Seriously No Politics ×

The Continued Decline of Young Men Willing to Serve a Mission

3 hours ago, Tacenda said:

When comparing to the pressure these young men/women are feeling I think there needs to be a balance.

What is the balance that you believe there needs to be (sincere question, not trying to be snarky)?  I think everyone on this thread (except maybe fether) has said that they do not support shaming YM for not going, nor do they support pressuring anyone to go.

4 hours ago, jkwilliams said:

Imagine someone in college saying to themselves, "It's long hours and low pay, but doggone it, I'm gonna fulfill my dream and brainwash some kids into hating God and America!"

Having spent 19 years of my life affiliated with four different universities (including two in America), I don't even need to imagine this.

Yes, I wonder why young men are declining to serve a mission.

Come, serve a mission where your companion might be an openly homosexual man, who will tell you all about the hot dates he has been on with other men, he will tell you about the other cute men that he sees on the street . . .but don't worry this openly homosexual companion will be perfectly worthy in every way b/c he doesn't "break the law of chastity".

If you are lucky as a young man serving a mission, you might even get to be part of a mission wide "diversity, and inclusion" mission conference where said young openly homosexual man will be asked to preach to all the other missionaries that if you find it weird, strange, or "gasp!!!!" even gross and disgusting to hear about all the other same-sex people your companion has dated or who thinks is hot or cute-you, you are the problem.

Hmmm . . . .I wonder why any young man would balk at serving a mission these days . . . .

And yes, the above is absolutely sanctioned by the Church today.

Edited by YJacket
8 minutes ago, YJacket said:

Come, serve a mission where your companion might be an openly homosexual man, who will tell you all about the hot dates he has been on with other men, he will tell you about the other cute men that he sees on the street . . .but don't worry this openly homosexual companion will be perfectly worthy in every way b/c he doesn't "break the law of chastity".

If you are lucky as a young man serving a mission, you might even get to be part of a mission wide "diversity, and inclusion" mission conference where said young openly homosexual man will be asked to preach to all the other missionaries that if you find it weird, strange, or "gasp!!!!" even gross and disgusting to hear about all the other same-sex people your companion has dated or who thinks is hot or cute-you, you are the problem.

Hmmm . . . .I wonder why any young man would balk at serving a mission these days . . . .

It must really suck when you can’t get your church to hate gay people as much as you do. 

3 minutes ago, jkwilliams said:

It must really suck when you can’t get your church to hate gay people as much as you do. 

It must really suck when you come to realize the false god of LGBTQ that you worship.

Yes, I'm sure every young man's dream of serving a mission is to get paired with another man who openly discussing the same-sex romantic dates he has been on, the cute men they see on the street. Or are homosexuals somehow a different class of being, who are more holy, more perfect, better than everyone else?

I served a mission, I had plenty of companions who talked about the girls they dated prior to their mission, or the cute girl at the candy shop . . .but for some reason you expect the openly homosexual young man to not do those things?

Or is it just that the god you worship is a false god who will fail.

Edited by YJacket
8 minutes ago, YJacket said:

It must really suck when you come to realize the false god of LGBTQ that you worship.

I’m not the one attacking the church for being tolerant. And last I checked, I don’t worship LGBTQ anything. Weird that you would even suggest that. I have always wondered what it is that makes people lose their **** over the existence of gay people. Life’s too short to live in perpetual panic. 

Edited by jkwilliams
5 minutes ago, jkwilliams said:

I’m not the one attacking the church for being tolerant. And last I checked, I don’t worship LGBTQ anything. Weird that you would even suggest that. I have always wondered what it is that makes people lose their **** over the existence of gay people. Life’s to short to live in perpetual panic. 

Ah, so instead of addressing the issue, you deflect and say I'm "attacking the Church".  That's real rich. Why don't you address the issue instead of hiding behind a cover?

I served a mission; I was attached at the hip 24-7 to other young men for 2 years.  

You think it is appropriate to put an 18 year old young man in a companionship with another young man 24-7 who openly declares to others that he is sexually attracted to men and that this young man (as long as he doesn't "break the law of chastity") can talk about the romantic same-sex dates that he has been on, talk about the cute men on his mission?

You think that's appropriate behavior?

I served not that long ago, and absolutely if another young man openly proclaimed he was homosexual he would be on a plane ride home pretty quickly.  So you can cut the crap with "tolerant" and call it what it is; changing standards.

It's not an attack to state plainly what has occurred.  The Church has changed it's standards.

You seem to believe (even though you will not directly address the concern) that those changes are good (of course you hide behind words like "tolerant") and proclaim anyone who does not think those changing standards as good as "attacking".

Edited by YJacket
2 minutes ago, YJacket said:

Ah, so instead of addressing the issue, you deflect and say I'm "attacking the Church".  That's real rich. Why don't you address the issue instead of hiding behind a cover?

I served a mission; I was attached at the hip 24-7 to other young men for 2 years.  

You think it is appropriate to put a young man in a companionship with another young man 24-7 who openly declares to others that he is sexually attracted to men and that this young man (as long as he doesn't "break the law of chastity") can talk about the romantic same-sex dates that he has been on, talk about the cute men on his mission?

You think that's appropriate behavior?

I served not that long ago, and absolutely if another young man openly proclaimed he was homosexual he would be on a plane ride home pretty quickly.  So you can cut the crap with "tolerant" and call it what it is; changing standards.

I stand by what I said: you are criticizing your own church for “changing standards.” Apparently, it upsets you that gay members can be open about their orientation as long as they remain celibate. Again, what is it that has you so upset?

28 minutes ago, YJacket said:

So is the orgy before or after these totally real mission conferences that are definitely sanctioned by “the Church”?

15 minutes ago, jkwilliams said:

I stand by what I said: you are criticizing your own church for “changing standards.” Apparently, it upsets you that gay members can be open about their orientation as long as they remain celibate. Again, what is it that has you so upset?

Are you for real?  I have stated it twice, I will state it again, plainly.

Do you believe it is appropriate for an openly homosexual young man to be a companion with, i.e. sleep in the same room, be attached 24-7, never leave the side of another young man, and that it is appropriate for that openly homosexual young man to discuss his romantic interests in other men with that young man?

edit:

I do appreciate the change in words.  Criticism is different than attack.  

And yes, on this issue I will absolutely criticize.  I would not want to be attached at the hip 24-7 with some other dude who is openly homosexual, who openly talks about the hot dudes on the street or the dates he went on prior to his mission.  Those who are currently making these policies are not following the golden rule principle.

No one alive who is making these current policies has EVER had to be attached at the hip 24-7 with another person of the same-sex who is openly homosexual . . .yet they are expecting young men and young women of today to do so?

There is a principle of leadership I learned a long time ago: never ask those you lead to do that which you are unwilling to do yourself. When the top leadership is willing to be attached at the hip 24-7 with another openly homosexual man for months on end, or when most of those who proclaim they are "tolerant" actually do it themselves, you might have a little more currency with me.

Until then, it's all a bunch of preening to look good and sacrificing young men and young women at your own vain alter in order to make yourself look good to the world.

It's all well and good to look good for the world and preen about how welcoming, accepting, tolerant, etc. everyone is . . .except no one is willing to actually understand or be willing to accept responsibility for the damage and harm that will come to those who are being experimented upon by completely changing standards.

And my children will not be collateral damage due to others desire to virtue signal their goodness.

Edited by YJacket
2 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

So is the orgy before or after these totally real mission conferences that are definitely sanctioned by “the Church”?

Ah so you have become passive aggressive and avoided the actual question. 

Again, it's a very SIMPLE and PLAIN question. 

Do you believe it is appropriate for an openly homosexual young man to be a companion with, i.e. sleep in the same room, be attached 24-7, never leave the side of another young man, and that it is appropriate for that openly homosexual young man to discuss his romantic interests in other men with that young man?

12 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

You see this is what I have learned about those who are part of the LGBTQETC ideology.  They never want to actually deal in specifics. They obfuscate, they evade, they avoid, they refuse to talk specifically about a particular issue.  They are slimy slippery fish.

They simply cannot and will not deal with massive can of worms they have opened up and so they deny, evade, avoid, they act like silly little children.

My 14 year old son does this.  

"Son, this thing right here you need to do better".

"Oh dad, you are telling me I can't do ANYTHING right".

"No, you need to do this specific thing better".

"Sigh . . .oh I'm just no good"

I have learned that the LGBTQETC group and their allies are a bunch of emotionally stunted individuals who simply are unable to actually debate rationally their position without doing exactly what you have done.

"Is it appropriate for openly homosexual young men serving a mission to speak about their previous romantic dates"

"So is the orgy before or after".

Yes, exactly.  Your argument for openly homosexual missionaries is so incredibly vapid, so weak, so vain that you simply cannot and will not address the direct issue without some insane, illogical, unreasonable, hyperbolic, shrill protest.

Edited by YJacket
50 minutes ago, YJacket said:

I actually dislike the term homophobia, but for you, I think it might actually be appropriate. 

16 minutes ago, YJacket said:

Ah so you have become passive aggressive and avoided the actual question. 

Again, it's a very SIMPLE and PLAIN question. 

I was going to claim I lived most of this. I had a gay companion.  I have to admit it doesn’t exactly match since you put the word “openly” is in there. I guess “don’t ask, don’t tell” removes the potential danger then? So homosexual missionaries can serve as long as they are closeted? 

13 minutes ago, YJacket said:

You see this is what I have learned about those who are part of the LGBTQETC ideology.  They never want to actually deal in specifics. They obfuscate, they evade, they avoid, they refuse to talk specifically about a particular issue.  They are slimy slippery fish.

They simply cannot and will not deal with massive can of worms they have opened up and so they deny, evade, avoid, they act like silly little children.

My 14 year old son does this.  

"Son, this thing right here you need to do better".

"Oh dad, you are telling me I can't do ANYTHING right".

"No, you need to do this specific thing better".

"Sigh . . .oh I'm just no good"

I have learned that the LGBTQETC group and their allies are a bunch of emotionally stunted individuals who simply are unable to actually debate rationally their position without doing exactly what you have done.

"Is it appropriate for openly homosexual young men serving a mission to speak about their previous romantic dates"

"So is the orgy before or after".

I feel sorry for your son.

You want me to rationally debate a missionary’s gay panic at working with a gay guy? That is an emotional situation. It is not rational. Only an emotionally stunted individual would believe gay panic is something that needs a lot of rational debate. I would know. I just learned I am emotionally stunted.

Yes, exactly.  Your argument for openly homosexual missionaries is so incredibly vapid, so weak, so vain that you simply cannot and will not address the direct issue without some insane, illogical, unreasonable, hyperbolic, shrill protest.

Says the person scared the gay missionary is going to give him cooties.

1 hour ago, YJacket said:

No, the bolded is not "absolutely sanctioned by the church today".

43 minutes ago, YJacket said:

And yes, on this issue I will absolutely criticize.  I would not want to be attached at the hip 24-7 with some other dude who is openly homosexual, who openly talks about the hot dudes on the street or the dates he went on prior to his mission.

The companion will let his Mission president know what is happening and if that missionary continues to do it he will be sent home.

36 minutes ago, JAHS said:

The companion will let his Mission president know what is happening and if that missionary continues to do it he will be sent home.

And possibly vice-versa if the depraved homosexual reports that the virtuous heterosexual talks endlessly about the hot women on the street or his dates before his mission.

So basically the solution is to pair them up with a bisexual guy like me and I can entertain them both with threesome fantasies that affirm both sexualities.

HOORAY! I AM HELPING!

Edited by The Nehor
2 hours ago, YJacket said:

I don’t believe it unless missionaries are “sanctioned” to talk about all the women openly male heterosexual missionaries are attracted and last I heard this was highly discouraged.

1 hour ago, YJacket said:

who openly talks about the hot dudes on the street or the dates he went on prior to his mission. 

I would hate to be partner with a sister who openly talks about the hot dudes on the street or the dates she went on prior to his mission.

Are you actually claiming this is seen as appropriate by some leadership when it is inappropriate that heterosexuals do it on their missions?

56 minutes ago, JAHS said:

Would the same thing happen with a heterosexual missionary drooling over the opposite sex?  The former missionaries in my family say any missionary doing this over anyone would be a concern, but the youngest just turned 40.

Edited by Calm
2 hours ago, YJacket said:

Yes, I'm sure every young man's dream of serving a mission is to get paired with another man who openly discussing the same-sex romantic dates he has been on, the cute men they see on the street. Or are homosexuals somehow a different class of being, who are more holy, more perfect, better than everyone else?

I served a mission, I had plenty of companions who talked about the girls they dated prior to their mission, or the cute girl at the candy shop . . .but for some reason you expect the openly homosexual young man to not do those things?

Or is it just that the god you worship is a false god who will fail.

You really should ratchet back this kind of rhetoric.  People could get the impression that you are bigoted or something.

37 minutes ago, Calm said:

Would the same thing happen with a heterosexual missionary drooling over the opposite sex?  The former missionaries in my family say any missionary doing this over anyone would be a concern, but the youngest just turned 40.

It happened on my mission and the mission president gave my companion a tongue lashing and told him to stop or else. He never did it again after that.