Seriously No Politics ×

The bare minimum.

What do you think those guys with violin cases are packing? What? You’ve never seen them? They blend in well. 

Edited by Bernard Gui
6 hours ago, Bernard Gui said:

They look really scary, but any firearm is lethal.

Heck a Swiss Army knife is lethal too, or a hunk of rope.

Yes a .22 is lethal.

Of course!  ;)

On 8/28/2022 at 11:35 PM, Calm said:

... “hey, bishop, can we get an food order for the Bishops’ Storehouse this month as we need food and our mortgage pain [sic] ...

Freudian slip?  Typographical error?  Nah!  With interest rates as high as they are now (and going higher), that's all too true! :huh: :unknw: :( 

15 hours ago, Calm said:

And there have been times when police couldn’t get inside, etc.

Perhaps that has happened in the past, but currently, workers at the recommend desks are instructed to admit uniformed emergency personnel without hindrance; non-uniformed will be asked to show official ID, and news media are not to be admitted. 

41 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Perhaps that has happened in the past, but currently, workers at the recommend desks are instructed to admit uniformed emergency personnel without hindrance; non-uniformed will be asked to show official ID, and news media are not to be admitted. 

I was referring to the hostage taker stand off for a number of hours,  not any restriction that might have come from police not being members, etc..  There have been a couple of other incidents iirc.  Surely there is always some time between discovery of a threat and the arrival of police, the time when temple security is most likely in charge of trying to limit injuries and deaths.  

My bad to assume police were forced to stay outside in the one case though.  Even if the hostage taker was in the foyer and not an inner room, there would be other areas accessible to police in the temple.  I understand now he was on the seventh floor, so no doubt a number of police were eventually inside.  However, they were evacuating the temple before the police were there, so if there were guns inside the temple as JA claims, then that would have been the time for someone to have gone and gotten them (they were unlikely to be on the seventh floor, so probably easy to access…if they existed).  But no one did.  The most logical reason is because there is no gun room or gun in a safe inside the temple.

Edited by Calm
25 minutes ago, Calm said:

Surely there is always some time between discovery of a threat and the arrival of police, the time when temple security is most likely in charge of trying to limit injuries and deaths.  

This talk of “temple security” has me wondering. Is it a routine thing to have on-premises security at temples? I’m not aware of any at the temple where I serve. 

If the term is being defined rather broadly to include, say, the temple presidency, recorders and assistants, facility maintenance team — in other words, those charged to deal with emergencies — then, yes, I suppose there is a contingent that might loosely be regarded as “security.”

Edited by Scott Lloyd
22 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

This talk of “temple security” has me wondering. Is it a routine thing to have on-premises security at temples? I’m not aware of any at the temple where I serve. 

I was wondering this too. The closest to security I've seen is when the limited use recommends were the old style so the desk worker had to look extra close for youth temple trips. Unless of course maybe the nice ladies at the clothing rental desk have got some epic karate moves they can bust out if needed. Maybe they could chase an intruder to the baptistry and then flick them with a wet towel or something.

Edited by JustAnAustralian

I have seen pictures of men at gates, but only in a few cases that I remember and it may be from the same temple as besides the one case, I don’t remember the details. I would assume they wouldn’t have security except in places where a need was obvious (if people wander in a lot out of curiosity or intentionally try to intrude).  The picture I best remember is of the LA temple. Someone was taking a video and trying to get on the grounds with a dog and one or two men stopped him. Pretty sure they were in uniform and not a suit, but it has been a few years since I saw it. Perhaps Mark can confirm if the security there was an ongoing thing or just temporary.

I certainly have never encountered any I remember. Some men standing around the entrance is the closest and I assume they are there to help just like the women. Are any instructions given for the recommend desk, etc as far as security?  What do you do if anyone is disruptive. 

1 hour ago, Calm said:

I have seen pictures of men at gates, but only in a few cases that I remember and it may be from the same temple as besides the one case, I don’t remember the details. I would assume they wouldn’t have security except in places where a need was obvious (if people wander in a lot out of curiosity or intentionally try to intrude).  The picture I best remember is of the LA temple. Someone was taking a video and trying to get on the grounds with a dog and one or two men stopped him. Pretty sure they were in uniform and not a suit, but it has been a few years since I saw it. Perhaps Mark can confirm if the security there was an ongoing thing or just temporary.

I certainly have never encountered any I remember. Some men standing around the entrance is the closest and I assume they are there to help just like the women. Are any instructions given for the recommend desk, etc as far as security?  What do you do if anyone is disruptive. 

You mean if it’s too extreme for us to handle on our own? There are instructions, but I don’t know that I’m at liberty to discuss them, so I won’t. 

53 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

You mean if it’s too extreme for us to handle on our own? There are instructions, but I don’t know that I’m at liberty to discuss them, so I won’t. 

Probably wise not to. Knowing that there are is more than enough for me. Like to hear you are prepared. 

4 hours ago, Calm said:

Well I was at the LA temple, and it was pretty nasty with the prop 8 demonstrations.

Finally about 50 VERY large Islander brothers showed up and linked arms and just silently stood by the gates! It was great!

https://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-protest7-2008nov07-story.html

https://youtu.be/a97Ymzw0QgI

Edited by mfbukowski
14 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

If the term is being defined rather broadly to include, say, the temple presidency, recorders and assistants, facility maintenance team — in other words, those charged to deal with emergencies — then, yes, I suppose there is a contingent that might loosely be regarded as “security.”

I know about 10 years ago there was at Jordan River.  My blood sugar was low while I was waiting a long time for initiatory. I can't remember why I didn't get something to eat in the cafeteria.  One of the initiatory workers told me they weren't allowed to give me anything, but security could so they called security.  It has always puzzled me. 

If anyone thinks I might have misunderstood because my blood sugar was low, it wasn't that low - I just wanted to catch it before it went that low.

Edited by Rain
1 hour ago, Rain said:

I know about 10 years ago there was at Jordan River.  My blood sugar was low while I was waiting a long time for initiatory. I can't remember why I didn't get something to eat in the cafeteria.  One of the initiatory workers told me they weren't allowed to give me anything, but security could so they called security.  It has always puzzled me. 

If anyone thinks I might have misunderstood because my blood sugar was low, it wasn't that low - I just wanted to catch it before it went that low.

I think at our temple the engineer is authorized to administer first aid and such. Jordan River is substantially larger than Draper, so I suppose it’s possible they have a more robust staffing structure there. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/30/2022 at 12:10 PM, Scott Lloyd said:

The last time I was at the London Temple (this year) there was a man he had a badge that said Security and he carried a radio.  If I remember he had some sort of uniform (low key) while I was at the reception desk he came in. No one got excited that he was there, seemed like a regular thing.  I did not see him again after that.

Edited by Metis_LDS
clarity