Judaism at the time of Christ so you can discuss what beliefs you think he had?  That would be helpful. 

If Jesus is truly the Son of God, why do you think he would believe only what Judaism taught and not just the correct beliefs because of what he knew from God the Father and being God himself, even if he lived within a Jewish culture and was respectful to it and to its faithful believers as opposed to the corrupt ones (I say “a” because there are and were variations of practices and beliefs within Judaism, just as there is with Christianity).

Edited by Calm
2 hours ago, Calm said:

I am curious as to how you heard about us and what you think shows we might help you?  Not challenging you, just want to know in order for us to do it better if we can (not speaking for everyone on the board here, but there are many of us who post here to help and be helped).

——

Why do you say the Jews don’t believe in the Torah?  Are you speaking of even the religious ones?

Have you studied Judaism at the time of Christ so you can discuss what beliefs you think he had?  That would be helpful. 

If Jesus is truly the Son of God, why do you think he would believe only what Judaism taught and not just the correct beliefs because of what he knew from God the Father and being God himself, even if he lived within a Jewish culture and was respectful to it and to its faithful believers as opposed to the corrupt ones (I say “a” because there are and were variations of practices and beliefs within Judaism, just as there is with Christianity).

Would this be a good time to invoke Raingirl?

Sorry, I would have messaged you, but I think your inbox is full.

Good questions!

I think this ran across my mind more than once. Shouldn't we live the religion that Jesus or the Savior lived? I think the church does say, once the Jewish people accept that He is the Savior then the church will so much be with them in every way. 

Maybe, Jesus was just a prophet and not the Savior as well. I've not done any homework so I will for sure sound pretty dumb. 

I would be down for just following Jesus for paving the way for loving thy neighbor. I don't need to believe in Adam and Eve, Noah's Ark, or God impregnating Eve with the Holy Ghost to have Himself (non LDS Christian view, I believe). I think men wrote the Bible, and I'm not sure how much is true. 

I do give a little bitty high five to the church for at least saying they believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it's translated correctly.

I believe that there is something beyond this world, I don't have a clue what that is, but I will hold out hope for it w/o making up stories to make people believe it. 

I believe the Bible people may have wanted to keep people from being wicked and sinful and even keep them civilized by bringing in many teachings that came from themselves.

But I hope that worked. I just wish that fairy tales aren't repeated or false stories that our forefathers or foremothers might tell in order for people to behave. I think people morally have a compass and they don't need lies or stories. But don't mind Jesus telling parables, that is a good bet. 

I don't believe in a devil, I think that's made up. So take my viewpoints with a grain of salt.

edited to add:

I read this article, where it says Jesus wasn't a prophet. And that in order for Him to be a Savior He must be born of mortal parents, both mother and father not by the Holy Ghost. I didn't know this and much much more.

https://www.simpletoremember.com/articles/a/jewsandjesus/

Edited by Tacenda
6 hours ago, marc said:

Hi All

I need help because i am struggling spiritually at the moment, i have been for a while and thought i would come here to try and get some answers and hopefully help me.

I believe in jesus christ and heavenly father and the holy ghost but that is where it ends. 

I was not born in to the church and was baptized when i was 21yrs old i am now 50. I married into a good LDS family married in the temple.

where i am struggling is that is this the true church, not just our church but christianity in general. When i look at christianity it is about following how Jesus lived his life not what he believed. As we all know Jesus was jewish and i am sure he would have had a bar mitzvah practiced the passover and over Jewish practices.  And the jewish people do not believe that jesus was the saviour  yet they read the Torah as their holy book which is the old testament yet they dont believe in the old testament, crazy huh.

Part of my struggle is should we not be following what the saviour believed and practice what he practiced in also live how he lived and still follow his ministry. My grandfather was jewish and although i didnt grow up jewish it is very close to my heart yet unlike jews i believe in christ and heavenly father and the holy ghost i guess that is why i am so confused. 

I do hope someone out there can give me some insight and good advice and tell me that i am not crazy

regards

Marc 

The Savior taught that after His Atonement, the Law of Moses would be fulfilled and would not need to be followed anymore and that then the children of God would need to follow the higher law. 

How do you reconcile that with the thoughts you've shared above?

2 hours ago, Stargazer said:

Would this be a good time to invoke Raingirl?

Sorry, I would have messaged you, but I think your inbox is full.

The best way to "invoke" her is to use the AT sign - - -

{background noises and rumblings and thunderings}  @Raingirl ! ! ! You are hereby SUMMONED ! ! ! :o

41 minutes ago, Okrahomer said:

Could someone possibly explain what the reference to @Raingirl actually means?  Is this line of questioning somehow within her personal expertise...?

Yes!

2 hours ago, Calm said:

I hate deleting conversations, lol. 

Yeah, I have a number of conversations that I love going back and reading, too. Some from some long-gone posters.

Jesus explicitly came to fulfill the law and He brought a higher law that is included in what His restored Church of Jesus Christ teaches.

But you wouldn't be the first church member who loved and honored things Jewish.  I was a BYU when I celebrated my first Passover with other students who were interested in the shared history.

If you have not read Jehovah of the World of the Old Testament.  and Jesus Christ of the World of the New Testament, those together should help you bridge the historical implications of His Gospel

On 8/26/2022 at 10:31 AM, Okrahomer said:

Could someone possibly explain what the reference to @Raingirl actually means?  Is this line of questioning somehow within her personal expertise...?

Raingirl practiced the Jewish religion before joining the church. I'm sure I worded that wrong, but can't think of a better way to say it.  

On 8/26/2022 at 2:09 AM, marc said:

Hi All

regards

Marc 

Could you give some examples please?

On 8/26/2022 at 4:09 AM, marc said:

regards

Marc 

Judaism never has been a single monolithic group, the were and are many sects, the Messianic Jews later largely became Christians. There have been newer branches of Messianic Judaism that believe in the New Testament and Christ, but each have a mix of the following beliefs; 7th Day Sabbath, Jewish Feasts and sometimes Kosher Laws and Name Theology (invoking Yhwh and Yeshua) but not all. They are otherwise a Christian religion but believes that Christians were still practicing Jewish customs because the New Testament doesn't explicitly forbid it (though many first Century documents do), and that Catholic traditions against Jewish Holy Days is a huge conspiracy of Emperor Constantine. I've attend for a full year in the past, made friends, nice folk, if you wanted to know how SOME reconcile Christian beliefs and Judaism.

HOWEVER, I think they have fallen for a conspiracy of the Jews to erase the original ancient origins of Christ. Jesus was no modern Jew, but as I said, there were many other Jews.

Most of Christ's family were priests from these other sects, his cousin John and his brother James, and maybe Jude, I am almost certain were Essene Jews. Essenes are widely regarded as the authors of the Dead Sea Scrolls and baptized people in the desert on the east side of the Jordan River (exactly were John did), there the Qumran community, possibly descendants of Old Testament Rechabites who formed after the fall of the kings... Anyways... focus.... 

The Dead Sea Scrolls tells us many things about the Jews that came back from the Babylonian captivity. Once upon a time, Israelites had a solar (365 day) calendar, such as the one in the book of Enoch, written on the High Priests staff that was laid in the lost Ark of the Covenant, after 75 years the Jews under Ezra returned with the Babylonian Luner 345 day calendar, which proves to the Essenes that the Babylonian exile Jews are apostate, their Holy Days are all on the wrong days. In accord with Bible prophecy that the Sabbaths and Feasts would cease. While Christ attended the synagogues on the Sabbath, that is not apart of Mosaic Law concerning Sabbath keeping but a later custom, and Christ seems to otherwise hold no regard for the Mosaic Sabbath laws.

When Ezra returned with his minority group, but backed with Persian money, forced those not lead captive out of Judea, forbid priests that weren't descended from Levi, forced Israelites who married people of the land to divorce their wives and disown their children. Those who refused went to Sameria and became the Sameritans, who formed their own priesthood. Prophets like Malachi says the Levitical priests were corrupt, that the mass divorces were wrong.  That the temple priesthood would one day be given to Gentiles. The Book of Enoch, which is in the Dead Sea Scrolls says the Second temple era was apostate, the temple is fated to be destroyed and for a new one is to be built.

What did Christ do? Claimed, as a non-Levite, to be a High Priest after Melchizedek, as the kings and patriarchs of old, issued a new law that superseded Moses (Sermon on the Mount), preached to both Jews and Samaritans, taught that divorce is wrong despite it being allowed in the law of Moses, created a 'royal priesthood', preached of the temple's destruction, while he administered temple initiation rites on mountain tops, eventually welcomed the Gentiles like Cornelius, without needing to obey a single Jewish Sabbath law or Kosher law. He taught that He was the incarnation of the God of Israel, yet he is not God the Father, who is his God.

I'm a Latter-day Saint, Mormonism is the only major religion that aligns with the original ancient religion that I believe in. The Book of Mormon starts with non-Levites, who escaped the Babylonian invasion, building temples away from Jerusalem, and held a non-Levitical priesthood, worshipped a preincarnate Christ, baptized, and condemned the church of Babylon. That is just surface information.

I could go on, I'm not certain if I'm helping, answering questions such as these, if you didn't know it before and comprehended this, it can only create more questions. I have answers to those but only if you want to travel down the rabbit hole. Most of my Messianic Jews enjoy fruits I bring, though they believe the tree it came is poisoned. My silly church can't possibly be true, Constantine invented the Lord's day (even though it was practiced 300 years before he was born), God is one (even though Psalms and Paul says there are many?), there can be no temples outside Jerusalem (even though there was a Jewish temple on Elephantine Island?), Yhwh may or may not respond to "Lord" (even though no one alive knows how to even pronounce YHWH? Ineffable by ignorance). But if they did not believe those things, they would cease to be apart of the churches they love. I understand, but they only refuse to accept it, not because its a fraud, they are merely calling it a fraud, because what its telling them is unacceptable. By all the evidence to come out in the last few decades shows what Joseph told us is true, they were all wrong.

l41zl.jpg

Edited by Pyreaux
On 8/26/2022 at 4:09 AM, marc said:

Hi All

regards

Marc 

Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob longed for the day of Christ and would have recognized it. They would not have followed the scribes and Pharisees who cried, "Crucify him". Speaking to His Brethren, His fellow Jews, Jesus said: "There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth, when you shall see Abraham and Isaac and Jacob, and all the prophets, in the kingdom of God, and you yourselves thrust out." (Luke 13:28)